Breywho

120 finals prayer

33 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

1) I didn't know Darth Vader was such a staunch Muslim apologist.

2) Pretty interesting that no Muslim has ever wrestled a match during a sunset. Or maybe they find a way around that - just like Ramadan. 

3) The booing or grumblings in your hypothetical scenario (that has never happened in the history of the world, to my knowledge) has nothing to do with religion, but a  6 minute match being stopped prematurely before a pin, tech, or clock runs out.  Kinda like watching a movie that gets stopped right before the climax for them to share a word from their sponsors. 

4) The bold and underlined prayers seem to be copied and pasted. Did you have to look them up to educate yourself in an attempt to confirm your bias? 

5) Breyden is the kind of character every coach should want in their room. I look forward to getting to know him as our paths cross this off season. Kudos to JW for raising a solid young man. 

1.) LOL…loosely quoted, I reckon.

2.) In practicality, I absolutely agree with that.

3.) Are you saying that spectator entertainment is greater than a person’s religious faith & practices?

4.) LOL…I’m not Muslim, so there’s no cognitive dissonance or biases. And yes, in respect to those who are followers of Islam, I made the effort to make sure I’m spelling their prayer times correctly. After all, I’m not a subject matter expert, just objectively looking at this hypothetical scenario.

5.) Not once have I said anything negative about the kids and what they did. As a Christian, I thought what they did was absolutely outstanding. That being said, I am using the Muslim practices of prayer as an example because the prayers are so ritualistic as opposed to simply taking a knee, bowing our heads, and saying Amen. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Hmm I am a little confused by this argument.

I personally did not know what religion either of them were praying to.  I was not sure what exactly they were doing. No hands in a prayer (which would indicate christian), they were sitting down on knee (I thought maybe a jewish ritual)  at one point I thought they were taking a knee in honor or Black lives matter.  

Maybe this is just my ignorance, but regardless I kept my mouth shut and allowed them to take the few moments they needed to complete whatever they were doing, and I hope that is what most were doing at the tourney. 

You make an awesome point, my friend. Nobody knew what they were doing or praying to. At that moment and for all we know, they could’ve been praying to Lucifer (Satanism), The Universe (Pantheism), or Inner Peace (Buddhism)…either way, I did what you also did and shut my mouth and let them do whatever it is they were doing. 

I guess it wasn’t validated that is was a Christian prayer until recently. But ultimately, I’m making the argument that if the kids were Muslim and they brought out all of their Islamic materials needed to practice their belief (during or after the match), would the crowd, overall, would have given them the same respect as you and I have the 120 kids? 

52 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Hmm I am a little confused by this argument.

I personally did not know what religion either of them were praying to.  I was not sure what exactly they were doing. No hands in a prayer (which would indicate christian), they were sitting down on knee (I thought maybe a jewish ritual)  at one point I thought they were taking a knee in honor or Black lives matter.  

Maybe this is just my ignorance, but regardless I kept my mouth shut and allowed them to take the few moments they needed to complete whatever they were doing, and I hope that is what most were doing at the tourney. 

In my mind I think you make a very good point goo. This was a brief, quiet expression of their faith that was not anything out of the ordinary. I would like to think a wrestler of any religion could take a few moments to do something similar without backlash. Now if we introduce any extraordinary actions we likely do get a different response especially if done on the mat. The time to take off shoes or bring items (rug, water) to the mat is a little different. But I would like to think we could be tolerant of that happening off to the side of the mat. 

12 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

I guess it wasn’t validated that is was a Christian prayer until recently. But ultimately, I’m making the argument that if the kids were Muslim and they brought out all of their Islamic materials needed to practice there belief (during or after the match), would the crowd, overall, would have given them the same respect as you and I have the 120 kids? 

I understand your concern.  Many people fear that they don't understand or things out of the ordinary. 

I either out of ignorance or curiosity (probably ignorance) I find things that are different interesting and try to understand it more.  I don't have to agree with what it is, but I should understand it and know why it is being done. 

Either way as MaMa always said ignorance is bliss. .

And I for one am very blissful.