DrBaker

Middle school state > high school

13 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I have issues with some of the rules, but it’s not the kids fault. Dad or coach says wrestle, go out and wrestle. If the kid is within the rules, awesome job by kid, Dad and Coach. I don’t have a dog in the fight, but if a rule is a rule, I’ll stand by these kids (KIDS) all day long. 

LOL. In that case just wait 2 years and 5 months and he won't be a kid anymore. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gator1 said:

LOL. In that case just wait 2 years and 5 months and he won't be a kid anymore. 

I will wait. Still not the kid’s fault. Make new rules or bylaws or whatever the middle school follows at this point and I will gladly support the RULES or BY LAWS that are voted on. As of right now, the people that oversee the middle school have alot to look at in the off-season. You see, it’s like following laws. There are things you can legally do and things that you can’t. I hate driving 70mph on the interstate and really wish the speed limit was 80mph. Unfortunately, it’s 70mph and I have to abide by that. I don’t like it, but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Nike Man said:I hate driving 70mph on the interstate and really wish the speed limit was 80mph. Unfortunately, it’s 70mph and I have to abide by that. I don’t like it, but it is what it is. 

Some people still drive 80mph and don’t get caught. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lst said:

Don’t know but the kid from Paducah got kicked out and he’s younger than the george kid. 

What kid from pt got kicked out?  Is it the one that wrestled youth?

3 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

What's the point of not being able to wrestle middle school because you are a second-year 8th grader, but you are allowed to wrestle youth, especially as a top 10 high schooler.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

What's the point of not being able to wrestle middle school because you are a second-year 8th grader, but you are allowed to wrestle youth, especially as a top 10 high schooler.

Was wondering what happened there. He had a close match in the finals of youth. Won by 1. Score was 7-6 or something.  Crazy thing there is you can take a top 10 high school wrestler and get a really competitive match in youth. 

19 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

Was wondering what happened there. He had a close match in the finals of youth. Won by 1. Score was 7-6 or something.  Crazy thing there is you can take a top 10 high school wrestler and get a really competitive match in youth. 

I wasn't there so I didn't see the match, but I was wondering if he was just messing around or what because he has dominated a lot of guys that placed at middle school state.

13 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

I wasn't there so I didn't see the match, but I was wondering if he was just messing around or what because he has dominated a lot of guys that placed at middle school state.

No it was a good match. Really should have lost. He went pushing in and the JC kid hit him with a hip toss. They hit the mat and he was still loaded on the hip and the ref awarded 2 to Williams then 2 reversal and three backs to JC when he finished the throw.  Without that first early 2 points Williams would have lost.  

1 hour ago, WVhighlander said:

How could he wrestle youth? The president told me my son couldn’t wrestle in youth because he turned 14 the last of December 2021 and therefore would be 15 this year. He said no one turning 15 this calendar year could wrestle youth no matter when their birthday fell. He just responded days before the tournament and told me. When I sent back another question, he blocked me on messenger. 

16 minutes ago, Rocky1 said:

How could he wrestle youth? The president told me my son couldn’t wrestle in youth because he turned 14 the last of December 2021 and therefore would be 15 this year. He said no one turning 15 this calendar year could wrestle youth no matter when their birthday fell. He just responded days before the tournament and told me. When I sent back another question, he blocked me on messenger. 

Yeah there was some confusion all year with tournaments. They said we were using USA weights and ages. Well they are different from our middle school weights and ages. The USA wrestling ages for 14u would knock out A lot of 8th graders that aren’t hold backs. A kid born October of 2007 is a true 8th grader. 14u is 2008-2009 birth years. 

I personally have never understood the confusion with age participation in middle school.

KHSAA has a maximum age requirement.  If you use that rule as a guideline and subtract 4 year (the 4 years they would be in high school) you should get the maximum age for a middle school student.  That way they can still get 4 years of high school eligibility.

Now I know that there is a wrinkle because of COVID.  KHSAA has allowed for a repeat year this year in response to COVID.  This should also trickle down to the middle school. 

You don't have to agree with the rule, but you must abide by the rule and respect the rule until it is changed.  

I am very old school and we are now living in a world where everyone gets their feelings hurt and I really don't understand it.  

But like MaMa always told me "suck it up buttercup and get better", "worry only about yourself and not what someone else is doing". (I don't argue with MaMA) 

3 hours ago, WVhighlander said:

……I probably wouldn’t generalize that one match for entire youth state tournament vs KHSAA state tournament…but I get what you’re trying to say. The Williams match appears to have been an exception, but I’m very confident that if you stuck all of the KHSAA ranked middle school kids and stuck them into the brackets at youth state, 100% of the ranked kids would convincingly beat the youth wrestler. You may have some wins by decision but I see falls in less than a minute on most.

41 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

……I probably wouldn’t generalize that one match for entire youth state tournament vs KHSAA state tournament…but I get what you’re trying to say. The Williams match appears to have been an exception, but I’m very confident that if you stuck all of the KHSAA ranked middle school kids and stuck them into the brackets at youth state, 100% of the ranked kids would convincingly beat the youth wrestler. You may have some wins by decision but I see falls in less than a minute on most.

Right that’s not common. That was at 121 in youth. The 113 and 121 brackets in middle school were crazy deep and I would say alot of those kids could compete in high school.  I also seen a kid a few years ago that didn’t place at 113 in middle school as a 7th grader and got 6th in youth. Came back and won state at 152 as an 8th grader.  I could see your boy winning one of the heavier brackets next year. He’s a very good kid and wrestler. 

I was talking to a West Virginia friend this week about how tough our middle school state is. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

I personally have never understood the confusion with age participation in middle school.

KHSAA has a maximum age requirement.  If you use that rule as a guideline and subtract 4 year (the 4 years they would be in high school) you should get the maximum age for a middle school student.  That way they can still get 4 years of high school eligibility.

Now I know that there is a wrinkle because of COVID.  KHSAA has allowed for a repeat year this year in response to COVID.  This should also trickle down to the middle school. 

You don't have to agree with the rule, but you must abide by the rule and respect the rule until it is changed.  

I am very old school and we are now living in a world where everyone gets their feelings hurt and I really don't understand it.  

But like MaMa always told me "suck it up buttercup and get better", "worry only about yourself and not what someone else is doing". (I don't argue with MaMA) 

Even with the extra year athletes could have gotten because of covid, the rules regarding age stayed the same. So there technically isn't anybody who is competing that would have been "too old" prior to covid.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

Right that’s not common. That was at 121 in youth. The 113 and 121 brackets in middle school were crazy deep and I would say alot of those kids could compete in high school.  I also seen a kid a few years ago that didn’t place at 113 in middle school as a 7th grader and got 6th in youth. Came back and won state at 152 as an 8th grader.  I could see your boy winning one of the heavier brackets next year. He’s a very good kid and wrestler. 

I was talking to a West Virginia friend this week about how tough our middle school state is. 

113 and 121 MS were just crazy tough! A lot of those kids did wrestle HS and did well too. I love the competition and when those younger kids….especially the 7th graders just go and put themselves out there to wrestle HS. Win or lose they’ll be better for it later on. 

Nice facility my son said, a bit steep on the Gate costs was a comment he had as well.  From the OP's & 1/2-1/2-1/2's picture, it looks remarkably like the Horse park setup, but with a slightly smaller stand capacity wise ? 

KHSAA_AtHorsepark.JPG

089E07D1-6831-4D39-8495-BA540F7EF41B.thumb.jpeg.fc0555d0059c4be8c0eb798ff8a378a4.jpegThe difference in medals and bracket boards from HS State and Middle School State. Quite a difference to say the least. If it were not for the coaches association there would be no bracket board. I do appreciate what the coaches do but the State should provide Quality bracket boards. 
 The medals and sashes aren’t Even Close! 

1E337E2E-9ED9-4A4E-9B06-C105B1084A1A.jpeg

2100C49A-3816-4299-AA0C-C708F8C11966.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 3/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, Nike Man said:

Nobody pays attention to youth or middle school championships anyways. It’s a trophy for parents. 

I also do not have a dog in the fight but this is very incorrect. It means quite a bit to the boys and girls who compete.