GL494

Not good KHSAA

Grateful for any support of the sport, but wow coming from another state the semi-state 1 exemplified a need to take a page from others. 

244 wrestlers in a venue with 4 mats, wrestling to 8th place …. Goes past 9pm  - so poor … especially folks coming from long drive in different time zone  

Randomized seeding - again so bad. 

is there really not a way to do a meaningful venue? Fairgrounds, convention center, any number of colleges? If it’s a money thing charge a little more for admission or just commit to supporting these athletes better. 

UC not at fault because they hosted it well as possible , but geez. 

2023 - PLEASE consider one state tournament, a real venue that puts the athletes first, and take the time to seed these guys (they deserve it). 

great job wrestlers, refs, and people that made it work as best as possible…. But bad call KHSAA - shameful 

• Upvote 3

Years ago the state tournament was held at the Civic Center in Frankfurt, which was a bona fide stadium. It was well run and approximated the state tournaments in many other states. Since that time, in my humble opinion, the quality of the entire state tournaments series has gone downhill. The KHSAA seems to understand state tournament formats for major sports like football and basketball, but they show a complete lack of understanding of what the wrestling community would enjoy, and what would promote the sport.  However, you may have  to accept that this will fall on deaf ears.  If you look back at previous years you will see the same threads on this Site over and over again.  Most members of the wrestling committee, I think, have probably given up on the possibility of positive change.

The thing that kills it is the going back and forth between two mat areas/auxiliary gyms. When you watch grandparents and elderly struggle all day walking up and down bleachers and stairs trying to get to their grandchildren. You would think the least khsaa could do is find a gym or arena big enough for more mats even if it's still 2 rounds of state. 

• Downvote 1

I watched Indiana’s state finals and it was a party! They started it late and celebrated it. Our semi state finals started about the same time and was viewed as an inconvenience. 1/2 the teams and 3/4 of the fans left. Part of it really is a state of mind. Part of it is a real venue. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

I watched Indiana’s state finals and it was a party! They started it late and celebrated it. Our semi state finals started about the same time and was viewed as an inconvenience. 1/2 the teams and 3/4 of the fans left. Part of it really is a state of mind. Part of it is a real venue. 

Man!!!! That’s what I’m saying. Start late celebrate late. Give me a Corona with lime and I’m good. Helps the old bones man. 

4 hours ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Man!!!! That’s what I’m saying. Start late celebrate late. Give me a Corona with lime and I’m good. Helps the old bones man. 

Yes!!! A place to drink a beer after 10 hours of wrestling would have hit the spot. 

Semi state 2 was a statement that wrestling is second rate and a nuisance to the KHSAA.. What is supposed to be a post season event felt like a glorified scrimmage. No Awards, no fanfare, no celebration of the hard work these young men and women have put in all season No KHSAA representation for at least the first 2 hours of a KHSAA post season "event".We was informed about 8:50 that the parade of champions that was scheduled  for 9:00 was not going to happen because "we did not want to be there until midnight" then stood around 45 minutes waiting for matches to start. We have regressed since the dungeon in Frankfort  The KHSAA needs to do better. the wrestling community, the parents and most importantly the kids deserve better. They deserve a venue. They deserve the same respect that other sports receive. Put the basketball sweet 16 at a high school gym and see what happens.

8 hours ago, Tapout said:

Copy this for the other tournament!

There should be a huge outcry from anyone who cares about wrestling!!!

So I am curious of your opinion of the other tournament? Or are you echoing your dislike of us being stuck with this semi-state format?

1 hour ago, tcats said:

Semi state 2 was a statement that wrestling is second rate and a nuisance to the KHSAA.. What is supposed to be a post season event felt like a glorified scrimmage. No Awards, no fanfare, no celebration of the hard work these young men and women have put in all season No KHSAA representation for at least the first 2 hours of a KHSAA post season "event".We was informed about 8:50 that the parade of champions that was scheduled  for 9:00 was not going to happen because "we did not want to be there until midnight" then stood around 45 minutes waiting for matches to start. We have regressed since the dungeon in Frankfort  The KHSAA needs to do better. the wrestling community, the parents and most importantly the kids deserve better. They deserve a venue. They deserve the same respect that other sports receive. Put the basketball sweet 16 at a high school gym and see what happens.

So let me start by saying I agree with most of what you are saying but lets shed a little light on a couple of your statements. Were you aware there was 5 scratches that rollups had to be done for and and furthermore KHSAA wanted to control how those rollups were done. There was also a delay while waiting on KHSAA to make a decision on an issue with 215, so there is your 45 minutes. There was a decision made to scratch the parade in order to keep the tournament on track and not keep those wrestlers, their families and fans there any longer than needed since we knew it was going to be a long day, I don't remember anybody speaking up when asked if anybody had an issue with the decision, as a matter of fact I believe everybody was onboard. The last match was wrestled at 8:07 pm, 14 full 16 man brackets of competitive wrestlers, if I recall everyone seemed onboard to knock this out in one day vice two days but I could be wrong.

I will give credit where credit is due. Great Crossing did do a good job keeping everything going smoothly. As far as the issue at 215 and the roll ups KHSAA should have been there to make those decisions or relinquish control. 

8 minutes ago, tcats said:

I will give credit where credit is due. Great Crossing did do a good job keeping everything going smoothly. As far as the issue at 215 and the roll ups KHSAA should have been there to make those decisions or relinquish control. 

And I totally agree...

1 hour ago, jnv858 said:

So I am curious of your opinion of the other tournament? Or are you echoing your dislike of us being stuck with this semi-state format?

Tcats said it well.

On top all those issues, when the venue doesn’t even really have enough seating it gives a very after thought, minor league, vibe. There were not good views from lower section so that meant standing in balconies if you want to see all the mats.

It’s supposed to be a HIGH SCHOOL state tournament but had the elementary state tournament feel. 
It should be in an arena with proper accommodations for a high school finals.

My opionion: the tournaments should have been  classified as district, regional, and state. To call it a semi state and not even have awards seems like KHSAA doesn’t care about the quality or the experience. The kids deserve better, the fans deserve better and sadly the KHSAA could have done better.

3 hours ago, jnv858 said:

So let me start by saying I agree with most of what you are saying but lets shed a little light on a couple of your statements. Were you aware there was 5 scratches that rollups had to be done for and and furthermore KHSAA wanted to control how those rollups were done. There was also a delay while waiting on KHSAA to make a decision on an issue with 215, so there is your 45 minutes. There was a decision made to scratch the parade in order to keep the tournament on track and not keep those wrestlers, their families and fans there any longer than needed since we knew it was going to be a long day, I don't remember anybody speaking up when asked if anybody had an issue with the decision, as a matter of fact I believe everybody was onboard. The last match was wrestled at 8:07 pm, 14 full 16 man brackets of competitive wrestlers, if I recall everyone seemed onboard to knock this out in one day vice two days but I could be wrong.

From what it sounds like, the hosting schools did a good job keeping the tournaments rolling and no one is faulting the tournament directors. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

From what it sounds like, the hosting schools did a good job keeping the tournaments rolling and no one is faulting the tournament directors. 

At SS#2 I have a complaint.  This falls on the shoulders of the tournament director.  When you contact him the day before and his best choice for a local place to grab breakfast is First Watch that is an issue.  Jnv858 has a lot to learn about running a tournament.  :D  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

At SS#2 I have a complaint.  This falls on the shoulders of the tournament director.  When you contact him the day before and his best choice for a local place to grab breakfast is First Watch that is an issue.  Jnv858 has a lot to learn about running a tournament.  :D  

You are absolutely correct Chris, I screwed up on that end...but I think we bought all the food up in Georgetown in order to feed half the state  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think this is one we just have to learn from.  It is my understanding that the KHSAA basically put semi-state on the calendar as a two day event.  Most coaches to my knowledge pushed to have it in a single day to minimize travel and expense and probably a number of other issues.  Also remember the coaches made this current semi-state format recommendation to the KHSAA (and I thought it was a huge improvement over last year) and to their credit they listened to the feedback and implemented it.  So while it sounds like both UC and GC did a great job running the events, there are some changes that need to be made to make it more fan friendly and probably a better experience for the competitors.  Under this format there will be no awards as the KHSAA views it as the first "round" of the state event.  I agree that is a bit confusing for us wrestling folks, but it might be something we just have to get used to, at least until we have a better format in place.  On the venues, from what I recall not many folks were beating the KHSAA doors down to host these events.  The host likely didn't make anything when all was said and done.  Simply just had the headaches and backaches of running a long wrestling tournament.

When all is said and done, we are finishing up a full wrestling season that will include a great state event this weekend.  If we go into the weekend whining and complaining before we get to GRC, we will likely find plenty more to complain about.  Let's enjoy the last week of the season and if you are so inclined share your constructive thoughts AND IDEAS with coaches and administrators that can hopefully affect some change.  I was at Great Crossing, hopefully doing more good than harm helping jnv, and had a great conversation with our new KHSAA wrestling leader.  He wants to understand our sport better and make positive change where it makes sense. 

35 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

I think this is one we just have to learn from.  It is my understanding that the KHSAA basically put semi-state on the calendar as a two day event.  Most coaches to my knowledge pushed to have it in a single day to minimize travel and expense and probably a number of other issues.  Also remember the coaches made this current semi-state format recommendation to the KHSAA (and I thought it was a huge improvement over last year) and to their credit they listened to the feedback and implemented it.  So while it sounds like both UC and GC did a great job running the events, there are some changes that need to be made to make it more fan friendly and probably a better experience for the competitors.  Under this format there will be no awards as the KHSAA views it as the first "round" of the state event.  I agree that is a bit confusing for us wrestling folks, but it might be something we just have to get used to, at least until we have a better format in place.  On the venues, from what I recall not many folks were beating the KHSAA doors down to host these events.  The host likely didn't make anything when all was said and done.  Simply just had the headaches and backaches of running a long wrestling tournament.

When all is said and done, we are finishing up a full wrestling season that will include a great state event this weekend.  If we go into the weekend whining and complaining before we get to GRC, we will likely find plenty more to complain about.  Let's enjoy the last week of the season and if you are so inclined share your constructive thoughts AND IDEAS with coaches and administrators that can hopefully affect some change.  I was at Great Crossing, hopefully doing more good than harm helping jnv, and had a great conversation with our new KHSAA wrestling leader.  He wants to understand our sport better and make positive change where it makes sense. 

You are absolutely correct. We came out of this weekend with plenty of ideas for improvements going forward. One of which was this really should've been a two day event for a multitude of reasons. The conversations I had with our new KHSAA leader led me to believe he is interested in learning our sport and he as well was looking for ways to better the event, I believe. And Ranger you were absolutely more help than a hindrance.

5 minutes ago, jnv858 said:

You are absolutely correct. We came out of this weekend with plenty of ideas for improvements going forward. One of which was this really should've been a two day event for a multitude of reasons. The conversations I had with our new KHSAA leader led me to believe he is interested in learning our sport and he as well was looking for ways to better the event, I believe. And Ranger you were absolutely more help than a hindrance.

You guys did a fantastic job! I spoke with the commissioner briefly and he seems real positive about the sport. 

On 2/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, Tapout said:

To call it a semi state and not even have awards seems like KHSAA doesn’t care about the quality or the experience.

Here's the thing, the KHSAA didn't call it semi-state.  It was called the first round of the state tournament.  The tournament concludes this weekend, so of course they wouldn't give out awards yet.

• Upvote 1

Wondering why the the live feed for other state championships, namely NY and KS (we've lived both those places and I have been switching back and forth watching kids we know), have Trackwrestling scoreboard and names in the corner and KY doesn't. 

4 hours ago, MLee said:

Did I just watch a kid score 15 points and get stalled out of a match while up by 4 w/ :08 seconds left??

Only in KY

Was it the same official that just decided the 150 pound state championship with a stalling call with 8 seconds to go in the third? That clown needs to be ran out of the gym and never needs to be invited back.