coachteater

Girls Rankings 1/27/23

So I will say that it was my idea to use these brackets. With the numbers and situation, I felt this was the best option. 

That being said, I never try to make any decision alone or without options. I reached out to several coaches and presented multiple options. Of those options, it was felt this was the best way to procede.  

From day one with girls wrestling we have had a main goal or building numbers and getting sanctioned.  We have built the numbers and barring any unforeseen circumstances,  it will be sanctioned at the next boc meeting. 

We also have pushed to add to the kywca membership and encourage all coaches at all levels to not just join, but participate and engage with coaches and bring ideas to the table to help advance our sport in Kentucky.  

We have also expanded to two section reps from one. We did this so more coaches felt they had a voice and interact. 

From a complete coaches contact list, to social media, to clinics, and meetings, we are doing all we can to make sure everyone has a voice. We never want anyone to feel as if they cant present an idea or to feel that things are decided by any one person.

Good luck to every wrestler this weekend and every coach. I truly hope that all the amazing things happening with wrestling in Kentucky are not continuously over shadowed by negativity and that the good far outweighs the bad in the overall scheme of it all. 

Best regards,  

Scotty Teater

One way to solve the 9-24 brackets is a pool to bracket tourney.  I know that is not how the boys do it, but they do it in the Olympics.  A 24 girl weight class can be done with no 5 match rule problems. Over 24 that's another animal. 

18 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

One way to solve the 9-24 brackets is a pool to bracket tourney.  I know that is not how the boys do it, but they do it in the Olympics.  A 24 girl weight class can be done with no 5 match rule problems. Over 24 that's another animal. 

There we go GOO.  Good thinking.

56 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Just to clarify, those options were looked at. What we went with is just what we felt was the best option. 

3 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

instead of bashing it, why not offer a solution that makes sense. We didn’t just pull some crap out of our rear end. This has been something we’ve had to look at since Christmas. 

myself, Teater, Ashbrook, Che and Spencer aren’t hard to find. 

Settle down.  I asked who decided it and when, and now you've given me a few names.  Thanks for that.  But I still wonder about the system of decision making.  For example, middle school isn't sanctioned, but we have a process in place for these types of decisions to be made, with a board of officers, official votes, etc.  Is there something like that for girls wrestling that I just wasn't aware of?

3 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Wrestle backs do not offer the opportunity to finish out as most would run into 5 match rule in the semi finals or just before…. 

OK...  In a 32 man bracket, IF you lost in the first or second round without a bye (worst case scenario) and then won 4 in a row, you'd have locked in top-8 in this situation, even if you have to forfeit out due to the 5-match rule.  But in the system we're planning to use, you are already locked out of the top-8 as soon as you lost that first match.  Even if it was against the #1 seed.  So I would prefer we just let wrestle backs happen until they can't. 

If it were your athlete, would you rather be forced to forfeit out and take 8th place, or would you rather have no chance to wrestle back to the top 8 after losing in the first round?  This just reminds me of boys semi-states during COVID, when only top-2 go to states and wrestle-backs were meaningless. 

2 hours ago, coachteater said:

Just to clarify, those options were looked at. What we went with is just what we felt was the best option. 

I hesitated to post, because I know I am by far not the smartest berry in the bunch.  Just wanted to give some help if possible. 

I can’t wait for State! There couple brackets that am looking at and there are stack! Like 152 and 145…. Anyone of those girls can win it!! Plus’s seen the Messerly’s make history!! 

Coach Teater and the coaches throughout the state have done an excellent job of promoting and growing girls wrestling. This format may not have been acceptable to everyone, but when you try to please everybody in this day and age, you'll just end up in a mental ward.

That being said, the young lady that our school sent lost to one of the finalists in her 1st match. She then went on to win her consolation bracket. She was understandably upset and disappointed when she found out that she was not going to place.

I'm sure that there are similar situations with other young ladies. Maybe GOO was right with the pool idea. However, that format makes for an extremely long day and can't be done with over 400 competitors and limited mat space.

This all could be moot next year with sanctioning by the KHSAA. Maybe I'm biased because of my closeness with the kids on the team, specifically the family of this young lady. 

Thank you, Coach T, gator, Ashbrook, Che, and Spencer for trying to accomplish an impossible task with limited resources. The goal is to grow this sport and in having a State Championship for all of these girls to strive for is a major step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

I'm sure that there are similar situations with other young ladies. Maybe GOO was right with the pool idea. However, that format makes for an extremely long day and can't be done with over 400 competitors and limited mat space.

This is incorrect if you have a 24 person wt class.  A pool tourney will have 32 matches whereas a 32 man bracket ran the way it was done it had 42 matches. 

Pool tourneys almost always run faster than full bracket tourneys.