Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2021-22 Rankings - February 8

Alright, it's been slow coming but I finally got the pre-region update finished.  We don't have all the brackets so this does NOT reflect any kids that are out for the post season.  Next week we will get all of those updates integrated and get a very good sense where state will play out.

A number of changes after some great matchups at state duals.  And I'm sure we will see some crazy action this weekend with some very deep regions across the state.

Union has a slight edge at this point, but with both Union and Ryle battling through extremely tough regions, there is still a LOT left to be determined.

Rankings_21_22_0208.pdf

I know it couldn't be the case in this region (b/c they were one of the first to post their brackets), but I can’t help but wonder how many coaches/kids could make similar decisions based on the staggered, inconsistent release of the regional brackets.  I won't profess to know how the post season is assembled and coordinated b/t coaches or Track but is this possible?  Is it a blind-spot we could button up? It seems the opportunity could be there should someone want to consider it.   If you look across the 8 Regions on Track, some were available for view on Mon., more yesterday, etc.  Conversely, it seems some regions still haven’t had their seed/coaches meeting, etc. (or at least as indicated by Track).  It's almost like a “virtual” dual meet where one can sit back and see who Region 1 puts out at a particular weight before finalizing their lineup.  In the end, I think most kids/coaches are going to land where they feel have the best shot regardless of other team moves but if there are team title implications, we might level the playing field and remove that temptation by releasing them all at the same time.  Again, I'm not an authority on the matter and don't even know if it's a concern - just an observation.  Good luck to everyone this weekend and through their march to State!

• Like 1

I've been a vocal supporter of making and posting brackets as soon as possible for awhile now. Whether or not that is done is up to the tournament director who usually does so based off of the desire of the coaches at the seeding meeting. I can confirm, for example, that the Region 4 seeding meeting did in fact happen but the brackets probably won't be up until the day of the tournament itself. Which this isn't up to trackwrestling, this is set by whoever is tournament director. When I have been a tournament director I work to post brackets as soon as I can. Some directors won't build brackets until after weigh ins because they may have to rebuild the bracket because of scratches at weigh-ins and such. Coaches who are opposed to posting brackets early often complain they don't want their wrestlers to be able to look at the bracket and freak out, while I am personally sympathetic to that issue I don't personally consider it a strong argument in not posting brackets, especially because of the potential competitive advantages/disadvantages it could theoretically offer in this circumstance.

So all that to say if you want all brackets posted in advance of the regional tournament that is a tournament director decision and who questions and such would need to be directed to. Also keep in mind, again from experience, that being the tournament director can be a pretty thankless job already and 99% of the time the director just wants to be invisible and for the tournament to run smoothly.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I hate the whole speculation aspect but I get that’s part of it….at the end of the day can’t we all just show up and wrestle and let chips fall where they may? No ducking or dodging. Just leave it all in the mat and what happens happens. Just me. 

• Upvote 1

I've personally never understood the "post the bracket early" thing.  What real difference does it make?  Other than getting ready for your 1st opponent there is nothing, and the coaches already know this anyway.  

As a fan/spectator the regional tournament is going to happen regardless. I find it hard to believe that someone will either go or not go determined by the bracket set up.  I am good with not posting the brackets till the start of the tourney.  There is almost always a change.  

Heck back in the stone age when I wrestled I didn't know who I was going to wrestle until I got there and sometimes when I stepped on the mat.  Even then I probably didn't know or care what his name was afterwards. 

KHSAA rules indicate that the entries should be made viewable to the public 2 days prior to the event. See screen shot.

Don't see a rule about posting them early, however since a team/individual can gain a competitive advantage by seeing who is participating, then I believe they should all be released at exactly the same time. Its crazy not to.

1427895382_ScreenShot2022-02-09at12_41_26PM.thumb.png.d5022e21af49fa3908df5360f002801a.png

• Upvote 2

I feel like as long as the meetings are done at the same time, it doesn't matter when you post them. Every one having a seeding meeting the Sunday prior to regions would eliminate any competitive advantage. Then if a region wanted to post theirs the next day so be it, everyone would already be locked into a weight.

1 minute ago, 119Rider said:

I feel like as long as the meetings are done at the same time, it doesn't matter when you post them. Every one having a seeding meeting the Sunday prior to regions would eliminate any competitive advantage. Then if a region wanted to post theirs the next day so be it, everyone would already be locked into a weight.

no, you can still move weights before weigh in, but theres rules on how to do it with the seeding

@coachteater You are right, I just meant it would be somewhat better method. We have our meetings on the Thursday prior to districts here in Missouri. Any changes need to be made prior to weigh ins and then a reseeding is determined. It is very rare for there to be such moves due to wrestling being the next day. Only changes that really occur are usually because of some type of injury to a wrestler. Coaches get brackets that day, but are not published on Track for viewing to spectators until couple hours prior to tourney.

I’m confused on why Malachi is ranked 26th if he’s beat the 17th ranked guy in #165. Also Parker McKee is ranked 7th at #120 but wrestles #126

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mtg said:

I’m confused on why Malachi is ranked 26th if he’s beat the 17th ranked guy

Come on man ,are you really arguing over a #17 spot  ?

we are lucky that Ranger takes the time to even do a top 30 ,most states only do a top 10 . Cut Ranger some slack ,we are so fortunate that he takes the time to do this at at alll !!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mtg said:

I’m confused on why Malachi is ranked 26th if he’s beat the 17th ranked guy in #165. Also Parker McKee is ranked 7th at #120 but wrestles #126

To paraphrase Ranger, it’s not just about the wins. You also have to look at the losses. If your guy has some bad losses, and losses to guys the other guy has beaten and you haven’t, you will be ranked lower even if you’ve beaten him. It’s about the whole body of work.

13 hours ago, Mtg said:

I think this is another case of mistaken identity.  According to Track Mr. Gray did not wrestle the #17 ranked kid, it was the same team but not the same kid. 

Happens all the time.  

14 hours ago, Mtg said:

I’m confused on why Malachi is ranked 26th if he’s beat the 17th ranked guy

#17 is Caden Rodriguez....As you can see, that is not who Malachi wrestled from Meade Co. Rodriguez bumped up to 175 for that dual. 

image.png.15d4fe9c59988673ac066bfd56c256cc.png