Sign in to follow this  
WhiteTiger95

All time Goats

46 minutes ago, Tbagnky said:

That '83 team is the benchmark at Conner. They have a reputation as not just a great team, but one that went out to make sure you knew you were in a dogfight. Win or lose, they made their presence known.

That is nothing short of the truth.  I know first hand fighting against them all year.  Was a dog fight that year in NKY.  Simon won the Conference tourney Campbell second Conner 3rd

Conner won District Campbell 2nd Simon 3rd. Campbell won region Conner 2nd Simon 3rd. Conner won state 4 points over Campbell 2nd. 

With all that said they were a great set of guys off the mat.  

9 hours ago, 385 said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned John Wolsiefer yet 

Oh my yeah. Total machine on the mat. I have a Paul Bunyan story about him. 

Before I got into coaching I spent one year as an official. Mark Hitchings called me to come over and officiate a dual meet for his Fern Creek MS team that was the gold standard at that time. They were wrestling a tough IN team. After a few matches of light kids Coach Hitchings informed me that he had a really tough kid who was going to wrestle a few weights and matches in a row. That kid was Wolsiefer. This bad little dude proceeded to murder like 7 kids in a row each one a little bigger. His HS career didn’t finish the way anyone wanted, but at his peak he was one of the most dominant 152/160 range kids I’ve seen. 

6 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Before I got into coaching I spent one year as an official. Mark Hitchings called me to come over and officiate a dual meet for his Fern Creek MS team that was the gold standard at that time. They were wrestling a tough IN team. After a few matches of light kids Coach Hitchings informed me that he had a really tough kid who was going to wrestle a few weights and matches in a row. That kid was Wolsiefer. This bad little dude proceeded to murder like 7 kids in a row each one a little bigger. His HS career didn’t finish the way anyone wanted, but at his peak he was one of the most dominant 152/160 range kids I’ve seen. 

That’s insane. He was absolutely a machine to watch and one of the first people to make me love wrestling as is he is just a bit older than me. So many studs on those old fern creek youth teams

IMO, Scott Cooper never gets the credit he deserves in these discussions.

Freshman Year - 2000 - 3rd place - 125

Sophomore Year - 2001 - 2nd place - 130

Junior Year - 2002 - 1st place - 140

Senior year - 2003 - 1st place - 140-  beat 2x State Champ Luke Metzker in the finals.

Time to add Cole Thomas to this discussion. 4x state champion, MOW as Senior. Never lost to a wrestler in KY all 4 years. Every finals opponent either was or went on to win a state championship. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DamonMBarnes said:

IMO, Scott Cooper never gets the credit he deserves in these discussions.

Freshman Year - 2000 - 3rd place - 125

Sophomore Year - 2001 - 2nd place - 130

Junior Year - 2002 - 1st place - 140

Senior year - 2003 - 1st place - 140-  beat 2x State Champ Luke Metzker in the finals.

IMO Cooper v Metzger was quite possibly the best state finals match I have seen

31 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

IMO Cooper v Metzger was quite possibly the best state finals match I have seen

Agreed.  It's the best I ever saw.  Metzger had beaten him earlier in the year to if I remember correctly.

53 minutes ago, DamonMBarnes said:

Agreed.  It's the best I ever saw.  Metzger had beaten him earlier in the year to if I remember correctly.

Anyone happen to have the video Of that match anywhere?  Would love to watch

1 hour ago, bestmistake33 said:

Anyone happen to have the video Of that match anywhere?  Would love to watch

Video definitely exists. From some things I heard this weekend I believe we may be in a position to have access to lots of great historical content in the future. Check out Alex Green on Facebook or YouTube. He just started a state championship review series that sounds absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Video definitely exists. From some things I heard this weekend I believe we may be in a position to have access to lots of great historical content in the future. Check out Alex Green on Facebook or YouTube. He just started a state championship review series that sounds absolutely amazing. 

I totally can I 100% think you all are missing out if you haven't watched Alex Green's video series. I have heard numerous stories about some of the guys he's covered. But seeing them under the lights changes my opinions.

The Merritt video under the lights is chilling with the Dungeon atmosphere. 

On 2/27/2022 at 12:01 PM, MLee said:

Time to add Cole Thomas to this discussion. 4x state champion, MOW as Senior. Never lost to a wrestler in KY all 4 years. Every finals opponent either was or went on to win a state championship. 

Was in a discussion over the weekend. What other 4 X'ers went undefeated in KY? I know ATM never lost. Did anyone from KY beat Brock, Fahy, Courtney, Knable, Clarkston, or Harden? I don't think anyone touched Brock or Knable, but not 100%. Did Courtney ever lose from 9th-12th? No clue on Clarkston or Harden.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MLee said:

Was in a discussion over the weekend. What other 4 X'ers went undefeated in KY? I know ATM never lost. Did anyone from KY beat Brock, Fahy, Courtney, Knable, Clarkston, or Harden? I don't think anyone touched Brock or Knable, but not 100%. Did Courtney ever lose from 9th-12th? No clue on Clarkston or Harden.

To my understanding Knable never lost a match to a KY wrestler. Fahy apparently never gave up an offensive point to anyone from KY

On 2/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, MLee said:

98- Jeff Everman

103-Joe Carr JR.

112-David Ritchie

119-Kyle Ruschell

125-John Fahy

130-Brock Irvin

135-Dave Barnes

140-Issac Knable

145-Jerod Trice

152-Willie Ennels

160-Harrison Courtney 

171-Tendai Charasika

189-Miguel Merritt

215-Austin Meyers

HWT-Bruce Stepp

**Update**
125- Cole Thomas

135- John Fahy

Sorry Barnes...

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MLee said:

**Update**
125- Cole Thomas

135- John Fahy

Sorry Barnes...

Great list. Although, Dave should get some extra credit for rocking that sweet stache his senior year. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MLee said:

Does anyone have the list and years of the 4x State Champions in order? I had the pleasure of standing there listening to Mike Bandcamper and John Roth, on the state floor, trying to count them and recall the years that it occurred. Mike and John counted 7,including Cole Thomas. I thought I had heard 9 somewhere. What I do know is that Bryce Sheffer was an inspiration for Cole Thomas his whole middle school and high school career. Bryce certainly set the bar at a level that few will ever obtain. What a great legacy he has left this wrestling community with. I am excited for Cole Thomas to be mentioned among names like Carr, Knable, Fahy, Meyers and Clarkston in the record books.  It’s been an incredible journey for sure he has blessed our family with. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameface said:

Does anyone have the list and years of the 4x State Champions in order? I had the pleasure of standing there listening to Mike Bandcamper and John Roth, on the state floor, trying to count them and recall the years that it occurred. Mike and John counted 7,including Cole Thomas. I thought I had heard 9 somewhere. What I do know is that Bryce Sheffer was an inspiration for Cole Thomas his whole middle school and high school career. Bryce certainly set the bar at a level that few will ever obtain. What a great legacy he has left this wrestling community with. I am excited for Cole Thomas to be mentioned among names like Carr, Knable, Fahy, Meyers and Pinkston in the record books.  It’s been an incredible journey for sure he has blessed our family with. 

I’d have to look up the years, but the ones I know of are:

James Earl Hardin

Robbie Clarkston

Joe Carr 

Isaac Knable

Harrison Courtney

John Fahy 

Brock Ervin

Austin Myers

Bryce Scheffer

Cole Thomas

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameface said:

Does anyone have the list and years of the 4x State Champions in order? I had the pleasure of standing there listening to Mike Bandcamper and John Roth, on the state floor, trying to count them and recall the years that it occurred. Mike and John counted 7,including Cole Thomas. I thought I had heard 9 somewhere. What I do know is that Bryce Sheffer was an inspiration for Cole Thomas his whole middle school and high school career. Bryce certainly set the bar at a level that few will ever obtain. What a great legacy he has left this wrestling community with. I am excited for Cole Thomas to be mentioned among names like Carr, Knable, Fahy, Meyers and Pinkston in the record books.  It’s been an incredible journey for sure he has blessed our family with. 

Man, what an oversight on my part. How did I forget about him. I remember watching Sheffer rip through a tough Rumble bracket like hot butter one year. I believe he beat an undefeated kid from Elder in the finals. He was so poised and technical on his feet. Very fun to watch. I believe Cole was my towel boy that day! 

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2022 at 1:05 AM, Ranger123 said:

John Wolsiefer was as tough as they come.  I almost talked him into coming out of retirement to join me at Campbellsville.  He would have been a multiple time AA for sure.  

The KYWCA has approved a KYWCA Wrestler HOF.  All of this information will be helpful in inducting the first class.  We still have a few criteria to line out but I think this will be a cool way to honor the guys of the past for sure.