Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State Duals

Congratulations to our 3 champions

1A -Union Co

2A - Paducah Tilghman 

3A - Great Crossing 

As the President of the coaches association,  we would like to ask how the coaches and fans felt about the move to 3 divisions. 

I was at 1A and felt like it was a great day. Some young new teams that were ecited to be there. A couple teams that have been around a seldom if ever made it there, they seemed to have great energy from their teams and happy to be there. Also a quick day and Nelson Co was an amazing host. 

From what I heard in the other ones, much of the same. Lots of great duals. Teams excited to get there and place. And great hosts in Taylor Co and Atherton. 

Would love to have feedback to make it the best events we can

Seems watered down. There are not that many schools with wrestling to begin with. Splitting three ways doesn’t give you the best duals possible. Call me old school but I liked it better when it was one tournament. You can’t tell me that a tournament with Union, PT, Great crossing, JC, Ryle, Walton V, Trinity wouldn’t have been better. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Alf said:

Seems watered down. There are not that many schools with wrestling to begin with. Splitting three ways doesn’t give you the best duals possible. Call me old school but I liked it better when it was one tournament. You can’t tell me that a tournament with Union, PT, Great crossing, JC, Ryle, Walton V, Trinity wouldn’t have been better. 

Shamrock Slam the last weekend was pretty close.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Alf said:

Its no different than football.  Wouldn't it be better to see Trinity, Highland, Beachwood, St X. Mayfield, Boyle Co. and Cov. Cath.  play it out.  

If you return to one tournament then only 12-16 teams participate.  The rest will have to try and find a place to wrestle and have less interest in the event. 

12 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Its no different than football.  Wouldn't it be better to see Trinity, Highland, Beachwood, St X. Mayfield, Boyle Co. and Cov. Cath.  play it out.  

If you return to one tournament then only 12-16 teams participate.  The rest will have to try and find a place to wrestle and have less interest in the event. 

As you, Teater and I discussed over Lunch this exact thing.

I was in the camp of keep it one division and then keep it two divisions.

The 3 divisions give different areas on the state something to fight for. 

If it’s the old way, you don’t get the Carter schools, Holmes, potentially bell or Nelson co to qualify.  That’s not knock at those 5 teams it’s just the facts. 

It does help with growth. Cannot deny that. I just hope Kywca can keep the duals moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halfhalfhalf said:

As you, Teater and I discussed over Lunch this exact thing.

I was in the camp of keep it one division and then keep it two divisions.

The 3 divisions give different areas on the state something to fight for. 

If it’s the old way, you don’t get the Carter schools, Holmes, potentially bell or Nelson co to qualify.  That’s not knock at those 5 teams it’s just the facts. 

It does help with growth. Cannot deny that. I just hope Kywca can keep the duals moving forward.

I agree with this but I know that some teams have an open date this week why couldn’t we do a 3 way duel between the 3 winners 

Nothing beat the State Duals hosted by Henry Clay when it was just one division. I think multiple divisions will help the sport grow, but it is definitely watered down. At what point do we stop further dividing into more classes? Not just talking about duals, but individual championships as well. Virginia once had a super competitive 3 class set up. Now there are six classes and there are wrestlers winning state championships that just aren't that good. I really hope we stay with one class for the individual state championships. 

32 minutes ago, Aceboogie006 said:

I agree with this but I know that some teams have an open date this week why couldn’t we do a 3 way duel between the 3 winners 

Those duals took place the previous weekend when PT, Union and GC wrestled each other.

11 hours ago, Alf said:

Seems watered down. There are not that many schools with wrestling to begin with. 

Wrestling 135 teams 3 divisions.  Abut 45 per division.

Football 211 teams (unless I missed one or two) 6 divisions about 35 per division. 

How is this any different? Yet no-one seems to complain about football. 

The entire football world complains about a 6-class football alignment. Go to Bluegrass Preps around playoff time and it’s all anyone talks about. 

I liked the 3-class thing this year for growth but once we get things off the ground I would prefer going back to 2-classes. Some great individual matches at 1A where I was this year and some “newer” teams there who were a surprise. We’ve grown girls’ wrestling, more boys’ teams are adding, now we have to ensure we grow our officiating pool next year and beyond! Good things happening here in KY…we just have to keep going upwards and not back track. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Those duals took place the previous weekend when PT, Union and GC wrestled each other.

Great Crossing 42 Paducah Tilghman 24

Union County 41  Paducah Tilghman 35

Union County 55  Great Crossing 18

6 minutes ago, ClamChowder said:

Great Crossing 42 Paducah Tilghman 24

Union County 41  Paducah Tilghman 35

Union County 55  Great Crossing 18

Wrestled under different circumstances/importance than the dual state championship. I am sure lineups, wrestlers, and coaching strategies would have been changed some.

3 classes is a good thing. Getting more involved is always a good thing. Different competition is a good thing. It's only watered down if you see it as watered down. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, technicalfall15 said:

Wrestled under different circumstances/importance than the dual state championship. I am sure lineups, wrestlers, and coaching strategies would have been changed some.

The posted results were just in the interest of this chain. You could be right, but when 6 top 10 teams face off, I would think they would bring it. It should be a good tournament.

2 minutes ago, ClamChowder said:

The posted results were just in the interest of this chain. You could be right, but when 6 top 10 teams face off, I would think they would bring it. It should be a good tournament.

I don't disagree with your statement and not saying any scores would change. I think the importance of the state duals is a motivator though. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Wrestling 135 teams 3 divisions.  Abut 45 per division.

Football 211 teams (unless I missed one or two) 6 divisions about 35 per division. 

How is this any different? Yet no-one seems to complain about football. 

People complain about 6 classes in football ALOT. Just visit any message board around playoff time, and you'll see plenty of calls to return to 4 divisions, or that things are "too watered down". Just like how so many constantly harp on the fact that Ky basketball is the best thing going because there is only one state champ.

5 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

People complain about 6 classes in football ALOT. Just visit any message board around playoff time, and you'll see plenty of calls to return to 4 divisions, or that things are "too watered down". Just like how so many constantly harp on the fact that Ky basketball is the best thing going because there is only one state champ.

I stand corrected (I don't really follow football).  If it was 4 divisions then that's about 53 teams a division.  Close to what wrestling has with 3. 

I think long term 3 divisions (for duals only) gives the sport something to grow in to. Right now I think we’re a big 2 division state. 

But as we speak a couple dozen announcements are running through schools around the state hyping up the success of their program. 

last week a few dozen schools wished their athletes good luck in the event.

That kind of hype is what grows the population of the sport. Maybe it doesn’t add any new teams, but there’s 36 schools right now that likely are going to have a handful more sign ups next year due to their schools success. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Alf said:

Let’s just cut the middle man and hand Union County 3 trophies while we are at it

4 minutes ago, 385 said:

Let’s just cut the middle man and hand Union County 3 trophies while we are at it

If they are the best team year after year then I’d give fine with that. Let’s be honest, they are the best team so isn’t every thing else just participation trophies? I get that it helps grow the sport and that’s awesome, but if a 1A school routinely beats everyone in the state doesn’t that show that there isn’t a reason to have 3 divisions?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alf said:

If they are the best team year after year then I’d give fine with that. Let’s be honest, they are the best team so isn’t every thing else just participation trophies? I get that it helps grow the sport and that’s awesome, but if a 1A school routinely beats everyone in the state doesn’t that show that there isn’t a reason to have 3 divisions?

Ohio state championships are 3 divisions…

• Downvote 1

Kentucky is one of very few states in the entire country with a single division state tournament. I’ve seen a state that actually did dilute its competition to the point that the coaches became upset (Virginia) but Kentucky is not at that point at all