Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2022-23 Season Rankings - Jan 13

I know I know it took a bit this week.  30 is a LOT to get through on a weekly basis and get any sleep at all.

A few highlights:

- Yes, Union County has rocketed to the top of the rankings this week and by a fairly good margin.  At this point it would be hard to see them losing in either a dual or tournament format to anyone in the state.

- Teams 2-4 are a relatively tight group.  After removing wrestlers who have not competed Trinity slides back just a bit, but sits in the 5 spots alone.

- WOWs of this week are:

1) Colton Lewis (PRP - 285) who has been dominant this season and pinned the top ranked wrestler in the state

2) Another Union Co wrestler on the list, Jeremy Ray (138) takes out top ranked wrestler to help propel his team to the top of the Johnny Drennan and the rankings

3) Louisville Western - got to see these guys and their coaching staff up close this weekend and I am very impressed with the work and effort these guys are putting in.  From a team on the brink of being dropped to a full lineup with some really solid kids.  Hopefully we see the same progression from teams like Eastern and Ballard that are just getting back on the mat.

Big matchup I am excited to watch tomorrow.  At 157 #1 Charlie McKune and #2 Braedon Herron.  Should be a great one at Great Crossing tomorrow.

Rankings_22_23_0113.pdf

This season is a fun one! Paducah and Johnson Central with some big wins and Trinity with a title challenger back can be right in the hunt. 

• Downvote 1

Surprised that Favorite,Moncrief, and Walton dropped. Last week at CWIT Moncrief got 2nd and Favorite got 3rd in 132LB. Yet both dropped and in same order. Moncrief had a significant win against a kid from Indiana. Walton looks good.

5 hours ago, Twosmiles3 said:

Surprised that Favorite,Moncrief, and Walton dropped. Last week at CWIT Moncrief got 2nd and Favorite got 3rd in 132LB. Yet both dropped and in same order. Moncrief had a significant win against a kid from Indiana. Walton looks good.

Couple thoughts.  Yes, they had a solid day at a good event at Conner.  As for the order, Favorite has beaten Moncrief head-to-head which is the primary criteria in rankings.  As for their rankings, and specifically them dropping overall, you have to consider all of their results throughout the season and the result of other kids around the state.  I'm a big Walton fan (ha ha) and hope to see her have success this post season.  She is a hammer.

Not sure what the over the top reaction is all about.  So he is not ranked.  How does that affect his wrestling.  If anything it should be making him a better wrestler by not being ranked.

Before Rangers ranking another person did the ranking.  I had a kid who never broke into his rankings.  He had 4 losses in the season prior to state.  Lost to the state champion 3 times, defeated many ranked wrestlers.  It only sparked his desire to get even better.  He lost in the Semi-finals at state in overtime.  I would claim that him not being ranked made him a better wrestler throughout the year.  

I understand as a parent you want your kid to get his due, but ultimately getting that medal around his neck at the end of the season is the only due that is worth it.  

I have the utmost respect for what ranger does.  He has to spend hours daily trying to sort through the results of every match a Ky wrestler.  He does this with no compensation.  

I think a lot of the nonsense has been hidden/deleted.

It's really simple.  Had NOT wrestled 126 (at least anything posted) prior to this past weekend.  I moved kids to the weight they have been wrestling.  With the top ranked 132 and a highly ranked 138, he was out.  Not all that complicated.  Now that he made 126 and competed there, he will be ranked based on his results.

This week I came across a cool picture of Jude Powell, Braedon Herron, and George Ferree all on the same podium together at middle school regionals. This sport is so crazy.

• Upvote 1