El Pollo Loco

NFHS Wrestling Survey

Personally I would love to have rules closer to college, I just don't think we can have riding time because of all the incompetent table workers. 4-Point nearfall would completely change the sport but I think it would be better.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

Personally I would love to have rules closer to college, I just don't think we can have riding time because of all the incompetent table workers. 4-Point nearfall would completely change the sport but I think it would be better.

This is true.  But think about it.  If a kid gets a once in a lifetime throw (headlock) now he would get 2 takedown and 4 nearfall?  That's 6-0, it's hard enough to come back from 5-0. 

I also like the idea that if the score is tied, you get put on your back for 3 NF you can still get an escape and a takedown to tie it up.  (More action, not just trying a throw)

If you add a 3 point 1st takedown.  Ahhh. 

I'm all for making things more clear for kids, coaches, and officials. Bring high school and middle school closer to college rules. 4 pt near fall, out of bounds rules. Leave out the riding time. Makes things for everyone closer to the same.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pin4thewin said:

Was riding time suggested? 

4 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

This is true.  But think about it.  If a kid gets a once in a lifetime throw (headlock) now he would get 2 takedown and 4 nearfall?  That's 6-0, it's hard enough to come back from 5-0. 

In a world of 4 point near-fall, comebacks are not only possible, but will likely happen more frequently.  No lead is safe in that environment.

I see the 4 point nf as a negative.  As tough as scoring is in a good matchup, every point scored is a significant advantage.  Overcoming a 6 point deficit is extremely tough.

I know my opinion is wildly unpopular, but I would rather see a move to freestyle rules rather than college rules.  More energy, excitement, and action, better preparation for international competition, etc.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:23 AM, Ranger123 said:

3 pt first takedown creates too many complications.  Either change all TD to 3 or leave it 2.

3pt takedowns would warm this cold heart of mine.

I would love the college out of bounds rule, except that most gyms/tournaments do not have the space to allow for this. We saw this at SS2 with Ryle having mats against the wall. Larger tournaments would have to use less mats, resulting in longer days or fewer teams competing.

Too often a ref will call the competitors out of bounds when one will be right there on a takedown or reversal. 

GOO, think about a 3 pt throw for the 1st TD then a 4 pt NF. The kid is up 7! It may make for an exciting 1st period, but after that, the match would consist of coasting to protect the lead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tbagnky said:

GOO, think about a 3 pt throw for the 1st TD then a 4 pt NF. The kid is up 7! It may make for an exciting 1st period, but after that, the match would consist of coasting to protect the lead.

Exactly what I don't want to think about.