Sign in to follow this  
WhiteTiger95

All time Goats

1 minute ago, WhiteTiger95 said:

I would also like to add some honorable mentions: lampe brothers, JJ Jude, Bobby Bryant , Zane brown

knable is one of the few who should be on both top 10 coaches/wrestlers 

Jude may have "only" been a 2x champ, but he made the semifinals the 3 previous seasons as an 8th (130), 9th (145), and 10th (160) grader, placing 4th, 3rd, 3rd, before winning two titles. 

Im not going to base my answer off of titles, but more so my opinion since a lot of the best guys will have matching number of titles. This is all based on their time in HS. I do think I would personally be on the list but will pick my top 10 without me.

Brock Ervin -He has the titles and got robbed at Ironman with a headgear pull. Was at a traditionally tough weight class and could compete with best in country

Austin Meyers -Probably the most dominate out of Kentucky ever and won a Flo title to match his VA beach medals. Kentucky being weaker up top keeps him under Brock IMO.

Isaac Knable -I wasn't around when he was wrestling, but stories speak for themselves. Fantastic coach as well. (Go buy a FootWork Trainer if you havent yet!)

Spencer Moore -World team member, starting at a D1 program when he should be picking out his afro on the way to high school prom. Ranked top 10 in country.

Jojo Carr -He has the titles. He beat some of the best guys in the country and did well at the biggest HS tournaments out there. He also beat me up everyday.

John Fahy -He has the titles, was arguably one of the strongest P4P guys i've ever wrestled, and could compete with some of the best in the country. 

Sean Fausz -He dominated a VERY good Kyle Lawson in the finals his senior year. His Freestyle success and depth at his weight is why he is on my list. 

Trae Blackwell -I feel he gets left off these lists a lot due to his loss to David his senior year. People seem to forget how that match went down and how amazing Davids career has been since. Trae was ranked in country and great career. (Taking nothing away from David)

For the last 2 I will group in a couple of guys. Mark Hall and David Carr. I dont want to give them their own lines as they both were one and done. It is hard for me to count anyone that didn't wrestle at least half their  HS career in KY. Mark Hall and David were both Ranked 1st in country in HS. Shout out to Myron by the way! 

It is hard for me to look at anything older than what I did due to my age. With that being said I do not think there is anyone that is unarguably better than the guys in this list. 

These are two other guys that I feel may be able to slot in here. Can't remember if Sheffer was ranked in country or not to pass Blackwell. Little is a top 10 in the country guy, length of resume hold him back a little. 

Stephan Little

Bryce Sheffer

Stephen Little. Runner up as a freshman to Zane Brown @ 160lbs. 2x state champ going for his third. Won many USAW preseason nationals so far out in Iowa (if I remember correctly). Ironman Placer (5th) losing two different overtime matches to top 10 nationally ranked guys. Beat Indiana state champ who is nationally ranked this year, where the Mater Dei kid pinned his way thru a state title. His resume is stout. 

3 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Stephen Little. Runner up as a freshman to Zane Brown @ 160lbs. 2x state champ going for his third. Won many USAW preseason nationals so far out in Iowa (if I remember correctly). Ironman Placer (5th) losing two different overtime matches to top 10 nationally ranked guys. Beat Indiana state champ who is nationally ranked this year, where the Mater Dei kid pinned his way thru a state title. His resume is stout. 

I'll take that Ironman run over all the USAW preseason titles.  Little showed he was right there and good enough to win that tournament.

I can admit when I am wrong UKPride. The USAW Pre-Season doesn't really do It for me as It isn't typically loaded with Nationally ranked guys.  With that being said his Iron man run was impressive and he clearly is up there with the best to do It. Going off just senior years alone I would say he is easy top 8 all time just due to national ranking. 

103/106 Travis Sullivan (Wayne Co) 4 year state qualifier at 103 2X (9th, 10th) 11th 112 Champ 12th 112 runner up. 

215/220 Austin Myers 4X undefeated state champ. 

Those are the easy ones. 

1 hour ago, MLee said:

Want to make this topic really interesting, list your GOAT per weight class. Would need Ranger to set the weight classes. 

Oh that’s easy. Best weight class set ever:

103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215, 285

Then because I like the little guys I am adding 98lbs

98- Jeff Everman

103-Joe Carr JR.

112-David Ritchie

119-Kyle Ruschell

125-John Fahy

130-Brock Irvin

135-Dave Barnes

140-Issac Knable

145-Jerod Trice

152-Willie Ennels

160-Harrison Courtney 

171-Tendai Charasika

189-Miguel Merritt

215-Austin Meyers

HWT-Bruce Stepp

That was a lot harder than I thought. I probably gave the old heads way too much credit. Reality is, new generation would open a can on those 80’s and 90’s guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLee said:

That was a lot harder than I thought. I probably gave the old heads way too much credit. Reality is, new generation would open a can on those 80’s and 90’s guys.

Dang MLee you can’t end the discussion that quickly by immediately giving the best answer. You hit a home run with that lineup. But I will sugges one adjustment. Since Kyle never weighed 119 in high school I’m dropping him to 112. I literally saw him step on the scale his senior year at the Dragon less than 113 pounds and stil wrecked that bracket. Then you slide Boston in at 119. 

1 hour ago, MLee said:

98- Jeff Everman

103-Joe Carr JR.

112-David Ritchie

119-Kyle Ruschell

125-John Fahy

130-Brock Irvin

135-Dave Barnes

140-Issac Knable

145-Jerod Trice

152-Willie Ennels

160-Harrison Courtney 

171-Tendai Charasika

189-Miguel Merritt

215-Austin Meyers

HWT-Bruce Stepp

What’s the story on Everman? 

19 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

What’s the story on Everman? 

He was an absolute monster. He pinned the defending state champion (David Donnelly) in the state finals in the 1st period (I believe) as a Sophomore. The next year, he pinned a young man by the name of Pat Martz in 17 seconds at Districts. Missed weight at Regionals and never wrestled again. Martz went on to win his 1st of 3 state championships that year.

22 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Dang MLee you can’t end the discussion that quickly by immediately giving the best answer. You hit a home run with that lineup. But I will sugges one adjustment. Since Kyle never weighed 119 in high school I’m dropping him to 112. I literally saw him step on the scale his senior year at the Dragon less than 113 pounds and stil wrecked that bracket. Then you slide Boston in at 119. 

Boston should be in there somewhere. I wanted Brad Cooper as well, but already had 2 Pioneers. Almost put Storms at 103 just to watch your head explode. 
I never seen Ritchie wrestle, but heard he was in a class of his own. 

13 minutes ago, MLee said:

Boston should be in there somewhere. I wanted Brad Cooper as well, but already had 2 Pioneers. Almost put Storms at 103 just to watch your head explode. 
I never seen Ritchie wrestle, but heard he was in a class of his own. 

Ha ha. Yeah that might have triggered some ptsd. But can’t say much he beat me at SKIT then I missed weight. So he has the hardware and all I got were the mental scars. 

1 hour ago, MLee said:

He was an absolute monster. He pinned the defending state champion (David Donnelly) in the state finals in the 1st period (I believe) as a Sophomore. The next year, he pinned a young man by the name of Pat Martz in 17 seconds at Districts. Missed weight at Regionals and never wrestled again. Martz went on to win his 1st of 3 state championships that year.

Funny you write this. I remember the baddest guy in my class being Mike Lee. The Lee twins were scary. 

Todd Cole 4X state qualifier 2nd Jr year 1st Sr year

Tom Cole State champ Senior year

Troy Cole 5X state qualifier 2nd 8th Grade 4th Fr. 1st Soph, and Jr. year (MVW) 2nd Sr. year.

I would say statistically Troy, but I think the other two would want to get on the mat and decide it with a royal rumble with little brother. 

44 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Todd Cole 4X state qualifier 2nd Jr year 1st Sr year

Tom Cole State champ Senior year

Troy Cole 5X state qualifier 2nd 8th Grade 4th Fr. 1st Soph, and Jr. year (MVW) 2nd Sr. year.

I would say statistically Troy, but I think the other two would want to get on the mat and decide it with a royal rumble with little brother. 

I agree, I bet they would scrap it out for bragging rights.  

OK here goes.  I took one from Ranger and made a spread sheet. Still not satisfied but.... 

98-Charles Dunlap (Manual)------------------------Backup Jeff Everman (SK)

103- Travis Sullivan (Wayne)---------------------Backup Jason Talbott (Old) and Kyle Ruschell (Ryle)

112- Bryce Schaffer (Union)

119- David Ritchie (Cald)-----------------------Backup Garth Yenter (Camp)

125- Brock Ervin (Union)--------------------------Backup Jacob Murton (Lawrence)

130 Isaac Knable (StX)-------------------------Backup Sean Fausz (Camp)

135 Brad Cooper (SK)-------------------------Backup David Barnes (SK)(Let these two battle it in the SK wrestling room)

140 John Fahy(Trin)

145- Joe Carr (Wood)-------------------------------Backup Ian Horn (Wood)(Let these two battle again in the Wood. wrestling room)

152 Jarrod Trice (Hop)---------------------------Backup Willie Ennels (Hop)(Let the hop-town legends battle it out)

160 Harrison Courtney (Wood)-----------------Backup Curt Zinga (Camp)

171 Tendai Charasika (StX)

189 Miguel Merritt (Hop)------------------------Backup David Moore (HenCl)

215 Austin Myers (Camp)--------------------------Backup Tyler Schearer (SO)(Would have loved to see these to go at it just to see....)

Hwt- Bruce Stepp (Sh Cl)--------------------------Backup Dion Washington (Wood)(might as well let him keep him the bridesmaid)

Wrestling Consultants  James Earl Hardin (KSB) (1st 4X state champ in the 60's) Robbie Clarkston (Con)(just couldn't find a spot for him)

Yes I know I cheated a little bit. LOL

13 hours ago, CUTiger184 said:

I agree, I bet they would scrap it out for bragging rights.  

They still fight over who could (can) beat who. Troy always pulls the MVW card. Someone told me that they saw Todd throw Randall Lews around like a rag doll a couple years after high school, while he was at UK. I don't know if that's fact or fiction, but beating a gold medalist is quite impressive. 

That '83 team is the benchmark at Conner. They have a reputation as not just a great team, but one that went out to make sure you knew you were in a dogfight. Win or lose, they made their presence known.

This bring up another debate as to the GOATS of teams. Any suggestions?