Sign in to follow this  
Mercury

Integrity

Holding your kids back a grade cause you think it will help them WIN is truly disturbing! What are we really teaching these kids? Instead of having these kids work harder, compete, adversity, we’re teaching them to avoid competition, short cuts and looking for the easiest road. 
Nobody respects a grown man beating 15 and 16 year olds. Champions don’t avoid tough competition, they don’t look for the easiest road. They look forward to facing the best and put in the work, they don’t look for short cuts and more opportunities cause they couldn’t do it in the 4 years of high school! If a kid is injured  and has to miss a season that’s fine but holding a kid back cause he hasn’t been successful and you want to give him additional opportunities shouldn’t be allowed! If you can’t WIN  in 4 years of high school then it wasn’t meant to be! It’s an honor to place at the State Tournament and when situations like this start happening your messing with the integrity of the sport! It’s not fair to these kids that do it the right way and  Quite frankly it’s not that big of accomplishment if you hold them back and they place, honestly you just took away a spot from a kid more deserving. 

There are several reasons a kid may be held back.  Academics and maturity are just 2 of them.  Maybe I am naive  but I don't think what you are referring to actually happen very often. I don't personally know of anyone who remained in a grade for athletic reasons. 

I choose to believe that any kid who remains back have more reasons than just trying to win a title in an athletic sport.  Even if this is the real reason, then they must need this success more than you or I realize.  Sometimes all a kid needs. Is to succeed in one thing to change their life forever.  Those that may lose a placement after working hard, because of this action, will probably still succeed in life.  I for one would sacrifice my placement or my child's placement to change a young person's life forever.