GL494

Not good KHSAA

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

If evaluations/rankings/rating scales work in other states, why can't they work in Kentucky?  The officials association is not a corporate entity like you mention. A google form with objective questions with scales is not a hard thing to keep track of, nor does it cost a tremendous amount of money. It doesn't take as much time as you think it would to complete, either (5 minutes, tops). I mean, if Ranger can rank the top 30 kids across 14 weight classes, evaluating 80-100 refs would be a piece of cake - especially if they had PIN's instead of names. Where there's a will, there's a way.  

All I'm saying is I think this is attacking the problem the wrong way. Like I've said 1000 times, all the accountability in the world means nothing if we don't have enough officials. Fixing this problem starts with having enough officials so that any form of accountability lessens the amount the bad officials work. The less proficient officials have to work now at the high school level because we don't have enough to go around. The other issue is of the 86 officials we currently have, how many are truly bad? Does it make sense to to put even more pressure on the good officials by rating their every move and possibly run them off to weed out the dozen or so bad ones? Especially with the reality that because of low numbers the bad ones are going to end up working anyway? Fix the low numbers first. Once we get that right, work on the accountability more if you need to, although I still say this should not be totally in the hands of coaches, who naturally aren't unbiased. I've never yet seen a coach to ask a ref to overturn a bad call that went in his wrestlers favor. And I've run enough tournaments to know that I can't even get coaches to fill out an MOW ballot that takes 1 minute to fill out and turn in. A 5 minute form isn't anymore likely to get filled out. Which means the only ones you'll get returned are the ones that are negative.

I actually have told an official to change a call that went in my wrestlers favor. Now those situations all involved my sons so I didn’t have to worry about parent feedback. But generally that’s not happening. 

Video replay with the official and both coaches have to agree.  All 3 mic'd up during the discussion as they are watching the replay.  That would be a classic way to handle all questionable calls and allow the fans saying what are they discussing to enjoy the moment.  

The moral and ethical compass would be put in check by everyone. 

I think the real issue is inconsistency in calls from ref to ref.

One calls a take down with two feet (toes) just inside the circle and later on another calls the same situation as no take down. Not to mention the takedown that was called with both wrestlers clearly and fully outside the line when control was established.

A locking hands call before the returned wrestler hit the mat and an other clear locking hands not called at all.

Stalling on a top position when the bottom wrestler has NOT gotten his belly off the mat for 30 seconds then stalling on the top position with both legs in and a half applied.

Just really frustrating seeing this and many more at our state tournament!

Go to Ohio and the stalling calls come quick and often in the regular season, just wondering out loud if they had a kid or ever had a kid dq’d from their state tournament for stalling……

I could keep going but I’ll stop.

5 hours ago, Tapout said:

I think the real issue is inconsistency in calls from ref to ref.

One calls a take down with two feet (toes) just inside the circle and later on another calls the same situation as no take down. Not to mention the takedown that was called with both wrestlers clearly and fully outside the line when control was established.

A locking hands call before the returned wrestler hit the mat and an other clear locking hands not called at all.

Stalling on a top position when the bottom wrestler has NOT gotten his belly off the mat for 30 seconds then stalling on the top position with both legs in and a half applied.

Just really frustrating seeing this and many more at our state tournament!

Go to Ohio and the stalling calls come quick and often in the regular season, just wondering out loud if they had a kid or ever had a kid dq’d from their state tournament for stalling……

I could keep going but I’ll stop.

I had a college teammate who was stalled out in OT in the Ohio state finals..so it does happen there too. Growing up near Ohio, we wrestled about half our matches across the river and stalling was completely different over there. If you were on top and weren’t turning the bottom guy, you were called for stalling. I knew I had about 15-20 seconds to turn the kid or else I was going to get hit so you had to kick them out. 

17 hours ago, J.W. said:

Video replay with the official and both coaches have to agree.  All 3 mic'd up during the discussion as they are watching the replay.  That would be a classic way to handle all questionable calls and allow the fans saying what are they discussing to enjoy the moment.  

The moral and ethical compass would be put in check by everyone. 

Man don't bring video into the mix.  

#1 Every match would have to be recorded. (Would be touch to require every mat to have a video at every tourney)

#2 How often do we use it? If you only get 1 or 2 a match then it still does not solve the problem when a call is wrong after you use the time out. 

#3  Do we really want to add even more time to the events? 

I know personally I do not like the video replay in any sport.  It takes away from the sport.  If we micromanaged every second of the match with electronics there would be no human factor. 

I know many times in the sports that I played part of the game was blocking the view of the official/referee/Umpire to get away with a call. (Part of the game)

Just now, grappler-of-old said:

Man don't bring video into the mix.  

#1 Every match would have to be recorded. (Would be touch to require every mat to have a video at every tourney)

#2 How often do we use it? If you only get 1 or 2 a match then it still does not solve the problem when a call is wrong after you use the time out. 

#3  Do we really want to add even more time to the events? 

I know personally I do not like the video replay in any sport.  It takes away from the sport.  If we micromanaged every second of the match with electronics there would be no human factor. 

I know many times in the sports that I played part of the game was blocking the view of the official/referee/Umpire to get away with a call. (Part of the game)

I was being completely sarcastic.  Just imagine hearing two coaches and a referee mic'd up for the entire venue to hear on a loud speaker.  Half agreeing with one and half the other.  It would be a mess.