naplesme

State Tournament Hope

39 minutes ago, bestmistake33 said:

I’m still flabbergasted that day 1 of this tournament will be happening at the same time and place as kids who are studying and in class.  How in the heck are they going to fit double the amount of wrestlers, fans, and coaches at GRCHS?

will the KHSAA ask fans to keep cheering to a minimum to not disturb students?  I’m kidding… I think…?

gates for fans at 9. Weigh ins at 9:45.  If you’re early plan on fighting other normal school traffic. 

Anyone miss the horse park yet!?!

I think gates open at 10 for fans, don’t want someone standing for an hour waiting. 

1 hour ago, bestmistake33 said:

Anyone miss the horse park yet!?!

Our family and friends, and most of the family's of team mates, when my son was wrestling through HS, LOVED, LOVED the Horse Park location and Tourney.  Now I know that a small number of folks here, did not, but as a venue, we still feel it was terrific.  8 to 10 mats as best as i recall, and the pictures i have look quite a bit like the ones the OP has on their first post.  (minus the number of fans that some of those venues had, as the Horse Park had plenty of extra seats in my personal videos / photos)   Our son, also spoke highly of the facility and has fond very fond memories of participating at State there.

I seem to recall, at least with 1 year, that they did to the finals better than the other years, with the mats in the middle, and the lights set up to spot light them.  It was pretty cool !!

And for GentleBeard, an FYI :)

" Boys High School State Wrestling venue: high school gym

Girls High School State Wrestling venue: middle school gym

Imagine these venues for any other sport. Pretty wild. "

Now in regards to other sports, Volleyball, at least in the 20 or 30 years i've been around it, has had it's state tourney's hosted in a High School Facility.  Currently, due to Covid they similarly to wrestling, have Semi-State's the week before, but in 8 !!  different high schools (Each of the 16 Regions has a champ that advances and they random draw the entire bracket EVERY year.  The following weekend, at least during the Covid years, they moved the Championship also to Winchester's New HS Gym.  Pre-Covid it was at the Valley High School EVERY year in Louisville, as a 2 or 3 day Tourney, for as far back as I can remember.  Each match in the covid years, has required it's own ticket !!.  So, each match completes, they clear out the facility of fans, and then next the next matches fans come in.  So, to view the entire tourney in the 2nd week, those match tickets add up to the expense VERY quickly !!!  

In reality, Volleyball, is MUCH more suited to have a Tourney hosted at HS sites, 1 court in a large Gym like Valley High School was always pretty nice imho, but my reply here is just an FYI about Championship High School Sports being hosted at High Schools :)  For size and numbers comparisons, Volleyball is the largest Girls sport, participation wise, in Kentucky at the High School Level. In Terms of total number of Teams, Volleyball has 266 different participating teams which is #2 overall for number of Teams .. right behind Basketball's at 275. 

-------

So, again, it's down to facility's, sizeable enough, fiscally reasonable enough, and having the ability and openings to host a Wrestling Tournament, .... 'well' .  Which, as many others have pointed out (each and every year it seems :) ) ,  Kentucky, does not have in abundance or frankly at ALL.  Those arenas that could do it, 'Bigger' are just to expensive for the crowds that we get, or not available for use even if they weren't to big/expensive.  I personally think centrally located would be really nice, but that really just means Louisville, and there's nothing there that i know of that is available that meets the above criteria sadly.

Help me out  

KHSAA State tournament venues:

football: UK

basketball: UK 

girks bball: UK

baseball: UK 

softball: UK 

Swimming: UK

track and field?

soccer? 

Wrestling GRC high school 

volleyball: ? 

1 hour ago, Lowsingle said:

Help me out  

KHSAA State tournament venues:

football: UK

basketball: UK 

girks bball: UK

baseball: UK 

softball: UK 

Swimming: UK

track and field?

soccer? 

Wrestling GRC high school 

volleyball: ? 

Track is at UK.

soccer is PLD I believe.

vb unknown.

why not host it at western Ky uni. Plenty big facility, wrestling in Bowling green. Semi centrally located.

2 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Track is at UK.

soccer is PLD I believe.

vb unknown.

why not host it at western Ky uni. Plenty big facility, wrestling in Bowling green. Semi centrally located.

Volleyball is at now at GRC after being held at Valley High School for many years.

4 hours ago, coachteater said:

Baseball is at Legends field, not uk. But still at a nice none school facility 

This year it is being held at KY Proud park at UK.