Sign in to follow this  
WVhighlander

Region sizes

Region 1- 201
Region 2- 179
Region 3- 124
Region 4-205 not including Woodford
Region 5-128

Region 1 has increased their number for this year. 

Region 4 is still the biggest as usual. 

I am always surprised by how small region 3 and 5 are. 

Whomever is responsible for the region alignment really needs to either add a few more regions, or redo them completely  to make it more even.  Frankfort, Georgetown, Corbin all in Region 4 along with Johnson Belfry and Ashland.   Imagine living in Corbin and traveling to Ashland for a regional meet on a weeknight.....   Or Frankfort to Belfry for Regionals this Saturday.. Over a 3 hour Trip. 

Region 1 - 15 School or Clubs

Region 2 - 18 Schools or Clubs

Region 3 - 10 Schools or Clubs

Region 4 - 27 Schools or Clubs

Region 5 - 14 Schools or Clubs

17 minutes ago, JHamBCalumni said:

How does that even make sense honestly? I’m scratching my head. Never realized the difference. Why not make more regions and keep it more even like high school? 

It was worse the last few years. Region 1 dramatically increased their numbers. When there were youth regionals the difference was insane. Region four was bigger than any two regions in youth. 

50 minutes ago, Coach Matt said:

Whomever is responsible for the region alignment really needs to either add a few more regions, or redo them completely  to make it more even.  Frankfort, Georgetown, Corbin all in Region 4 along with Johnson Belfry and Ashland.   Imagine living in Corbin and traveling to Ashland for a regional meet on a weeknight.....   Or Frankfort to Belfry for Regionals this Saturday.. Over a 3 hour Trip. 

Region 1 - 15 School or Clubs

Region 2 - 18 Schools or Clubs

Region 3 - 10 Schools or Clubs

Region 4 - 27 Schools or Clubs

Region 5 - 14 Schools or Clubs

No sir, the map on the by laws page shows corbin in region 4, but i got a call and removed them from the tournament because corbin was moved at the decision of john Carr the Vice President and Mondell Hunter the President.  

Also we have 205 kids but I removed these teams 

corbin moved by president

hazard no kids

ckuwc no kids

perry no kids

Teams with zero kids entered so far, but have replied to my emails 

Appalachian Wrestling

Woodford

Winchester

Mustangs

Mad South

8 minutes ago, Andrew Baldwn said:

No sir, the map on the by laws page shows corbin in region 4, but i got a call and removed them from the tournament because corbin was moved at the decision of john Carr the Vice President and Mondell Hunter the President.  

hazard no kids

ckuwc no kids

perry no kids

Appalachian Wrestling

Woodford

Winchester

Mustangs

Mad South

Winchester is getting our kids in now. :)

49 minutes ago, Andrew Baldwn said:

hazard no kids

ckuwc no kids

perry no kids

Appalachian Wrestling

Woodford

Winchester

Mustangs

Mad South

Say what????????? Since when can two individuals move one team from region to region? I’m so confused and I feel if that’s true that is just another example of how horribly ran KY wrestling is and why it will never grow. Also……….Sure…..let’s charge parents double the price for their kid wrestling at state…..in one of the poorest states in the US. GTFOH 

1 hour ago, Andrew Baldwn said:

hazard no kids

ckuwc no kids

perry no kids

Appalachian Wrestling

Woodford

Winchester

Mustangs

Mad South

KFWC out here acting like the wild Wild West!!! I just combed through the bylaws and I didn’t see where that kind of authority is permitted.

But seriously and if this is the case of assigning teams to different regions at last minute at the order of the President/Vice, then what would happen if all the Region 4 bluegrass area teams decided to show up at Elkhorn on Saturday instead of driving all the way to Belfry for regions? I’m just saying…what’s ok for one needs to be ok for others…right? 

If someone knows the clause that permits such decisions for officers to make, then by all means, throw it out there please. Otherwise, between the email chain and these forum threads, we can use this failure of governance as an opportunity to better our operations. Maybe a training or two from USA wrestling on how to operate a sanctioned committee could help newly installed officers as a requirement. Even if you already run a successful organization, there’s no shame in getting more training so that we can hopefully prevent the type of issues we’re seeing this past couple weeks. After all, we are all lifetime learners and this is me coming to you all with a solution to our problem. My youngest is only 3.75 years away from wrestling in the KFWC and I will gladly do whatever it takes to clean all of this up before he starts.

Two pennies production.

I can speak for the alignment that currently exists as I was the coach that was the most outspoken about it. I researched, lobbied for it and proposed it. My name is Jack LaRue, coach of LaRue County Middle School. 

The current alignment was put in place to alleviate the previous alignment. Prior to realignment, there were four regions. Several regions stayed the same based on participant/team numbers. Region 5(previously region 3 NKY) participation is down a bit from prior years, but the number of clubs/teams are the same. Region 4(Lex/EKY) has added clubs/teams since the realignment, but numbers are close to the same(always high due to geographic nature). Region 1(WKY) has the same number of clubs/teams, but numbers are up. Region 2(Part of WKY + part of Lex) has stayed the same. Region 3(previously region 2Jefferson/Oldham/Bullitt) has decreased, primarily due to covid. 

When I proposed the current realignment, I also suggested that regions pick centralized hosts. Regions 1 and 4 were and still do encompass the greatest travel from furthest points. In Region 2 Franklin Co is one of the furthest points for several schools, but is still within 2 hours drive. Previously, Danville and Taylor Co. hosted. So regions has moved around to accommodate every team.  

The largest complaint from region 4 has always been drive time or region size. I understand drive time sucks. I would suggest that the coaches in that region make a plan/rotation for hosting and use more centralized venues. No offense intended when I say this, but Belfry is as far away from most of the schools in that region as you can get. As far as region size goes, the same scenario is true now as it was then. There is not really a good way to divide this region and still have comparable numbers to other regions. If you remove the woodford/scott/fayette/harrison/madison/montgomery schools thats 91+ participants out of 205. And you still have teams from Belfry/Pikeville all the way to Carter/Boyd county. 

Plain and simple travel stinks, I hate it, you hate it, the rest of the state hates it. Centralize and rotate your region tournaments. Alignment is always on the table. If you want to see numbers, they are on track from previous years or I can give you what I have.