BeastMode23

Top picks for Middle School

36 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

In the past middle school has always ended before high school.

Oh I see what you are saying- so this had never had a reason to be addressed before.

3 hours ago, BaxterBigD said:

Oh I see what you are saying- so this had never had a reason to be addressed before.

Yes. It’s never been a big deal until now. Last year Jordyn Raney won ms, then 2 weeks later won high school. Gonna be a little different this year after high school. There will be 6 or 8 high school placers going back to ms. 

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

Yes. It’s never been a big deal until now. Last year Jordyn Raney won ms, then 2 weeks later won high school. Gonna be a little different this year after high school. There will be 6 or 8 high school placers going back to ms. 

Or maybe they will realize that they are beyond Middle School and not bother. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, naplesme said:

Or maybe they will realize that they are beyond Middle School and not bother. :rolleyes:

Leavell going to skip it? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

really MS needs to go back to ending prior to HS season. This season is WAYYYYYYYYYY too long. 

Yes. Losing kids to soccer and baseball. Not good to grow wrestling. 

8 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

really MS needs to go back to ending prior to HS season. This season is WAYYYYYYYYYY too long. 

I originally voted for the extended season and I agree.  For the kids who are serious it is fine. The kids who are just getting introduced to it or aren't year around are struggling with it for sure.  

10 minutes ago, GooglyMoogly said:

I originally voted for the extended season and I agree.  For the kids who are serious it is fine. The kids who are just getting introduced to it or aren't year around are struggling with it for sure.  

After the yr is over I am going to speak up during the zoom meeting to propose a change. We cannot expect a young kid who is getting into the sport to last from Nov-Mar. I get it you have serious kids about competing but again this is Middle School. There are PLENTY of opportunities in surrounding states to get matches. 

If this extended season mess continues, we will see a decline in participation. I know in the western part of the state has seen a significant increase and I am afraid if the ridiculously long season continues we will see a decrease in #s. Shoot I am going to be missing a part of my team because of spring break starts MS Region weekend now. 

So I’m assuming the rule will be null/void for MS and youth now as well? For instance- kids can now compete MS state and place/win, then compete youth the next day if they are not technically Middle school and are an elementary age? Since the high school/middle school thing is acceptable…

It's a joke.  Youth should be able to do both youth and middle school. Or make 12u and 14u at youth state for beginners or kids that didn't Qual through regional.  Also don't understand why held back 3rd grade kids can't do middle school.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BrandonBrooks28 said:

It's a joke.  Youth should be able to do both youth and middle school. Or make 12u and 14u at youth state for beginners or kids that didn't Qual through regional.  Also don't understand why held back 3rd grade kids can't do middle school.  

MS allowed grades are 4th-8th. High school is 7th-12th. HS doesn't allow a held back 6th grader to compete as well. Those are the strict grade requirements. 

So hypothetically a 7th grader could win HS state, go on to win MS state, and if so desired could wrestle at youth state in their respective age bracket and win that too??? LOL IMO if a MS kid even places at HS state they shouldn’t be permitted to wrestle in MS. 

Your top 105 and 113 middle school kids are almost always high school state placers. This year the middle school is just after high school. Also we had our first 7th grader win high school last year. Usually isn’t an issue because middle schools is before high school.  For most of the kids that will place in high school and go back to wrestle middle school it’s so they can try to win a team title. 

1 hour ago, WVhighlander said:

Your top 105 and 113 middle school kids are almost always high school state placers. This year the middle school is just after high school. Also we had our first 7th grader win high school last year. Usually isn’t an issue because middle schools is before high school.  For most of the kids that will place in high school and go back to wrestle middle school it’s so they can try to win a team title. 

That’s untrue that last year was the first time a 7th grader won HS state. It has happened before. 

13 minutes ago, JHamBCalumni said:

That’s untrue that last year was the first time a 7th grader won HS state. It has happened before. 

Not in this state. Mark Hall (Ryle) was runner up to Bradbury (Trinity) which was the closest any 7th grader has got to winning High School state until Jordyn Raney last year. 

Didn’t know you were speaking of just KY. My bad man. Then yes grade wise it was. However, age wise there have been some around the same. Raneys were 14 in “7th grade” which is your average age of an 8th grader……which KY has had previous HS state champs in that grade. Subjective to age I suppose. Regardless there needs to be set rules and set criteria. 

3 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

MS allowed grades are 4th-8th. High school is 7th-12th. HS doesn't allow a held back 6th grader to compete as well. Those are the strict grade requirements. 

Can 15yo 8th graders wrestle middle school?

14 minutes ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Didn’t know you were speaking of just KY. My bad man. Then yes grade wise it was. However, age wise there have been some around the same. Raneys were 14 in “7th grade” which is your average age of an 8th grader……which KY has had previous HS state champs in that grade. Subjective to age I suppose. Regardless there needs to be set rules and set criteria. 

They are 14 now I believe. I think they were 13 when they won.  Still a huge accomplishment to win a high school state title  eapeciallly when you think about some of the kids that came through the state over the years.  

Just now, BrandonBrooks28 said:

Can 15yo 8th graders wrestle middle school?

Unfortunately. George Dennis and James Morris are two examples. 15 now and actually turn 16 this year. It’s a shame in my opinion and nothing to be proud of when you’re wrestling 11, 12, 13 year old kids. But until the powers that be rectify it then it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Unfortunately. George Dennis and James Morris are two examples. 15 now and actually turn 16 this year. It’s a shame in my opinion and nothing to be proud of when you’re wrestling 11, 12, 13 year old kids. But until the powers that be rectify it then it is what it is. 

They won’t be 16 this school year. As long as they are within the guidelines set out by the governing body then what’s the big deal?  

3 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

They won’t be 16 this school year. As long as they are within the guidelines set out by the governing body then what’s the big deal?  

Didn’t say it was a “big deal” did I buddy? LOL But let’s call a spade a spade…..most 8th graders aren’t 15 and nothing to brag about. LOL And literally said it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Didn’t say it was a “big deal” did I buddy? LOL But let’s call a spade a spade…..most 8th graders aren’t 15 and nothing to brag about. LOL And literally said it is what it is. 

Yeah you are still making it sound like it’s a big deal. Winning a state championship might be a big deal to them. I don’t know. If they want to brag about it they can. It’s something to be proud of.  

1 minute ago, WVhighlander said:

Yeah you are still making it sound like it’s a big deal. Winning a state championship might be a big deal to them. I don’t know. If they want to brag about it they can. It’s something to be proud of.  

Something to be proud of when you beat kids way younger than you (MS)……versus something to be proud of when you beat kids your own age (HS)?? Yeaaaaaaaaaa not so much my man. I honestly got no bones I’m calling it like it is. My grandson is 7th grade and 12 and is going to HS semi state. I’m just being honest and I’m sorry if that offends you bro. Call a spade a spade. 

• Downvote 1