gator1

KY/USA Freestyle and Greco States

Anyone know if this is still happening?  I was going to register my son, but it looks like only a handful of kids are registered right now.  Maybe more kids are registered and it's just not showing up on the entry list?

5 minutes ago, gator1 said:

Anyone know if this is still happening?  I was going to register my son, but it looks like only a handful of kids are registered right now.  Maybe more kids are registered and it's just not showing up on the entry list?

Everyone registers late! There were 70 wrestlers at two selection clinics so we should see a good turnout Saturday. 

Looking to put together a KY Cadet National team. Prerequisite is to wrestle in the Kentucky freestyle and Greco State tournament please get registered! 

11 minutes ago, CUTiger184 said:

What are our pre-registration numbers looking like for this weekend? Thanks to everyone who have worked hard to bring back FS/GR state. 

Currently, we have 44 kids registered. 

24 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

I don’t understand why more aren’t signed up.

At the beginning of the year, I had a few conversations with coaches regarding freestyle/greco. They said they wanted their kids to participate and were willing to help.  None of those coaches have a single kid registered.  It helps when there is a little passion and encouragement from within programs. 

Just now, GentleBeard said:

At the beginning of the year, I had a few conversations with coaches regarding freestyle/greco. They said they wanted their kids to participate and were willing to help.  None of those coaches have a single kid registered.  It helps when there is a little passion and encouragement from within programs. 

There are a few programs that have 5 or 6 kids registered and props to them for trying to grow the sport in kentucky. Some teams have huge teams during the regular season, but aren't bringing a single kid this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

I want my kids to participate but Military ball and a few events on post are why I have none signed up. 

13 hours ago, DrBaker said:

I don’t understand why more aren’t signed up. 

Uh, maybe because Taylor County HS is a 320 mile round trip from Northern Kentucky?  Why have a tournament on an early Saturday morning so far away from the state’s population centers?  

14 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Ive tried hard but I have kids doing spring football,boys and girls track, Boys and girls lacrosse,  baseball,  softball, and we have prom this weekend.  That pretty much takes out my whole roster. 

18 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Uh, maybe because Taylor County HS is a 320 mile round trip from Northern Kentucky?  Why have a tournament on an early Saturday morning so far away from the state’s population centers?  

It's all about commitment, something this state is sorely lacking in. We weren't happy about the venue change but my son still made it down. He had prom and after prom last night. Still left at 6am this morning.  Not to mention track senior night on Thursday. 

This tournament is a must if your kid wants to practice at an actual USA wrestling RTC. The rules have changed and are very strict for high school wrestlers practicing and being coached. Not that this is a big issue in ky since most kids won't take advantage of an opportunity even if is next door. 

End rant

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:20 PM, Nkawtg said:

It's a big state, where would you like to have it?

The geographical center of KY is Marion County, which is immediately adjacent to Taylor County, where it was hosted.  The population center of KY is a bit further North, closer to where it was to be originally held.  Unfortunately that fell through.

Union Co and Paducah showed up with pretty big squads and they travelled as far as anyone in NKY I think.  

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, Nkawtg said:

Probably close to 1/3 or 1/4 of the tournament traveled more than 320 miles.  Where there's a will, there's a way. 

My program is a relatively new program and none of my kids have any experience with Freestyle and Greco.  I only had one wrestler go, the rest were apprehensive about their first experience with these styles being the "state tournament."

Gotta start somewhere, I'm sure we will see exponential growth now that the tournament is reinstated.  Again thanks to all who helped promote and run the tournament.  

On 5/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, gator1 said:

It's a big state, where would you like to have it?

The geographical center of KY is Marion County, which is immediately adjacent to Taylor County, where it was hosted.  The population center of KY is a bit further North, closer to where it was to be originally held.  Unfortunately that fell through.

Union Co and Paducah showed up with pretty big squads and they travelled as far as anyone in NKY I think.  

That’s simply nonsense. The population center is more than “a bit further north” than Taylor county. 

I get it. Things happen. People just want to do what they love. Too many “state” tournaments are held far from Louisville though, which is the population center of the state. 

39 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

That’s simply nonsense. The population center is more than “a bit further north” than Taylor county. 

I get it. Things happen. People just want to do what they love. Too many “state” tournaments are held far from Louisville though, which is the population center of the state. 

Population alone is not correlated to wrestling participation.  In fact, prior to the region realignment this year, Region 3 (74 participants) and 4 (65 participants) had the lowest participation rate of anywhere in the state. 

Just curious: How far is "too far" to travel to compete in a sport you love?

21 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

The population center of KY is Willisburg, KY in Washington County, which is 47 minutes north of Campbellsville.  It's 71 minutes from Louisville. 

Louisville is the most populated city, it's not the population center.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Kentucky#:~:text=The center of population of,in the city of Willisburg.

For reference, it is 371 miles to drive from Paducah Tilghman HS to Johnson Central HS.  That's two big wrestling schools, and if you placed the tournament directly in the center they would each have to travel 185 miles.  Campbellsville isn't perfect, but it is pretty close to that center.

I have an idea to help this along.

1.  You need 6-8 dedicated coaches to lead this up. 

2.  You need 4 dates (3 Regional dates, 1 state date)

3.  You have 3 regional FR/GR mini camps that the end of the camp is a mini tournament, no awards or anything, but a test run.  (like one person posted, his kids were hesitant, give them a place to do a trial run)  - Maybe charge 20 bucks or something small. 

Examples:  Etown, Lexington, NKY (move them around how you need too.  

4.  Then you have the state tournament, awards the whole shebang.