BeastMode23

Top picks for Middle School

Just now, JHamBCalumni said:

Something to be proud of when you beat kids way younger than you (MS)……versus something to be proud of when you beat kids your own age (HS)?? Yeaaaaaaaaaa not so much my man. I honestly got no bones I’m calling it like it is. My grandson is 7th grade and 12 and is going to HS semi state. I’m just being honest and I’m sorry if that offends you bro. Call a spade a spade. 

Didn’t say it offended me. Just said it’s something to be proud of. But you seem to be very confrontational. Plus the morris kid also won his region and is going to semi state. I don’t think George can wrestle high school yet. Congrats to your grandson. Is he at 113?  

3 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

Didn’t say it offended me. Just said it’s something to be proud of. But you seem to be very confrontational. Plus the morris kid also won his region and is going to semi state. I don’t think George can wrestle high school yet. Congrats to your grandson. Is he at 113?  

2 minutes ago, JHamBCalumni said:

You’re missing the point. That’s what what I’m saying. So what he won his region? He’s gonna be 16 in a few months. HS or MS. Doesn’t matter. 
No my grandson is 120. 

I am missing the point I guess. He won his high school region against kids his age and older. I thought your point was he’s not competing against kids his age. At this rate I don’t think i will ever get it I guess. Some days I’m just too slow to keep up. Good luck to your grandson. What semi state will he be at. 1 or 2

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

I am missing the point I guess. He won his high school region against kids his age and older. I thought your point was he’s not competing against kids his age. At this rate I don’t think i will ever get it I guess. Some days I’m just too slow to keep up. Good luck to your grandson. What semi state will he be at. 1 or 2

Yes, you are missing it because this is in the “Youth” section of the messsge boards. If you or anyone else wants to brag about what he or any other “old” 8th grader did then take it to the “High School” section. It’s not that hard to comprehend. Really. Sorry you’re slow and can’t grasp that. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Yes, you are missing it because this is in the “Youth” section of the messsge boards. If you or anyone else wants to brag about what he or any other “old” 8th grader did then take it to the “High School” section. It’s not that hard to comprehend. Really. Sorry you’re slow and can’t grasp that. 

Wow you are really trying to be abrasive. I am not bragging about anyone. Just trying to understand your point. But you keep just trying to make it into a conflict. Some times the topics become intertwined with high school. By the way you were bragging about your grandson making it to high school semi state on this topic correct?  Which you should. It’s something to be proud of too. But should you mention that here or on the high school section by your logic. Lol. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Unfortunately. George Dennis and James Morris are two examples. 15 now and actually turn 16 this year. It’s a shame in my opinion and nothing to be proud of when you’re wrestling 11, 12, 13 year old kids. But until the powers that be rectify it then it is what it is. 

Is it a shame they are wrestling HS 17 an 18 year olds??? Some of them 17 year olds will be 18 an some of the 18 year olds will be 19 this year 

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Is it a shame they are wrestling HS 17 an 18 year olds??? Some of them 17 year olds will be 18 an some of the 18 year olds will be 19 this year 

It’s not just James Morris but all three “middle school” wrestlers (Smith, Matney, and Morris) that Johnson central boasts about are going to be 16 this year. However I think it’s a trend that is seen more and more in schools. You can’t really blame the youth tournaments when they go by birth years. If they went by grades, it would be ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cardinalcountry said:

It’s not just James Morris but all three “middle school” wrestlers (Smith, Matney, and Morris) that Johnson central boasts about are going to be 16 this year. However I think it’s a trend that is seen more and more in schools. You can’t really blame the youth tournaments when they go by birth years. If they went by grades, it would be ridiculous. 

Like I’ve told you before he has wrestled up in age an weight since he started I would bet if you really look into it over 75% of the kids are hold backs state wide 

21 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Like I’ve told you before he has wrestled up in age an weight since he started I would bet if you really look into it over 75% of the kids are hold backs state wide 

Find that hard to believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BeastMode23 said:

Maybe in Eastern KY they are…

Nobody is knocking your kid or any of the (Hold Back Kids) but when you guys come on here talking about how proud you are for winning a MS tournament or winning/placing at a HS tournament as an  15 year old 8th grader it tends to aggravate the kids and parents who don’t hold their kids back and are truly wrestling their age or  up a weight class. You said he always wrestles up but last year at MS State he weighed in using the 2lb allowance at 113  that’s not Wrestling up… Wrestling up would be wrestling 121lb

Again not knocking your kid he’s pretty good but the best thing you guys could do is what the western part of the state does and not chime in on these arguments or not post stuff to bring the attention to it.     Good Luck to yours and all the kids this weekend and next 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 44 dad said:

Maybe in Eastern KY they are…

Nobody is knocking your kid or any of the (Hold Back Kids) but when you guys come on here talking about how proud you are for winning a MS tournament or winning/placing at a HS tournament as an  15 year old 8th grader it tends to aggravate the kids and parents who don’t hold their kids back and are truly wrestling their age or  up a weight class. You said he always wrestles up but last year at MS State he weighed in using the 2lb allowance at 113  that’s not Wrestling up… Wrestling up would be wrestling 121lb

Again not knocking your kid he’s pretty good but the best thing you guys could do is what the western part of the state does and not chime in on these arguments or not post stuff to bring the attention to it.     Good Luck to yours and all the kids this weekend and next 

I don’t recall ever getting on here posting anything about my kid beating a Middle school kid or winning a middle school tournament. Your right I should have rephrased it about the weight I’m talking about tournaments not for the school if you look him up on flow you can see he was 86lbs for or season I drove him 16 hours  to Oklahoma  for the  Reno worlds tournament an I believe bumped him up to 100-105 lbs he has never wrestled a off season tournament his weight I’ve taken him to plenty of tournaments like that. 

But I will keep my mouth shut just because it’s not worth the augment it all works out on the mat 

Good luck to you an yours as well 

1 hour ago, BeastMode23 said:

I don’t recall ever getting on here posting anything about my kid beating a Middle school kid or winning a middle school tournament. Your right I should have rephrased it about the weight I’m talking about tournaments not for the school if you look him up on flow you can see he was 86lbs for or season I drove him 16 hours  to Oklahoma  for the  Reno worlds tournament an I believe bumped him up to 100-105 lbs he has never wrestled a off season tournament his weight I’ve taken him to plenty of tournaments like that. 

But I will keep my mouth shut just because it’s not worth the augment it all works out on the mat 

Good luck to you an yours as well 

Soooooo… 1 Tournament…. I’m not a big flo guy but looking him up on track he was at the same tournament my son was at in 2019 (age based)  and we were in the novice bracket he was in the middle school bracket and we are now a freshman…  again not wrestling up

Ur kids are pretty good…and thats great, but when you guys come on here saying there winning HS Brackets at 106/113 as MS kids when they should be freshman  its not that Impressive so just let them stay under the radar and it will all work out. Again Good Luck in the post season I’m sure your kid will do great l’m pulling for him 

• Upvote 1

I love this conversation about hold backs. Let's flip the coin. I've got 3 boys. All of them turned 18 after their last season of sports or will turn 18 after their last season. My oldest turned 18 a week after placing at the state tournament for the 2nd time in a row(March). Turned down multiple athletic scholarships to join the work force. Makes a ton of money for a 19 almost 20 year old now and will be eligible to retire when he is 48. My middle turns 18 during the region baseball tournament his senior year(May). He has been all district, region, area and has multiple scholarship opportunities in baseball. My youngest turns 18 2 weeks before the district baseball tournament his senior year(April). He was also all district, region, area, in 2 sports and good lord willing will have scholarship opportunities as well when he is a senior. Started on time, finished on time and all were successful. I didn't take the time when they were in 3rd grade or 4th or 5th or 6th to hold them back. By the time they were in 7th I couldn't hold them back without them sitting out a year per KDE and KHSAA guidelines. Then covid hits and our school system didn't allow covid holdbacks. So... Hooray for the kids and parents that do it on time and are successful! 

P.S. Could each of them been better off being held back? Possibly. Did I or do I go to games or matches and say well he's only 17 and a senior or 16 and a junior or 15 and a sophomore? No. Does anyone care? Doubtful. 

• Upvote 3

I held my boy back during the covid year because I didn't want him starting a new grade sitting at home.  Probably would have anyway though.  Just weighing the positives vs negatives I just feel like might as well do it. If they are in sports and have dreams of competing at the next level I don't see how being a year older would hurt.  Alot of the younger ones end up with red shirt year anyway. Dept of Education steers kids away from it because it cost the state more money to get them through school.  Has nothing to do with what's best for the kid.  Just my take on it.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BrandonBrooks28 said:

I held my boy back during the covid year because I didn't want him starting a new grade sitting at home.  Probably would have anyway though.  Just weighing the positives vs negatives I just feel like might as well do it. If they are in sports and have dreams of competing at the next level I don't see how being a year older would hurt.  Alot of the younger ones end up with red shirt year anyway. Dept of Education steers kids away from it because it cost the state more money to get them through school.  Has nothing to do with what's best for the kid.  Just my take on it.  

Same here but to be honest your damned if don’t an damned if you do. Never knew they was so many Karen’s but I can say this it’s definitely the best thing I ever done for my son. LETS GO BRANDON!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just putting this out here.

I guess if there is not any stipulations between MS,HS, and youth, I guess a child can win state for HS, then state title for MS the following weekend, then the next day wrestle 14U/12u or whatever their birth year is at state and win a title at every level. Something, again, does not seem right here.

6 minutes ago, BaxterBigD said:

Just putting this out here.

I guess if there is not any stipulations between MS,HS, and youth, I guess a child can win state for HS, then state title for MS the following weekend, then the next day wrestle 14U/12u or whatever their birth year is at state and win a title at every level. Something, again, does not seem right here.

Once a kid places in middle school I don’t think they can wrestle youth state. That’s what I was told anyways 

Try facing 16 year old 8th graders with 13 year old 8th graders for a state football championship! It looks so wrong. Still don't know how we won that one. 

Good luck wrestlers!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BeastMode23 said:

Once a kid places in middle school I don’t think they can wrestle youth state. That’s what I was told anyways 

Based on the rules last year that is accurate. To my knowledge the bylaws haven’t changed. (Not arguing whether you agree with it or not, just starting the facts). Students that chose to wrestle middle school state (regardless of their age/grade) can not wrestle in youth state if they place at Middle School State. Students that compete at Middle School state but do not place can still wrestle youth state. So if your 9 year old 4th grader places at middle school regions, competes at middle school state and comes in 5th place then they are basically forfeiting their chance to compete at youth state. If you qualify at MS regions you can defer your spot for Middle School state and opt into youth state instead if you decide you prefer to wrestle youth. 

12 minutes ago, Sarah White said:

Based on the rules last year that is accurate. To my knowledge the bylaws haven’t changed. (Not arguing whether you agree with it or not, just starting the facts). Students that chose to wrestle middle school state (regardless of their age/grade) can not wrestle in youth state if they place at Middle School State. Students that compete at Middle School state but do not place can still wrestle youth state. So if your 9 year old 4th grader places at middle school regions, competes at middle school state and comes in 5th place then they are basically forfeiting their chance to compete at youth state. If you qualify at MS regions you can defer your spot for Middle School state and opt into youth state instead if you decide you prefer to wrestle youth. 

Yes mam that’s the way I understand it 

LOL…Here’s some perspective on why soon to be 16 year olds wrestling middle school is never OK… This year in a wrestling dual/tournament in Kentucky you can literally and potentially have a kid born in 2006 wrestling a kid born in 2012 or 2013 (4th grader)… Let that sink in from a safety and common sense perspective and please correct me if I’m wrong about the potential age difference. 

To each, their own…I reckon.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

LOL…Here’s some perspective on why soon to be 16 year olds wrestling middle school is never OK… This year in a wrestling dual/tournament in Kentucky you can literally and potentially have a kid born in 2006 wrestling a kid born in 2012 or 2013 (4th grader)… Let that sink in from a safety and common sense perspective and please correct me if I’m wrong about the potential age difference. 

To each, their own…I reckon.

Well I can understand that somewhat but here is the way I see it 4th grade is not a middle schooler so why are they there in the first place should only be 6th 7th 8th just like people letting there middle school kid wrestle HighSchool then get on here an try to convince everyone that held there kid back how wrong they are just my opinion 

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Well I can understand that somewhat but here is the way I see it 4th grade is not a middle schooler so why are they there in the first place should only be 6th 7th 8th just like people letting there middle school kid wrestle HighSchool then get on here an try to convince everyone that held there kid back how wrong they are just my opinion 

I'd say they just allow it so the lower weights will get filled

• Upvote 1