Ranger123

ATTENTION Wrestling fans! All Star Classic is back!

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

I really like this post.  I am one to agree with Nkawtg about the year round thing. But individuals have the right to make their own decisions on this.  This event cannot occur on or after Oct 15th. It would then be an in-season event.  Football starts on July 10 (Helmets) Baseball ends around June 17th.  Kentucky dead period was June 25 through  July 9th. 

That would only leave a small opening from June 18th to June 24th for no conflicts in Ky.  I have no idea if something nationally is occurring during this time. 

I always thought this was just a preview event.  Trying to get the top ranked kids to participate if they can.  Something to get our juices flowing going into the season.  I have been around for a very long time and have seen the sport grow tremendously, all due to people like Ranger who have put their own time in to make it grow.  I personally have not attended this event (I barely have enough time to take care of my own business) but I follow to see the results. 

Take it for what it is.  Try to improve it, try to promote it, try to attend it. Or just sit back and let it happen.  Really doesn't matter which you do or don't do, in the end it only helps wrestling in the state of KY.  Would be awesome if each area of the state held their own to make a culminating event at the end with all the winners. 

As far as the year round point, pretty much every high school sport has a percentage (which is growing) of those who participate on a year round basis. Wrestling is no different, and certainly isn't the worst. Football might be the worst of the all the sports, with a long season (July-November for everyone), spring ball, off season lifting programs, and June practices. Serious football only players get maybe December and a piece of January off. Ranger isn't pushing year round participation on anyone. He's simply there for those who want to take advantage of it. 

This event has always been fun, and for what it's worth, has always had a few football players participating. If a top wrestler is a football player, and they want to participate, they'll find a way to make it happen. The timing of the event is really perfect...close enough to the start of the season to generate interest and serve as a nice tune up to kick things off, but not so close that it doesn't interfere with anything. 

I will simply never understand the part of the wrestling community in this state that constantly find any and everything to complain about. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Ranger123 said:

Unfortunately we have to announce our fist substitution of the event.  And interestingly enough, a football player will be stepping in and is excited to step up and pull double duty.  Joshua Strayer of Great Crossing will be taking Lane Kiser's spot at 190.

Thank you Ranger, Joshua is excited to compete and looks forward to the event!

On 9/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, Nkawtg said:

I think you, and people like you, who push and push to make Kentucky wrestling a year round endeavor are hurting the sport in general. Your sons seem to have excelled and done well in the sport. Good for you and them. Maybe they didn’t play other sports?  Maybe they didn’t like football?  I don’t know. But doing this All Star event in Oct just takes away from the wrestlers who do other fall sports. Your attitude towards anyone questioning anything you do just reveals your “little man syndrome.”

I love the sport. My kids are in college and med school so I have no skin in the game. Play the victim all you want. 

I don't understand how putting on a wrestling event, whatever time of year. Could be bad for the sport. 

Someone is going out of their way to put on an even to showcase out sport and people want to complain its during football season?  Who cares if it's during football season?  It's a preseason wrestling event.  It's wrestling preseason right now.  If you don't think it's right, then shut up and put on your own event some other time.  Every sport goes all year in some capacity, so why does wrestling have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes.  This event says growth to me...putting it on in the spring so we don't interfere with anyone else says to me that wrestling isn't important.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 9/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, Coach Burton said:

Someone is going out of their way to put on an even to showcase out sport and people want to complain its during football season?  Who cares if it's during football season?  It's a preseason wrestling event.  It's wrestling preseason right now.  If you don't think it's right, then shut up and put on your own event some other time.  Every sport goes all year in some capacity, so why does wrestling have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes.  This event says growth to me...putting it on in the spring so we don't interfere with anyone else says to me that wrestling isn't important.

I think the greater point was that the top program in the state doesn’t participate. The fact this event is in the middle of football season was a close second though. 

What is really interesting is Jason being so think skinned about a critique. 

On 9/15/2022 at 8:42 AM, wwrestling121 said:

This is absolutely discussing. For you to go at ranger like that is unreal. Anyone that is that upset over a pre-season event has nothing better to do with there life than complain must have "little man syndrome". Come on man find something better to do with your time than throw shots at ranger and complain about the all star. I think we can all agree that we are tired of your comments and don't really care what you have to say at this point. 

Yes, we were discussing. Did you vote in Jason’s poll?  You should. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:13 PM, Nkawtg said:

I think you, and people like you, who push and push to make Kentucky wrestling a year round endeavor are hurting the sport in general. Your sons seem to have excelled and done well in the sport. Good for you and them. Maybe they didn’t play other sports?  Maybe they didn’t like football?  I don’t know. But doing this All Star event in Oct just takes away from the wrestlers who do other fall sports. Your attitude towards anyone questioning anything you do just reveals your “little man syndrome.”

I love the sport. My kids are in college and med school so I have no skin in the game. Play the victim all you want. 

what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

— High School Principal, Billy Madison

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

I think the greater point was that the top program in the state doesn’t participate. The fact this event is in the middle of football season was a close second though. 

What is really interesting is Jason being so think skinned about a critique. 

They shouldn't have to schedule around 1 program. 

• Like 1

This is a choice for wrestlers and their families. If you are selected to go, then you go. If it does not fit into your personal schedule you pass so the next available person is able to attend. You are trying to make this more than what it is if you feel Union is being shunned. They choose not to participate, so if you are upset and want t ask questions. You should probably direct those toward Union coaches so they can answer you, but you will probably get the same response as Ranger does: No thanks. Pretty simple

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I can’t believe a voluntary preseason high school  wrestling event was scheduled during the middle school football season. And, Union is wrestling at a preseason dual meet during middle school football season as well?! The nerve of the high school wrestling community to disrespect middle school football is unreal. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, DrBaker said:

Ricketts is back. Union is wrestling In Wisconsin that weekend. 

I think its funny who the comment is "Scheduling a wrestling tournament during football season" and yet, see above.        

4 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

I think its funny who the comment is "Scheduling a wrestling tournament during football season" and yet, see above.        

It is funny, until you realize people like this are serious about their position.  Explains a lot about the direction of our country.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, WVhighlander said:

Oh no what happened to Kiser. I was hoping to see him at 190. Strayer is a great kid so congrats to him though. 

You have to have this during football season every state I know does this during football season. You would Not have anyone able to do it if you wait till wrestling season except small teams without full line ups. The rest of us have to get matches for the whole team. 

Also timing is good. A week before super 32. Now it would be nice if we get more kids doing national events. 

Lane had some hand surgery. He will be back for the regular season but will have to miss super 32 and the all star classic unfortunately.

good luck to Strayer and Burchett ,we will be there to watch all of the action!

Can’t wait for the All Star classic!!

thanks to Ranger and everyone else for making this happen!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Big day is tomorrow.  6:00 pm start time at Legends in Louisville, 4300 East Bluelick Rd.

A couple of last minutes scratches/changes due to injury/weight change/other stuff...

The first 132 prelim will be scratched as both Frazier and Trumble are out.  132 will only be 1 match now.

Campbell is out at 113 and Trent Cano from Great Crossing is stepping in to face McCloskey.

48 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Big day is tomorrow.  6:00 pm start time at Legends in Louisville, 4300 East Bluelick Rd.

A couple of last minutes scratches/changes due to injury/weight change/other stuff...

The first 132 prelim will be scratched as both Frazier and Trumble are out.  132 will only be 1 match now.

Campbell is out at 113 and Trent Cano from Great Crossing is stepping in to face McCloskey.

Hope these kids are Healthy for the season

• Upvote 2