DrBaker

Sportsmanship

It’s not talked about enough. It’s expected in this sport, but not always shown. My friends and I all noticed a kid that was dominant and gracious at the same time. He pinned an opponent and helped him up. He wrestled a great match in the finals and shook his opponent’s hand and even hugged him. Caleb Mayes showed he is to be feared at 144 and that he is a great kid. 

• Like 4

I don't understand the praise for this kid. Dude is an illinois kid. His dad is the coach for Anna Jonesboro illinois. That's where he lives and went to school k-11. Couldn't get it done in his own state, so he come and takes a title away from a real kentucky kid. 

18 minutes ago, CradleKY said:

why is he listed on the Anna Janesboro '22-23 roster?  join PT team mid season?  https://aj81.net/athletics/wrestling/

either way, congrats to PT.

LOL. He is pictured in a photo from last year you clown. You got three different UC fans in here arguing with each other.  You other knuckleheads need to follow Dr. Baker's lead and show some class. 

We have a governing body that determines athletic eligibility and I assume since Mays was on top of the podium at their event the KHSAA said he was cleared to compete. Having said that, all I have seen from that young man this year is a passion for the sport and character that should be modeled by all. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El cucuy said:

I don't understand the praise for this kid. Dude is an illinois kid. His dad is the coach for Anna Jonesboro illinois. That's where he lives and went to school k-11. Couldn't get it done in his own state, so he come and takes a title away from a real kentucky kid. 

I'm glad he came. I hope more Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and other states studs move in. Kentucky has a depth issue and more talent no matter where they are from is never a bad thing. He even beat my guy in the finals and I'm saying this lol

57 minutes ago, Elite Training Center KY said:

I'm glad he came. I hope more Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and other states studs move in. Kentucky has a depth issue and more talent no matter where they are from is never a bad thing. He even beat my guy in the finals and I'm saying this lol

I agree with the depth thing, but ky is getting better look at 138 the trinity kid didn't place and he's good. I just didn't understand from an honor point of view. 

3 hours ago, El cucuy said:

You don't let facts get in the way of your story, do you? 

4 minutes ago, El cucuy said:

I agree with the depth thing, but ky is getting better look at 138 the trinity kid didn't place and he's good. I just didn't understand from an honor point of view. 

Great example! What state do you think the 138 from Trinity lives in? Does honor come into play here or not because he has been going to school in Kentucky since elementary? If I was Mays and had the chance to go to PT and train with Malachi Rider and Frazier everyday throw a PT on my singlet we winning a team title lol. He did what is best for himself and It happened to help a team in the meantime. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El cucuy said:

EXACTLY! Only kids who were born in Kentucky deserve to be praised on here. There is no honor in making a commitment to your own development.  El cuckoo, whoever you are, I look forward to many years of entertainment spewing forth from your keyboard!

2 hours ago, El cucuy said:

Hello El cucuy,

Unfortunately, I came across this post taking frustration out on a kid(my kid). I at least hope this post is an emotional response to frustration. My kid will read this and don't need to deal with this type of negativity. He is good to everyone he comes across. If he was not, I would like to know so we can correct it. The reasons we moved to Paducah are none of your business, but several from your team(UC?) are aware of the circumstances. We didn't come here to take anything away from a "real Kentucky kid".  If you knew the circumstance, you wouldn't have posted what you did. You are welcome to check with your wrestlers(Last summers, Kentucky Fargo kids, one was his roommate) if you desire the need to know. We respect every wrestler and coach we have competed against. Yes, he didn't get it done in Illinois, and that is the reason he spent six or seven days a week in the gym since last Feb, wrestled every opportunity he could, and did extra training sessions before school and after practice to become a better version of himself. It's called resilience. This is also the reason he is so passionate about the sport and wore his heart on his chest after winning against a feared and very respected opponent in the finals. 

We are thankful for a great season and the ability to spend his last year competing in Kentucky. Caleb has made many friends here through wrestling, and we feel blessed for that opportunity. He is eager to represent Kentucky this off-season in freestyle/Greco and beyond when he wrestles in college. I hope; eventually, you will get to know him, and you will accept him as one of your own Kentucky wrestling representatives. Thanks to everyone who has supported him during his journey this year. And we wish all of you the very best.

• Upvote 5

from the Paducah paper in December:

Paducah Tilghman’s Caleb Mays signed to continue his wrestling career at the collegiate level with Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, on Dec. 15 in a ceremony held at Tilghman. The Blue Tornado began his career in wrestling at the age of five years old with the Anna-Jonesboro Junior Wildcats. He continued to wrestle with USA Wrestling’s Future Olympians in the seventh grade. While at Anna-Jonesboro High School, Mays wrestled in his first three high school years in the 132 and 145-lb weight classes. “We are grateful to have a young man as motivated and driven as Caleb is to be a part of our program,” head coach Seth Livingston said. “He’s been here just a few months but has made an immediate impact. The commitment that he’s made to improving is unmatched. He was a sought-after recruit because college coaches saw in him the love of doing the work and the love of the sport. “I am confident that he will take that commitment with him into college and do well.” Report an ad He qualified for the Illinois High School Association state wrestling tournament during his sophomore and junior years at Anna-Jonesboro. Mays transferred to Paducah Tilghman as a senior and is currently wrestling with the Blue Tornado

There is certainly nothing wrong with a kid changing schools to find a better opportunity to wrestle in big matches.  did his dad Grover remain the coach at Anna Jonesboro? they had a good season too but probably wish they had their 145 

30 minutes ago, CradleKY said:

from the Paducah paper in December:

Paducah Tilghman’s Caleb Mays signed to continue his wrestling career at the collegiate level with Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, on Dec. 15 in a ceremony held at Tilghman. The Blue Tornado began his career in wrestling at the age of five years old with the Anna-Jonesboro Junior Wildcats. He continued to wrestle with USA Wrestling’s Future Olympians in the seventh grade. While at Anna-Jonesboro High School, Mays wrestled in his first three high school years in the 132 and 145-lb weight classes. “We are grateful to have a young man as motivated and driven as Caleb is to be a part of our program,” head coach Seth Livingston said. “He’s been here just a few months but has made an immediate impact. The commitment that he’s made to improving is unmatched. He was a sought-after recruit because college coaches saw in him the love of doing the work and the love of the sport. “I am confident that he will take that commitment with him into college and do well.” Report an ad He qualified for the Illinois High School Association state wrestling tournament during his sophomore and junior years at Anna-Jonesboro. Mays transferred to Paducah Tilghman as a senior and is currently wrestling with the Blue Tornado

There is certainly nothing wrong with a kid changing schools to find a better opportunity to wrestle in big matches.  did his dad Grover remain the coach at Anna Jonesboro? they had a good season too but probably wish they had their 145 

You aren't helping yourself here. The date is December 15th.  School started back up a 'few' months before that. I can't find a point to what you are saying? His dad was in the stands every meet that Caleb wrestled in. Maybe he was coaching Anna via Facetime? 

Caleb isn't the only kid who has transferred schools. Yes, he did come from another state, but as a union fan you cannot complain. Many years ago both of the raney's were at McCracken and now they were Union's only 2 state champs this year.

2 hours ago, El cucuy said:

You’re right. No coaches who move to this state to help improve it should get praised, either. I mean, where’s the honor in moving to a situation with the goal of making it better than when you first arrived? If you’re in a bad spot, you should serve a life sentence in that situation.

There was no complaint when Mark Hall came here, or Nathan and Trevor Boston came here, or David Carr, or Jacob and Jarius Murton. These just popped to the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.  

Just now, grappler-of-old said:

There was no complaint when Mark Hall came here, or Nathan and Trevor Boston came here, or David Carr, or Jacob and Jarius Murton. These just popped to the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.  

Trevor is like a brother to me, but I think you mean Trevor and Kyle Lawson haha. Also I was born in Lexington and lived here for a while then came back to be fair. If anything I went and took some Indiana titles, poor kids. Lol

• Like 1

I, for one, believe that a kid should be able to transfer to whatever school he or she wishes without any penalty. The only argument against this is that only certain schools would get the best athletes. So what? The only reason you wouldn't want it is so that your school doesn't lose said athlete. If we are looking at the best interests of the kids, then they should be able to attend where they feel they have the best opportunity to succeed. Transfer rules only punish kids, athletes in particular. Not so in other scholastic activities.

Example: Timmy is an excellent trumpet player. He really wants to get a music scholarship for college. The school he attends does not have the best band program and limits his ability to obtain that scholarship. Lafayette, however, has an amazing band program that regularly sends kids to college. Timmy transfers and is able to perform and compete (yes there are band competitions, both ensemble and solo) immediately, without sitting out a year. He then gets his coveted scholarship.

We should be thankful for kids, like Caleb, coming to our state to compete and that more of our own kids don't move to Ohio, Indiana or Illinois to get more exposure. Ever wonder how many D1 coaches attend those State tournaments?

I love the pride and passion that each school's fan base has in this state. It belies the sport itself. But the interests of the kids are hardly ever the 1st thing we think about when we discuss the transfer rules. We only worry about how it affects our respective team. Could this hurt certain teams and make others only stronger? Yes. But I believe the collective sport(s) will be better and force schools to get better.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Dr Baker couldn’t have said it better about this young man.  I had the pleasure of being around him at senior nationals in Tulsa and Fargo.  Nothing but a respectful and humble young man!  Congratulations on a state title!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

I, for one, believe that a kid should be able to transfer to whatever school he or she wishes without any penalty. The only argument against this is that only certain schools would get the best athletes. So what? The only reason you wouldn't want it is so that your school doesn't lose said athlete. If we are looking at the best interests of the kids, then they should be able to attend where they feel they have the best opportunity to succeed. Transfer rules only punish kids, athletes in particular. Not so in other scholastic activities.

Example: Timmy is an excellent trumpet player. He really wants to get a music scholarship for college. The school he attends does not have the best band program and limits his ability to obtain that scholarship. Lafayette, however, has an amazing band program that regularly sends kids to college. Timmy transfers and is able to perform and compete (yes there are band competitions, both ensemble and solo) immediately, without sitting out a year. He then gets his coveted scholarship.

We should be thankful for kids, like Caleb, coming to our state to compete and that more of our own kids don't move to Ohio, Indiana or Illinois to get more exposure. Ever wonder how many D1 coaches attend those State tournaments?

I love the pride and passion that each school's fan base has in this state. It belies the sport itself. But the interests of the kids are hardly ever the 1st thing we think about when we discuss the transfer rules. We only worry about how it affects our respective team. Could this hurt certain teams and make others only stronger? Yes. But I believe the collective sport(s) will be better and force schools to get better.

I partially agree with this.  However if constant transfers occur then there is no competition for the few schools getting all the transfers and programs will cease to exist. I like the idea of one transfer with no questions asked.  That will keep some from multiple transfers, and make them think hard about the 1st transfer.  

On 2/27/2023 at 8:09 AM, El cucuy said:

Really? Why does it matter? Instead of worrying about transfers you should be worried about 19 year olds wrestling 15 and 16 year olds!

6 hours ago, Debo said:

Really? Why does it matter? Instead of worrying about transfers you should be worried about 19 year olds wrestling 15 and 16 year olds!

OK you have made this mention in two topics.  I looked at both Ohio and Indiana.  What is your beef?????

Indiana ----1. Age Eligibility (Rule 4). You will not have turned 20 by the scheduled date of the state finals of IHSAA Tournament Series in your sport

Ohio---

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation)

Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.