Sign in to follow this  
Arbezdab

You Make the Call

In an effort to be constructive and to have some fun maybe even, I have an idea. What if we posted links to matches with calls that we found questionable or situations where something unique or interesting happened that warrants a discussion? We have parents, coaches, wrestlers and even some officials commenting in other threads regarding the officiating this season, specifically at Sate and the common theme is that everyone simply wants the correct calls to be made as often as possible, and for the calls to make sense. I think that some sort of evaluation system could be beneficial, in some ways. I also think there are obvious problems with evaluations. What I think we really need is a sort of 'calibration' as a state. In other words, we all need to get closer to being on the same page. 

Post a link and direct us to what you'd like to discuss and let's see what happens!

Let's get some real discussions going and maybe we can start to come to a better understanding on why calls were made or not.

Also, skip the 157 final since it's been dissected to the nth degree elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Tapout said:

Here’s a question: How do you score 15 points in a match and get disqualified for stalling?

In a 5 minute match no less! I still can’t get over that one. I was watching it live on Flo and switched over to watch another match w/ about 20 seconds left. Once I saw the DQ I assumed I missed a fight or something. 

I know I'm in the minority but I watched the match twice and I didn't disagree with any of the stall calls. The last one was the most questionable, but there's no doubt the kid was backing away and avoiding action.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, gator1 said:

I know I'm in the minority but I watched the match twice and I didn't disagree with any of the stall calls. The last one was the most questionable, but there's no doubt the kid was backing away and avoiding action.  

There’s no doubt he scored 15 points. Sounds like a lot more action than stalling.

Stalling is also subjective, ever watch a heavyweight match…..

The ref was “worked” by the coach for the final call but it should never have been to that point. If anything the coach should have been called for a point for being on the mat. Just to be fair and honest a coach was called earlier in a different match.

Here's the match in question...

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/7334418-2022-khsaa-ky-state-championships/videos?playing=7510735&limit=60

You can fast forward to 8:21 to see the final sequence.  I went ahead and counted, the stalling wrestler took 29 consecutive backward steps from 0:17 to 0:08 seconds, before the final stall call.  That's 29 backwards steps in 9 seconds.  That's not wrestling.  That should be called every time, regardless of score or match situation.  

I have seen this individual wrestle many times.  He has been called for stalling and either as the stall call was issued or immediately afterwards he would shoot or throw something and score.   It seems his style is to take steps backwards to set up his move.  Which in turn will be called for stalling a lot.  I was confused with the ending but all he had to do was shoot at the leg/foot and then keep pushing forward.   IMO he was the better wrestler and should have won the match, but we all know the best wrestler does not always win. 

8 hours ago, gator1 said:

Here's the match in question...

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/7334418-2022-khsaa-ky-state-championships/videos?playing=7510735&limit=60

You can fast forward to 8:21 to see the final sequence.  I went ahead and counted, the stalling wrestler took 29 consecutive backward steps from 0:17 to 0:08 seconds, before the final stall call.  That's 29 backwards steps in 9 seconds.  That's not wrestling.  That should be called every time, regardless of score or match situation.  

That match was a disaster. Red got hit w/ 5 stall calls in 3:18 seconds. During that time, he scored 11 points as well. He ended up w/ 15 points. Green didn’t score one takedown. The ref also called this out of bounds, which would have been another takedown by red.

87958FF5-DCDC-490A-BF1D-5EED38C5CF76.png

13 minutes ago, MLee said:

That match was a disaster. Red got hit w/ 5 stall calls in 3:18 seconds. During that time, he scored 11 points as well. He ended up w/ 15 points. Green didn’t score one takedown. The ref also called this out of bounds, which would have been another takedown by red.

87958FF5-DCDC-490A-BF1D-5EED38C5CF76.png

Ha, another way of looking at it. During that 3:18 seconds where he got hit 5 times for stalling, he was scoring a point per 18 seconds. That scoring pace equates to 20 points per match. 

Maybe he was just tired from scoring all those points! 

• Upvote 1

Tired from scoring.  Very possible.  Something I know for sure that makes this story tougher is the kid was battling through a serious injury just to compete this post season.  Instead of recovering from surgery this senior battled for one last shot at making the podium.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:05 PM, Tapout said:

Here’s a question: How do you score 15 points in a match and get disqualified for stalling?

It only happens when you have an official calling a state tournament who doesn’t belong there. When this guy is officiating a match almost everyone that’s involved worries about what he’s going to do next. 

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Tired from scoring.  Very possible.  Something I know for sure that makes this story tougher is the kid was battling through a serious injury just to compete this post season.  Instead of recovering from surgery this senior battled for one last shot at making the podium.

That’s truly a shame. This kid worked so hard to make the podium and will never get another chance because of incompetence by the lead official. This wrestler’s high school career ended but yet we will see the same official get another chance at the state level again.