naplesme

State Tournament Hope

Anyone think the powers that be in Lexington will ever give us this? One can dream. 

In order: Washington, Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Illinois, and Texas

Washington.jpg

Colorado.jpg

Missouri.jpg

Montana.jpg

Illinois.jpg

Texas.jpg

Those venues look amazing!

Instead, Kentucky is having their state tournament at a high school gym while on Friday, school will be in session.  I can't even imagine what parking and traffic is going to be like with all the students showing up for school at the same time as all of the buses and competitors.

Looks like another year of streaming the finals for my old grumpy butt.  

Good luck to all!

3 minutes ago, bestmistake33 said:

Those venues look amazing!

Instead, Kentucky is having their state tournament at a high school gym while on Friday, school will be in session.  I can't even imagine what parking and traffic is going to be like with all the students showing up for school at the same time as all of the buses and competitors.

Looks like another year of streaming the finals for my old grumpy butt.  

Good luck to all!

I completely forgot about it being on a school day! You’re completely right, especially it being at a 6A school. I can’t imagine how packed it’s gonna be

Boys High School State Wrestling venue: high school gym

Girls High School State Wrestling venue: middle school gym

Imagine these venues for any other sport. Pretty wild. 

Rhode Island doesn’t even do that.

Feel pretty bad for this last few years of wrestlers that have to deal with this crap.  

2023 needs to be a mission to get back to the best of KY wrestling. one state tournament in a nice venue with pageantry and celebration of the hard work it took to get there.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, CradleKY said:

Feel pretty bad for this last few years of wrestlers that have to deal with this crap.  

2023 needs to be a mission to get back to the best of KY wrestling. one state tournament in a nice venue with pageantry and celebration of the hard work it took to get there.

Can not agree more.  So..,what are the practical steps to make that happen?

KHSAA should allow others to run the state tournament and, in turn, let KHSAA take credit for a well run, exciting, fanfare filled tournament. Freedom Hall is a good resource. I know there’s a wrestling coach with connections there. Cost would be a non issue. Fans would have to eat the food they provide - which is common at most venues anyway. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

KHSAA should allow others to run the state tournament and, in turn, let KHSAA take credit for a well run, exciting, fanfare filled tournament. Freedom Hall is a good resource. I know there’s a wrestling coach with connections there. Cost would be a non issue. Fans would have to eat the food they provide - which is common at most venues anyway. 

I think the problem with Freedom is twofold. One, they host the National Farm Machinery Show every year which seems to always be the same weekend as state. 2nd, Bellarmine, since moving to D1 uses Freedom as it’s home basketball arena. Freedom would be a great place to hold the event, but it would likely mean having state either earlier or later, or possibly changing the weekend it’s held every year, which is doable, even if inconvenient in terms of what floating tHe date would do to scheduling year after year.

4 regions. Based on the numbers from track, that'd average out to around 20 wrestlers to a weight class. For this year anyway.

Top 4 would get a 16 wrestler bracket for state.

I haven't been able to say this in the past, but I am hopeful we can make some positive change going forward for wrestling in Ky.  It is true we are locked in somewhat to the current format for the next couple years.  But if we have the right leadership involved from the coaches and administrators, I think some good things can happen for boys and girls in the years to come.

18 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

Where would you like to host it at?  What venue?    

WKU, EKU, Freedom Hall, KFC Yum Center, Rupp I don't care that Adolph would roll over in his grave), etc.

If Colorado can host in the Home of the Denver Nuggets- the Ball Center, then why can't Kentucky host in a facility that is in line with the pomp and circumstance that should go with hosting a State Championship. js

• Upvote 1

I would love for state to be at freedom hall. Parking and seats would not be an issue. 

if we have to stick with semi state, we should have 4 semi states . Top 4 from the 4 semi states go to state . This way less travel, less Covid spread, etc

36 minutes ago, WhiteTiger95 said:

I would love for state to be at freedom hall. Parking and seats would not be an issue. 

if we have to stick with semi state, we should have 4 semi states . Top 4 from the 4 semi states go to state . This way less travel, less Covid spread, etc

The problem with that is too many of the kids that should be at the state tournament are left at home with much weaker competition at the state tournament.

Look at results from who made it through.  

Under your theory, regions 1 and 2 combined, 3 and 4 combined, etc, etc.

Now look at results where 1 and 2 got 5 or 6 of the 8 through at true semi and vice versa.  There are kids at the state tournament this year that deserve to be there that would not have been under your 4 region alignment.    

Trying to do right by the competitors!

A long day for some fans is worth it for the competitors, is it not?

2 hours ago, naplesme said:

WKU, EKU, Freedom Hall, KFC Yum Center, Rupp I don't care that Adolph would roll over in his grave), etc.

If Colorado can host in the Home of the Denver Nuggets- the Ball Center, then why can't Kentucky host in a facility that is in line with the pomp and circumstance that should go with hosting a State Championship. js

Adolph Rupp’s first coaching job was actually coaching wrestling. 

4 hours ago, tcats said:

Adolph Rupp’s first coaching job was actually coaching wrestling. 

3 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

And winning a state title in Iowa that year. (Marshalltown 1926)

I should have remembered that. So I'll change it to the basketball purists would be Apoplectic if we laid down mats on Rupps floor.

12 hours ago, naplesme said:

This is the attitude we need for change. There is absolutely NO reason for us to accept our state tournament to be held in a high school gym.  We need to be flexible on dates, locations, and do whatever it takes to make the state tournament a bigger event than it is now.

Money shouldn’t be an excuse either. If that’s the problem, I know many people that would be willing to help out financially. 

I love the sport of wrestling.  I have a 5 year old son who I am torn on introducing to the sport. Part of me thinks he’d benefit from what everyone who has ever wrestled learned from the sport. Then part of me thinks his time might be better invested in other sports that are more supported by our state. 

The support wrestling gets in this state is pathetic. A middle school basketball team gets more support than most top high school wrestling teams. And we wonder why kids don’t want to wrestle. 

We should never accept hosting our state tournament in a high school gym. That’s a complete insult to the kids and demonstrates a failure by the adults making decisions. I watched videos from last year’s state finals and felt really bad for those kids. 

The fact our state tournament is held in a high school gym just highlights our pathetic leadership at the state level. I don’t know any of the people in charge, but anyone who is involved with planning our state tournament at a high school gym should be ashamed of themselves.  

I guarantee I could get 5 buddies and a few weeks of planning and we could plan a better tournament than what we have now. 

• Upvote 1

I’m still flabbergasted that day 1 of this tournament will be happening at the same time and place as kids who are studying and in class.  How in the heck are they going to fit double the amount of wrestlers, fans, and coaches at GRCHS?

will the KHSAA ask fans to keep cheering to a minimum to not disturb students?  I’m kidding… I think…?

gates for fans at 9. Weigh ins at 9:45.  If you’re early plan on fighting other normal school traffic. 

Anyone miss the horse park yet!?!