Sign in to follow this  
Coach Burton

Bluegrass State Games

On 6/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, pin2win said:

Would love to see this moved to back to Louisville.

Why?  It didn’t seem very well supported in Louisville.  I don’t think it has grown in 20 years. I may be wrong. Would love to see it advertised more so it would grow.  Maybe someone else run it. 

When it was in Louisville,  we had around the same numbers.

I will start advertising harder this month. Ive found if you do it too early, people will just forget about it. And as far as advertising it, I blast all the social media sites, post here, email coaches, and reach out to as many coaches possible through text and calls. 

The largest was many years ago when coach McCoy ran it, with around 150-180 wrestlers. In recent years its been 120-130. 

I feel like the main reason it doesnt grow is because of the push for kids to travel and wrestle in big national events. 15-20 years ago those events were harder to find and fewer and far between.  Now a days there are 2 or 3 events a weekend that are "nationals" and you can become an "all American ". Kids and parents see bgsg as not worth their time now.

That being said, info will be out everywhere and we will still do our best to get everyone a good amount of mat time. I appreciate Madison Central hosting, they do a great job.

23 minutes ago, coachteater said:

When it was in Louisville,  we had around the same numbers.

I will start advertising harder this month. Ive found if you do it too early, people will just forget about it. And as far as advertising it, I blast all the social media sites, post here, email coaches, and reach out to as many coaches possible through text and calls. 

The largest was many years ago when coach McCoy ran it, with around 150-180 wrestlers. In recent years its been 120-130. 

I feel like the main reason it doesnt grow is because of the push for kids to travel and wrestle in big national events. 15-20 years ago those events were harder to find and fewer and far between.  Now a days there are 2 or 3 events a weekend that are "nationals" and you can become an "all American ". Kids and parents see bgsg as not worth their time now.

That being said, info will be out everywhere and we will still do our best to get everyone a good amount of mat time. I appreciate Madison Central hosting, they do a great job.

That’s exactly why I said maybe someone else to run it. It’s nothing against how it’s ran now. But if someone like Tyrant or NUWAY were involved it would automatically bring in different kids. People visit their sights and schedule around their events. It’s not about all American status in those events. More about getting good matches. 

is there a flyer with weights and age groups out now?

14 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

That’s exactly why I said maybe someone else to run it. It’s nothing against how it’s ran now. But if someone like Tyrant or NUWAY were involved it would automatically bring in different kids. People visit their sights and schedule around their events. It’s not about all American status in those events. More about getting good matches. 

is there a flyer with weights and age groups out now?

Bgsg is ran by an organization called Bluegrass sports commission.  They are a none profit based in Lexington that help promote sports in Kentucky and run the Kentucky state sports hall of fame. 

All the info is at bgsg.org

While I think it could definitely be bigger and better if an outside group ran it, they havent gone that way. It may be to cost down, im not sure. Thats one good thing about bgsg, its like $30, plus close to home. Hopefully we have a good turn out this year after covid had hurt it the last few years

What you may not realize is that the Bluegrass State Games is not just a wrestling tournament.  It is an event that spans all of the sports.  It is run by a central agency that promotes all sports for Kentuckians. 

To allow someone else to sponsor it would probably result in it leaving Ky.  It is mainly just for Ky athletes. It is a great event my son went to it every year from 7th grade up.  Promotion of the event is usually well done.  I know in the past, several remote weight-ins were set up across the state to help allow not having to leave early for weigh-in.  I try every year to get kids to participate in the event.  It is well run and a nice event to attend. 

13 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

What you may not realize is that the Bluegrass State Games is not just a wrestling tournament.  It is an event that spans all of the sports.  It is run by a central agency that promotes all sports for Kentuckians. 

To allow someone else to sponsor it would probably result in it leaving Ky.  It is mainly just for Ky athletes. It is a great event my son went to it every year from 7th grade up.  Promotion of the event is usually well done.  I know in the past, several remote weight-ins were set up across the state to help allow not having to leave early for weigh-in.  I try every year to get kids to participate in the event.  It is well run and a nice event to attend. 

No I am familiar with the games as i have participated in it for 20 plus years. In the past some of the other events have been sanctioned and ran by third parties. 

My point is it doesn’t have to be for just Ky kids. In the past it has had some kids from Indiana. I would like to keep doing it but in the past it’s a long day for just a couple matches against kids you have wrestled a lot. 

Coach Teater runs the BGSG extremely fast and pre-Covid the competition level kept increasing. About every off-season wrestler shows up and it's a good end of summer event. Looking forward to sending quite a few kids again this year.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:50 AM, coachteater said:

Bgsg is ran by an organization called Bluegrass sports commission.  They are a none profit based in Lexington that help promote sports in Kentucky and run the Kentucky state sports hall of fame. 

All the info is at bgsg.org

While I think it could definitely be bigger and better if an outside group ran it, they havent gone that way. It may be to cost down, im not sure. Thats one good thing about bgsg, its like $30, plus close to home. Hopefully we have a good turn out this year after covid had hurt it the last few years

They don’t have any information out for wrestling. I know in the past the youth and ms has been Madison system. What about high school?  Is it defined weight classes or Madison system?  

6 hours ago, WVhighlander said:

They don’t have any information out for wrestling. I know in the past the youth and ms has been Madison system. What about high school?  Is it defined weight classes or Madison system?  

I will get with guy from bgsg and get it updated. Madison system for all. I try to get everyone as many matches as possible,  so that works out well.