SeanR

Is it possible to get son son to focus on wrestling?

Good news. Matt fought tough at a couple of tournaments and while only going 3 and 4 he has decided to give up football and focus 100% on wrestling. We are thinking of sending him to Purrler for the 28 day intensive camp. I really like his coach as a person and administrator, but everyone on the team claims that the instruction is not that great (the coach is a great administrator and a really good guy, but he is over 400 lbs and simply cannot get on the mat and demonstrate techniques anymore.Our assistant coach is a football coach with absolutely now wrestlng experience whosoever. Its Texas. The kids learn. primarily from our Sunday coach (wrestled of Penn) and we need to look outside to get top quality instruction. I have the D 1 coach and a Juco  guy who is very good but we are having a problem getting mat pace.

I love Texas, but it is the worst lace for wrestling.

So what is you opinion od Purler? Is their 28 day camp worth it?

Yes I do produce champions. I have coached multiple BJJ Pan American champions and 3 different BJJ Black Belt champions (these fighters get paid to fight). IN MMA one of my fighters made it al the way to the UFC, although that was many years ago. Most recently I helped prep the world record holder in the shirtless bench press (660 lbs). And this is me most recently competing in the masters division in bodybuilding in the Mr South West USA and Mr Texas at the age of 56. I hold multiple titles from when I was younger. During my last year of wrestling/grappling I lost a grand total of 1 matches and was ranked 5th by the North American Grappling Association (NAGA). 

39004236_10155692937683807_906888520713371648_n.jpg

60546690_10156274273798807_1879181305921404928_n.jpg

46893024_10155923098463807_2812044199703085056_n.jpg

• Downvote 2

I come on here to keep up with KY Wrestling, but now I'm all about SeanR. Best content I've seen on here in 15 years! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I'm feeling some really bad deja-vu going on here. :ph34r::o

Yeeeeeesss!!!! Once he posted body building pics, we all felt it.

SeanR,

This thread has devolved from a question regarding pushing your son to focus on wrestling to you constantly giving out your resume and how successful you are. The short answer is you can't. The drive and determination to succeed in any endeavor is up to the individual. You are obviously, based on your many accomplishments listed above, a self-motivated man. However, your son's future in this sport is completely up to him.

Both of our sons wrestled and played football in high school. Both succeeded in both sports. One was extremely driven and pushed himself daily, one was not, but knew his strengths and weaknesses and utilized both to his advantage on the mat. Both competed at a high level in and out of the state and defeated several kids that are currently competing at all levels of college.

My advice is, don't treat your son like a client, unless he asks you to. This sport, much like boxing, MMA, BJJ...etc. is as much about learning lessons for life as it is about the physical benefits. The joy you feel as a father when your son wins a match is only comparable to the grief you feel when he loses. Enjoy the ride. Be a father. Embrace him in the victories and the defeats. Before long, he'll be out in the world.

I’m gone for a week and come back to this gold. Sean, I truly appreciate your contribution to not breaking character and I applaud your comedic genius. I haven’t seen this type of commitment to a delusional, ex-athlete since Uncle Rico’s Oscar-worthy performance in Napoleon Dynamite.  Well done, sir. 

Do you often seek acceptance by stripping down to your underwear, or are we just privileged with this gesture? 

• Upvote 1

Tbagnky That was extremely insightful.  I didn't know you had it in ya.  :ph34r::D

Seriously though that is absolutely correct.  Regardless of what our children accomplish in athletics what really matters is what they take out of it.  Hopefully something that will help them when they become adults and can pass onto their children.  

I really hop this thread does not turn into some of the similar threads we had in the past. 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:20 AM, SeanR said:

Yes I do produce champions. I have coached multiple BJJ Pan American champions and 3 different BJJ Black Belt champions (these fighters get paid to fight). IN MMA one of my fighters made it al the way to the UFC, although that was many years ago. Most recently I helped prep the world record holder in the shirtless bench press (660 lbs). And this is me most recently competing in the masters division in bodybuilding in the Mr South West USA and Mr Texas at the age of 56. I hold multiple titles from when I was younger. During my last year of wrestling/grappling I lost a grand total of 1 matches and was ranked 5th by the North American Grappling Association (NAGA). 

39004236_10155692937683807_906888520713371648_n.jpg

60546690_10156274273798807_1879181305921404928_n.jpg

46893024_10155923098463807_2812044199703085056_n.jpg

All those Champions you coached and none of which is your son. 
That should tell you something.

It’s very clear your conversations with him start with - “When I wrestled….”

A little less about you and more about him.