Breywho

120 finals prayer

Most amazing thing I have ever seen after a finals match. Breydon is an amazing young man. Im so blessed to know him and his family . Very special kid!!! Very Powerful moment. 

Kentucky Wrestling is a Family!!! 

• Upvote 2

This gave me chills. Two of the best wrestlers in the state beat and banged on each other. Trying to force the other into the will for 6 minutes. Physical match. As soon as it was over the respect to each other was amazing. Two amazing young men who give all the glory to God. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Breywho said:

This is Breyden Whorton. I am a Christian athlete with my faith coming first. I wanted to thank TJ. I wanted to thank the Larue and Walton Verona coaches for both coming out and joing the prayer. I wanted to thank anyone that joined in the prayer or stayed silent for it. This was more than just 2 wrestlers this was to show how strong his love can be to everyone and spread his message. All glory goes to the lord. 

EB040712-677D-43BB-B414-6145451D2A22.jpeg

Very proud of you Breyden. That’s a great way to let your light shine!

• Upvote 1

Very cool. Congrats to both kids on great seasons. Takes a special kid to lose a match, but still be composed enough to participate in a prayer. Parents and coaches should be proud of both wrestlers!

• Upvote 1

I like both of these kids because they're wrestlers. Honestly, how would you all feel if a couple Muslims or Rastafarians practiced their religion in that venue at that time? I'm calling it grandstanding.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Definitely not grandstanding. I won’t claim to be totally unbiased given my religious preference, but this expression of faith was totally in silence and not at all about bringing attention to the kids on the mat. In fact the wrestler who initiated this was the underdog and asked the favorite to pray prior to the match regardless of who came out on top. If we had more kids like these kids our world would be such a better place. 

17 hours ago, tiltfor3 said:

I'm calling it grandstanding.

Calling it this is a little harsh.  I don't believe that either were trying to grandstand, just doing what they believe is right.  I was confused at first what was going on, but thought it was nice that everyone else allowed it to happen.  But, I do understand your point, not sure it would have been received well if it was another form. 

**Just to be clear I have no dog in this fight.  I have no allegiance. 

18 hours ago, tiltfor3 said:

I like both of these kids because they're wrestlers. Honestly, how would you all feel if a couple Muslims or Rastafarians practiced their religion in that venue at that time? I'm calling it grandstanding.

Unpopular opinion, but I tend to agree with you. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, tiltfor3 said:

I would disagree on the grandstanding given it that they’re kids. But I absolutely would agree that the overall gym’s reaction would have been EXTREMELY different if two Muslim wrestlers stopped the match and began their prayer ritual. I honestly wouldn’t have been surprised if those two Muslim wrestlers were boo’d and some in the stands started chanting USA. After all, Kentucky is predominantly Trump supporters in most rural counties and we all know how he feels about Muslims.

And don’t come at me with that “keep politics out of sports” whining…

• Downvote 6

So we have two kids that agreed to hit there knees and give thanks for what ever they choose to and believe in and it’s grandstanding? Not in my eyes and I don’t have a dog in the fight. I have my spiritual belief and don’t hold someone else’s belief against them. This was two kids that put in a lot of work and left it all on the mat. My hats off to both and I wish I had that when I was in high school. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coach Livingston said:

I would disagree on the grandstanding given it that they’re kids. But I absolutely would agree that the overall gym’s reaction would have been EXTREMELY different if two Muslim wrestlers stopped the match and began their prayer ritual. I honestly wouldn’t have been surprised if those two Muslim wrestlers were boo’d and some in the stands started chanting USA. After all, Kentucky is predominantly Trump supporters in most rural counties and we all know how he feels about Muslims.

You really think highly of the wrestling community - the one sport where politics is largely absent.

You would be correct there would likely be booing if “both wrestlers stopped the match” to do a Muslim prayer. However, these kids are Christians and the match had concluded on its own. 

Note: you’re the one who brought up politics and stretched the situation to its thinnest hypothetical, unrealistic conclusion. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Coach Livingston said:

I’m pretty sure you live in the same region as me. I don’t agree with any political view most can say because they are all crooked. I believe in ethics, respect, and personality. I bowed my head like most of the arena did on Saturday because that is ky wrestling. We have some bad and ugly but for the most part I think you will agree we all are out for the same goal in mind. That is to help the kids. Black,white,Hispanic purple or blue. I treat them all the same. Does that mean we have the same political views as the parents of these kids. Absolutely not. Everyone get that choice as an American. Us as coaches need to treat the kids the same and make them the best people coming into this crazy world we live in. If that wasn’t my goal I wouldn’t be coaching like I am. This was about faith in something greater than his self. I got this kids back and any other kid that wants to make a bigger point than a state title no matter his religion. We can learn something from everyone if our eyes are open. 

To those that want to be negative, I can attest that both of their hearts were pure and it was not Grandstanding.  Check your own heart before judging others.

As for Breyden, last year when he lost in the finals he walked off the mat to a hallway.  Asked me to pray with him.  Thanked God for the opportunity and ability to wrestle for him.  As I had tears in my eyes, some feeling his loss for him and some for the good man that he is, he looked at me and said if you need a minute to gain your composure, take your time, I am heading up to be with my team and get ready for awards.

When TJ beat him earlier this year, he took a moment and prayed on the mat.

Win or lose, that is the heart and faith he has shown.  

Not disrespectful, not for you or others to give him accolades or try to tear him down.

There is enough wrong in the world we live in right now, if you don't agree with him, close your eyes, turn around, or simply clear your own hate and don't judge him or others.

For those saying what if another religion, I was in charge of the night shift of the largest terrorist prison in Afghanistan.  I woke up everyday and said regardless of how these in prison act today, I will treat them with dignity and respect. Many humbling stories I could share. Although I fall short sometimes, that is how I try to act with everyone. Would be a greater place if we all tried the same.

With that being said, as he practiced his freedom of religion, you all have the right to freedom of speech.  You also have the freedom of choice and could choose to not be negative about everything in life.

Congratulations to all that met their goals, keep grinding for those that fell short, and God Bless to all!

JW

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Bluecollar103 said:

So we have two kids that agreed to hit there knees and give thanks for what ever they choose to and believe in and it’s grandstanding? Not in my eyes and I don’t have a dog in the fight. I have my spiritual belief and don’t hold someone else’s belief against them. This was two kids that put in a lot of work and left it all on the mat. My hats off to both and I wish I had that when I was in high school. 

Nobody is holding anything against them. The argument was made that if these two were Muslim, for example, what would have been the crowds general reaction especially given the rituals that occurred during a Muslim prayer.

11 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

You really think highly of the wrestling community - the one sport where politics is largely absent.

You would be correct there would likely be booing if “both wrestlers stopped the match” to do a Muslim prayer. However, these kids are Christians and the match had concluded on its own. 

Note: you’re the one who brought up politics and stretched the situation to its thinnest hypothetical, unrealistic conclusion. 

Hello my friend…to quote Darth Vader, I find your lack of knowledge about the Muslim faith disturbing, LOL

Muslims, from my understanding, have specific times that they pray throughout each day. That’s why I intentionally stated that they would be “stopping the match” to pray. At the time of the finals last Saturday, this would have fallen on or around the Maghrib (sunset prayer), and Isha (night prayer)Thus, your comment about my hypothetical scenario gives my theory, of how these two hypothetical Muslim wrestlers would have likely been treated by the crowd, much weight and validity. After all, people generally fear what they don’t understand.

In addition, I also find your lack of knowledge about politics & wrestling also disturbing. If politics was so “largely absent” in wrestling, then why did the IOC try to do away with wrestling in the 2020 Olympics and it took a bipartisan effort from US legislatures (politicians) like Dave Loebsack (D-Iowa), Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), and Tim Walz (D-Minn.) to advocate to the IOC why wrestling should stay? Note: Thinking politics doesn’t exist in your local wrestling team is absolutely naive, my friend. There’s such thing as “playing politics” as well, but I digress.

As much as we like to think there aren’t politics related in wrestling, just ask your local public school team what they have to go through in order to get the school to pay for the team to compete…..those bureaucratic hoops that those coaches jump through are the epitome of politics.

I hope that I have enlightened all the readers to step outside their comfort zone and learn more about a faith that’s not Christianity. 

3 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

I don't understand what the argument is. We have freedom of religion for a reason, I think it is awesome that he did this.

The argument is not about practicing freedom of religion, the argument is about how the kids would’ve been treated if they were a different religion, such as Muslim.

11 hours ago, Bluecollar103 said:

I’m pretty sure you live in the same region as me. I don’t agree with any political view most can say because they are all crooked. I believe in ethics, respect, and personality. I bowed my head like most of the arena did on Saturday because that is ky wrestling. We have some bad and ugly but for the most part I think you will agree we all are out for the same goal in mind. That is to help the kids. Black,white,Hispanic purple or blue. I treat them all the same. Does that mean we have the same political views as the parents of these kids. Absolutely not. Everyone get that choice as an American. Us as coaches need to treat the kids the same and make them the best people coming into this crazy world we live in. If that wasn’t my goal I wouldn’t be coaching like I am. This was about faith in something greater than his self. I got this kids back and any other kid that wants to make a bigger point than a state title no matter his religion. We can learn something from everyone if our eyes are open. 

That’s great that you feel that why. I also bowed my head when they were praying because I’m also a Christian. 

However, if we look it this situation from an objective as opposed to subjective approach, a person can make the argument that if “KY wrestling” is so predominantly Christian faith, then it is not too far fetched to also make the argument that the said predominantly Christian crowd would have reacted differently. 

Well within your scenario, the referee would hit them both with stalling as the rules would dictate.  If it were a second stalking call for one or both of them, it would be a point.

Furthermore as I have described I spent more years in Muslim majority countries than probably you have and most of the readers. Worked side by side with many as interpreters.  Have had many discussions back and forth.

I won't claim to be an expert, but there must be a verse that allows them miss and make up the prayer.  So I would guess they would probably continue the match, and then head straight to a clear direction facing the mecca.

If a prayer is missed, it is common practice among Muslims to make it up as soon as it is remembered or as soon as they are able to do so. This is known as Qadaa. For example, if one misses the noon prayer because of a work meeting that could not be interrupted, one should pray as soon as the meeting is over.

I hope that I have enlightened you on the religion that you bring up.

10 minutes ago, J.W. said:

Well within your scenario, the referee would hit them both with stalling as the rules would dictate.  If it were a second stalking call for one or both of them, it would be a point.

Furthermore as I have described I spent more years in Muslim majority countries than probably you have and most of the readers. Worked side by side with many as interpreters.  Have had many discussions back and forth.

I won't claim to be an expert, but there must be a verse that allows them miss and make up the prayer.  So I would guess they would probably continue the match, and then head straight to a clear direction facing the mecca.

If a prayer is missed, it is common practice among Muslims to make it up as soon as it is remembered or as soon as they are able to do so. This is known as Qadaa. For example, if one misses the noon prayer because of a work meeting that could not be interrupted, one should pray as soon as the meeting is over.

I hope that I have enlightened you on the religion that you bring up.

Exactly…so let’s take this scenario and place it in the exact scenario and context as last Saturday…if they missed their prayer time and the match has ended, would the crowd have reacted differently if their coaches immediately brought out their prayer rugs, fresh bowl of water, wrestling shoes taken off, etc.? That’s the question at hand. It doesn’t matter how many time you or I or anybody has been across seas…the question, at hand, is simply would the crowd have likely or not likely acted differently if it was a different religion being practiced….and my objective opinion is they absolutely would have.

But, what you said about stallings does bring up an interesting conversation/scenario…and if there are any referees that could chime in, please do…What would that truly look like if two people, practicing their religion belief during a match, were potentially disqualified?

31 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

Hello my friend…to quote Darth Vader, I find your lack of knowledge about the Muslim faith disturbing, LOL

Muslims, from my understanding, have specific times that they pray throughout each day. That’s why I intentionally stated that they would be “stopping the match” to pray. At the time of the finals last Saturday, this would have fallen on or around the Maghrib (sunset prayer), and Isha (night prayer)Thus, your comment about my hypothetical scenario gives my theory, of how these two hypothetical Muslim wrestlers would have likely been treated by the crowd, much weight and validity. After all, people generally fear what they don’t understand.

1) I didn't know Darth Vader was such a staunch Muslim apologist.

2) Pretty interesting that no Muslim has ever wrestled a match during a sunset. Or maybe they find a way around that - just like Ramadan. 

3) The booing or grumblings in your hypothetical scenario (that has never happened in the history of the world, to my knowledge) has nothing to do with religion, but a  6 minute match being stopped prematurely before a pin, tech, or clock runs out.  Kinda like watching a movie that gets stopped right before the climax for them to share a word from their sponsors. 

4) The bold and underlined prayers seem to be copied and pasted. Did you have to look them up to educate yourself in an attempt to confirm your bias? 

5) Breyden is the kind of character every coach should want in their room. I look forward to getting to know him as our paths cross this off season. Kudos to JW for raising a solid young man. 

Hmm I am a little confused by this argument.

I personally did not know what religion either of them were praying to.  I was not sure what exactly they were doing. No hands in a prayer (which would indicate christian), they were sitting down on knee (I thought maybe a jewish ritual)  at one point I thought they were taking a knee in honor or Black lives matter.  

Maybe this is just my ignorance, but regardless I kept my mouth shut and allowed them to take the few moments they needed to complete whatever they were doing, and I hope that is what most were doing at the tourney.