Sign in to follow this  
WhiteTiger95

All time Goats

Nate Carr, Robert Ervin, Tj Ruschell, Kyle Ruschell, Harrison Courtney, Saul Ervin, Brock Ervin, Brandon Reed, Sean Fausz, Isaac Knable to name a few. 

I would give my vote to Knable !!

he is still rolling with these  boys and putting out state champions year after year !

invicta wrestling academy has been the best thing that ever happened for Ky wrestling (even though it’s in Indiana) !

• Upvote 1

Best Careers:  Dave Ritchey, Joe Carr Jr, Brock Irvin, Harrison Courtney, Issac Knable, Austin Myers 

Most Dominant Season: Dave Barnes 

Best Post-High School Careers: Dominic Black, Dave Barnes, Kyle Ruschell

• Upvote 1

I have always hated these type of questions. It's hard to decide who the GOAT is all time. 

For example just a few names from the 90's

Livingston Merritt  3X state champ 6 time placer. 

Tendi Charasika Extremely dominant during his time. 

Joe Carr Jr. 4X state champ 1X runner up (2nd his Freshman year)

Bruce Stepp one of the most dominant big men 3X SC

Willie Ennels 3X SC 1X runner up. (2nd his Soph year)

Jarod Trice 2X very dominating (I believe he did not wrestle his Sr. year)

Just a few from the past. 

As for coaches I will list those with state championship titles that I believe would be top 10 (I know I listed 11)

Brother Joseph Willhelm

Chuck Anderson

Wayne Badida

Mike Bankemper

Jim Perrin

Jim Ploesser

Rusty Parks

Jim Kraezig

Gary Canter

Jim Matney 

Robert Ervin

I would say with a very honorable mention. 

Kenny Ellenbrad, Phil Coomes, Steve Fiser, Dennis Walls

3 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

As for coaches I will list those with state championship titles that I believe would be top 10 (I know I listed 11)

Brother Joseph Willhelm

Chuck Anderson

Wayne Badida

Mike Bankemper

Jim Perrin

Jim Ploesser

Rusty Parks

Jim Kraezig

Gary Canter

Jim Matney 

Robert Ervin

I would say with a very honorable mention. 

Kenny Ellenbrad, Phil Coomes, Steve Fiser, Dennis Walls

I am so glad you mentioned Rusty Parks (Woodford County) and Jim Ploesser of Hopkinsville.  They both, like Robert Ervin, took teams out of state and competed against tough out of state competition.  These are men who helped develop Kentucky wrestling.  

Thank you for mentioning them.

• Upvote 1

Zeke Escalera- Fargo champ

Spencer Moore- national team member and youngest D1 starter

Ryan Moore- ranked 2nd in naia

Nate Wheeler- ranked 2nd

Trent Johnson- ranked 3rd 

Spencer Moore starting in D-1 when he should just be a senior in high school!  Dave Barnes had a very dominant senior year then 3 time all American at D-1. Cole Thomas will possibly be a 4X state champion. To many others to name. 

GOO, I understand not liking these sort of debates when people get too emotional and heated about them.  But hopefully everyone keeps this discussion more positive.

I am only focusing on HS years here.  This makes it really hard to compare the old school names, but I also tend to look more at national level competition to determine who I thought were the best guys.  Winning state titles is awesome, but quite often it is way tougher to bring home hardware from Fargo, Super32, or NHSCA than it is to win a state championship.

I have experienced it first hand with my boys trying to compete on the national level and I sort of use their careers as a frame of reference.  Super32 medals are rare in Ky.  Only a few Ky boys have brought one home from NC and Spencer has 2 along with the UWW Cadet National title and World Team.  But he never got the chance to go to Fargo and failed to medal in his only trip to Va Beach.  Ryan medaled 4 times at NHSCAs, once at Fargo, once at UWW Cadets, and twice at Flo.  Couldn't get that Super32 medal though.  All that said I don't know that either is top 10.  I would like to think they are in the conversation, but there have been some really good kids come through the state.

2 that I think set themselves apart from the crowd were:

Nathan Boston - only Steven Micic kept him from being a 4 time state champ, but the thing that stands out for Nathan is the fact that he was #1 in the country.  Not the best in the state, but the best in the country.  Moving to Ky likely kept him from maintaining that spot throughout his HS career as we got absolutely no credit back then.  But he was in the conversation as one of the best at his weight throughout his HS career.

Austin Myers - to me his 4 year run in HS was the best I have seen hands down.  He mowed down the competition.  I don't think Chris would disagree with me that no one in Ky has ever stacked up the awards from those big national events like ATM.  I still remember sitting in the corner coaching him on the big stage in the finals at FloNationals when I thought he killed a kid almost driving him through the stage with a monstrous double leg at 215 pounds.  He was an animal from day 1. 

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

GOO, I understand not liking these sort of debates when people get too emotional and heated about them.  But hopefully everyone keeps this discussion more positive.

I am only focusing on HS years here.  This makes it really hard to compare the old school names, but I also tend to look more at national level competition to determine who I thought were the best guys.  Winning state titles is awesome, but quite often it is way tougher to bring home hardware from Fargo, Super32, or NHSCA than it is to win a state championship.

This is exactly why I don't like these type of questions.  Many of the older guys either did not know about these national tournaments or many of them don't have the means to compete in them.  Many of these older names are 1st generation wrestlers in their family, therefore it was not a top priority to compete nationally or find a way to do so. 

I do admire those families that sacrifice a ton for their wrestler to compete nationally.  I however don't hold anything against those that didn't or don't.  We all know how hard it is to keep everyone in the family happy both those that compete in wrestling and those that don't.  

I am sure there are even older names from the 70's and 60's that I am not familiar with that deserve some recognition. This is why I like to take these type of questions and look at decades as to who were the GOAT of their era. 

90s- The Merritts, Bruce Stepp, Tendai Cherasika, Joe Carr, Ian Horn

2000s- Kyle Ruschell, Jacob Murton, Taylor Sherer, Isaac Knable, John Fahy

2010s- Austin Myers, Brock Ervin, Mark Hall, David Carr

I'm sure I left some great ones off, but these guys came to mind quickly.

GOO your points are 100% valid and I agree.  That's why this should be purely a nice discussion of the great accomplishments and abilities of the best of the best and not some authoritative list.  Way too many nuances and difficulties in comparing across time with varying levels of opportunity and different criteria that we all use to judge this type of thing.

With that a few old school names that would make my list regardless of my earlier "national success" criteria:

Jarrod Trice - never saw him wrestle, but if half of the folk lore type stories I heard about this guy are correct he might be the best ever at his peak.  As GOO mentioned he didn't have a full career, but I heard that even after his serious injury in HS, he got back on the mat and was still the baddest dude in the gym

Willie Ennels - imagine high school version of Ed Ruth who was virtually unstoppable when he decided he wanted to score

Jon Wiard - I may be the only person with this guy on the list, but he is like a unicorn that is frozen in my memory from my days on the mat.  Wiard was a long, skinny kid who walked on the mat in that baggy Frankfort singlet looking like he accidentally wandered into the gym from an academic team contest.  But once the whistle blew he was so tough with that deadly cradle 

11 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I have experienced it first hand with my boys trying to compete on the national level and I sort of use their careers as a frame of reference.  Super32 medals are rare in Ky.  Only a few Ky boys have brought one home from NC and Spencer has 2 along with the UWW Cadet National title and World Team.  But he never got the chance to go to Fargo and failed to medal in his only trip to Va Beach.  Ryan medaled 4 times at NHSCAs, once at Fargo, once at UWW Cadets, and twice at Flo.  Couldn't get that Super32 medal though.  All that said I don't know that either is top 10.  I would like to think they are in the conversation, but there have been some really good kids come through the state.

2 that I think set themselves apart from the crowd were:

Nathan Boston - only Steven Micic kept him from being a 4 time state champ, but the thing that stands out for Nathan is the fact that he was #1 in the country.  Not the best in the state, but the best in the country.  Moving to Ky likely kept him from maintaining that spot throughout his HS career as we got absolutely no credit back then.  But he was in the conversation as one of the best at his weight throughout his HS career.

Austin Myers - to me his 4 year run in HS was the best I have seen hands down.  He mowed down the competition.  I don't think Chris would disagree with me that no one in Ky has ever stacked up the awards from those big national events like ATM.  I still remember sitting in the corner coaching him on the big stage in the finals at FloNationals when I thought he killed a kid almost driving him through the stage with a monstrous double leg at 215 pounds.  He was an animal from day 1. 

In spite of the WWE type of hype dad cast over him, I would agree…the most dominant both in state and on a national level.

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Jarrod Trice - never saw him wrestle, but if half of the folk lore type stories I heard about this guy are correct he might be the best ever at his peak.  As GOO mentioned he didn't have a full career, but I heard that even after his serious injury in HS, he got back on the mat and was still the baddest dude in the gym

Jon Wiard - I may be the only person with this guy on the list, but he is like a unicorn that is frozen in my memory from my days on the mat.  Wiard was a long, skinny kid who walked on the mat in that baggy Frankfort singlet looking like he accidentally wandered into the gym from an academic team contest.  But once the whistle blew he was so tough with that deadly cradle 

All I remember about Trice is Coach Plosser yelling moves from the corner and Jarrod doing whatever he told him to do in the finals. 

Jon Wiard was unconventionally good.  Lost in overtime his Jr. year in the finals. Looked like he came right out of the movie "Hoosiers". 

58 minutes ago, MLee said:

Robbie Clarkston- 4x state champ + a runner-up as an 8th grader.

I need to hear some Paul Bunyan stories about Clarkston.  Given what he accomplished I have heard virtually nothing about him.  Where are the old time Conner guys to tell us some stories about a little 8th grader competing in that room that had plenty of hammers?