Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2022-23 Preseason Rankings - Oct 15

The season is officially here!  In celebration of October 15 here are the final "Pre" season rankings as we kick off high school practices.  Over the coming weeks we will get a much better view of weight classes as team complete their assessments. 

A few notes as we begin the 2022-23 wrestling season ...

1) Will Union County continue their streak?  They have reloaded like every other year, but there are a handful of teams bringing a squad with the potential to knock them off.  Paducah Tilghman will begin the year at the top of the rankings with Johnson Central close behind (note I have less info on JC than any of the other contenders).  Trinity has the firepower to score with Union as well.  The cinderella story of the season could be Great Crossing.  Still a young program, Coach Murdock has put together a deep lineup that has the potential shock the state.

2) We are returning almost half of the state champs and state runner-ups.  We have a couple weights where it appears as though a bunch of these guys will converge.  That could make for some excitement when we get to the money rounds.

3) well I'm getting too old and forgot what my other note was going to be.  oh well.

Rankings_22_23_1015.pdf

2 hours ago, DrBaker said:

Did Turango move out? 

Yeah, I believe he moved to Texas maybe.  Had a couple people confirm he moved, but can't recall exactly where.

Yes.  The Army decided to move us one more time before I could retire. We are now in El Paso TX.  I want to say thank you for everyone that went out of their way to make us feel at home while we were in Kentucky.  We had an amazing time while we were here and didn’t want to leave.  This was Andrew last weekend wrestling at Freakshow rocking his Ryle gear from his favorite drilling partner! 

B6BDE060-4E5A-4896-8C23-AD9DE8897FB0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

How crazy is it that a team could have 2 champs and 4 in the finals and end up 4th? There has been many teams win it with that. 

29 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

How crazy is it that a team could have 2 champs and 4 in the finals and end up 4th? There has been many teams win it with that. 

That is pretty crazy.  But the margin I have calculated from 1st to 4th is pretty small.  Also, it is quite crazy to think there are other teams with:

Paducah Tilghman - 3 champs, 5 top 3

Johnson Central - 4 top 3, 7 top 5

Trinity - 3 champs, 4 finals

All 4 teams have the potential to be really, really close.

Last year we seen JC with 10 placers, 7 in the top 4, and 1 state champ. They still got second and was 70 plus points behind Union. Never thought we would see that. Seems like the top teams are really separating themselves from the rest of the state. I think we will see a really close race between the top 3-4 teams this year. 

On 10/27/2022 at 6:55 AM, WVhighlander said:

Last year we seen JC with 10 placers, 7 in the top 4, and 1 state champ. They still got second and was 70 plus points behind Union. Never thought we would see that. Seems like the top teams are really separating themselves from the rest of the state. I think we will see a really close race between the top 3-4 teams this year. 

In 1989 Trinity won the team title without a state champion.  3 runner ups and 7 total placers.  131.5 points (13 Weight classes)

in 1990 Trinity had 3 state champions with 7 total placers scored 136 points and was second to Campbell 158 pts, with 1 state champion and 10 total placers.  (13 Wt classes)

The next closest team in 1990 had 91 pts. 

Am I seeing this correctly?  Is there no Ervin in the rankings this year?   The last time there was not an Ervin in the state tournament was 2002. 

Since 1977 there has been at least one Ervin at the Wrestling state tournament except in the years. 1978, 79, 83,84,86,87,88,89,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02.

There are team that have not had as few years without a wrestler at the state tournament. 

21 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Am I seeing this correctly?  Is there no Ervin in the rankings this year?   The last time there was not an Ervin in the state tournament was 2002. 

Since 1977 there has been at least one Ervin at the Wrestling state tournament except in the years. 1978, 79, 83,84,86,87,88,89,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02.

There are team that have not had as few years without a wrestler at the state tournament. 

I don't see an Ervin on the roster.  Looks like we won't have an Ervin competing this year thus ending that streak.  They have had an amazing run and I'm sure we will see more in the future.

On 11/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, Ranger123 said:

If we get enough fat tests posted in the next 10 days I would like to update over Thanksgiving.

When are they due. I was thinking they had to be in before a teams first competition. Is that true?

4 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

When are they due. I was thinking they had to be in before a teams first competition. Is that true?

That is correct.  But some teams don't compete the first week out and then not all kids test and get on the mat early.  So we will see how it plays out.  Some tests have started to roll out this week.