Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2022-23 Season Rankings - Dec 13

Lots of updates this week.  So many names disappearing from the Kentucky wrestling world; hope this isn't a trend.  Also a LOT of weights still up in the air.  I don't ever recall seeing so many kids whose minimum weight puts them in limbo for the months of November/December (e.g. minimum weight is 113.8, so they can't make scratch and have to weight for the +2 at Christmas).  I'm seeing a lot of this for kids that I believe will drop down, so I am being patient with a lot of wrestlers and not moving them unless I have seen a weigh in sheet that indicates to me they are NOT dropping.

Something new and interesting I'm starting this week is picking one or two wrestlers of the week to highlight big movers in the rankings or big wins.

WOW #1: Landon Evans (Ryle - 113 lbs) - Landon made his return from a major, major knee injury one year ago this week and looked like he is 100% recovered and could be a state finalist contender at the Raider Rumble this weekend.

WOW #2: Kshaun Brown (Union Co - 190 lbs) - Brown looked great winning the Rumble, with a W over returning state placer Allen in the finals.  This gives UC another potential state medalist that will be critical in that team title race.

WOW #3A-B: Jayden and Jordyn Raney (Union Co - 113/120 lbs) - two more placements in major national events

Notes:

1) In the team title battle, PT has pulled out to a slight lead with UC and Trinity neck and neck for the runner-up spot.  I have JC and Great Crossing really close for the 4/5 spots.  With JC/GC coming out of semi-state 2 and the top 3 in deeper semi-state 1, that could even the playing field heading to GRC for the final round.  This is still shaping up to be a really exciting team race.

2) Not much excitement at the top of each weight, but the "placer" spots have some movement this week.

3) I expect to see a lot more results showing up in track over the next week.  This will help to solidify the 15-25 slots and fill out those weights with less than 25 kids ranked.  After Christmas, hopefully we have number to expand to top 30.  Reminder, if coaches don't post results they won't be reflected.

Rankings_22_23_1213.pdf

4 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Curious,

Where do you find information to make rankings? I was searching track wrestling comparing who was on the list but there are several kids who are up there in Region 3 records wise but I don´t see them ranked.

53 minutes ago, Coach Roberts (WHS) said:

Records mean very little.  So many kids get a ton of forfeits in duals or match up with inferior jv opponents or wrestlers with poor records through a chunk of the schedule.  A base of the rankings come from prior results, primarily post season success.  The main way for a "newer" kid to jump into the rankings is to beat or at least compete well with a ranked kid or advance in a competitive tournament.  I have a couple coaches and fans around the state who will objectively provide input on kids they see that impress them, but mostly it comes down to beating recognized good opponents.

22 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Records mean very little.  So many kids get a ton of forfeits in duals or match up with inferior jv opponents or wrestlers with poor records through a chunk of the schedule.  A base of the rankings come from prior results, primarily post season success.  The main way for a "newer" kid to jump into the rankings is to beat or at least compete well with a ranked kid or advance in a competitive tournament.  I have a couple coaches and fans around the state who will objectively provide input on kids they see that impress them, but mostly it comes down to beating recognized good opponents.

That makes sense. I was just curious. Thank you for your input

Don't hesitate to shoot me a private message with wrestlers you think should be considered.  There are always kids that are hard to evaluate because their teams don't travel as much or they miss parts of the schedule that would get them noticed.  Or just get totally missed in the process.  I appreciate the input.

I really think Colby Doyle has been killing it in the 144 class. Got second at a very competitive tournament in Scott County, has only one loss this season on top of many competitive wins.

3 hours ago, Jbindner said:

For the 106 at the 19 spot it's bindner not binder. Not that it really makes a difference just clarifying the spelling. Thanks. 

I thought that might be the case, but that's not what the roster says.

33 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Is it just me or are there a LOT of great wrestlers that are still 0-0? Seems like a lot. 

Yeah.  A LOT.  Usually after Christmas I remove them if they haven't competed.  Probably need to give a little longer runway this year unless I have information on a kid to avoid too much chaos.  But I will also be a little busier than usual over the holidays this year, so I may wait until after the first week in January to make any sweeping changes.

Should be seeing Brayden Wells (132 of Campbell Cty) popping back up in some of these results. To Rangers point of kids disappearing from KY wrestling, glad I can report on one coming back. Decided to return and finish out his career his senior year.

Should have a result tonight to update with in regards to Landen Windeler of Cov Cath and Wells.

Edited by ADepperschmidt
Wanted to include dual info for tonight.
  • Upvote 1