Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2021-22 Rankings - January 12

2 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

His argument seems valid to me. 

53E1FC9E-7855-44E4-B9CA-33087F6EE006.png

Valid in what way?  Rankwrestlers says #11 and I have him #14.  OMG!  That is criminally overlooking the kid.  I'm pretty sure rankwrestlers can be OFF by a spot or so in the end as well.

You are taking it way too personal. You get way to upset. The dad just said he should move up instead of Hyden moving down. That’s it. 

3 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

You are taking it way too personal. You get way to upset. The dad just said he should move up instead of Hyden moving down. That’s it. 

Just trying to educate myself here. Understand what the general public says is a "good" ranking.

How about this?  I'll call you up each moment I'm working on updating these rankings so you can experience the time and effort that goes into it and see how you take it when someone takes a shot at that work.

The guy asked a simple question and you bite his head off. You could have easily said: I’ll keep an eye on him. You can call me anytime. 

13 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

The guy asked a simple question and you bite his head off. You could have easily said: I’ll keep an eye on him. You can call me anytime. 

Like I said, I get tons of questions literally every single day in a tactful manner both public and private.  99% have no issues and are handled just as you suggest.  But this guy immediately demands an explanation then when an innocent bystander shares some facts to suggest why the rankings are what they are, he makes it "just like he faced when he beat all the guys ranked above him".  So yes, I responded to that.  Always have always will.  I appreciate feedback.  For years, before we had track results, that feedback was the heart and soul of these rankings.  But I don't appreciate suggestions that I am against certain teams or people.

I appreciate what you do ranger even though I’ll try to teach my kid everyday it means nothing. Get out of that fan mentality and wrestle whomever steps across the line from you. Rankings are numbers on paper and in the long run only take away a kids focus. Focus on wrestling the best match you can and the rest will take care of itself in the end. 

• Upvote 1

I really appreciate this ranking no matter what our feelings are on the order. I don’t think people can really imagine truthfully ranking thousands of wrestlers across an entire state. I also know it is a huge service that most every kid, parent , and coach love. It adds perspective and excitement to every match. So thank you for this service you provide.

• Upvote 8

31 minutes ago, Bucks50 said:

I really appreciate this ranking no matter what our feelings are on the order. I don’t think people can really imagine truthfully ranking thousands of wrestlers across an entire state. I also know it is a huge service that most every kid, parent , and coach love. It adds perspective and excitement to every match. So thank you for this service you provide.

Thanks.  And that's exactly why I put in the time (that I don't really have).  I know the vast majority of folks enjoy and appreciate the work so I continue to do it.  Especially when I hear the stories of the kids who get super excited to make it for the first time. 

And like Coach Harrod mentioned it doesn't really mean anything on the mat, but I know it motivates a lot of kids and coaches from both the positive and negative side.  

Are you mainly based in the western side of the state? I really have enjoyed my 4 years watching my son wrestle. I wrestled a million years ago in high school. I am interested in maybe refereeing but haven’t jumped in yet. Thanks again

17 minutes ago, Bucks50 said:

Are you mainly based in the western side of the state? I really have enjoyed my 4 years watching my son wrestle. I wrestled a million years ago in high school. I am interested in maybe refereeing but haven’t jumped in yet. Thanks again

He is in NKY

2 hours ago, Bucks50 said:

No but I have some great folks out west who keep me up to speed on what’s happening out there. 

Thanks, Ranger. I found your rankings about 15 years ago when my high school (even though I had long since graduated) got on a roll. I really appreciate the time you take doing this, it is such a service to wrestling fans in KY.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

I keep telling Ranger he has all the Johnson and Union kids to high.  For some reason he will not listen to me.

I think Chris Duke is spot on!

Ranger your doing great but how can you not have Landon evans ranked third still he hasn’t lost to anyone below him yet lol? So shouldn’t he still be in the rankings? Asking for a father that wishes his kid was still wrestling…Just saying 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Ranchy said:

Ranger your doing great but how can you not have Landon evans ranked third still he hasn’t lost to anyone below him yet lol? So shouldn’t he still be in the rankings? Asking for a father that wishes his kid was still wrestling…Just saying 

I’m laughing to keep from crying. Ha ha

On 1/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, thegoldenwrestler said:

I’m not complaining. I just wanna see the kids who win move up in the rankings. For some kids, being ranked high is the highlight for them. It’s okay, the same thing happened to me when i wrestled. Nobody wanted to rank me highly so I beat everyone that Ranger ranked ahead of me but that’s a part of wrestling. You’ll remember his name before it’s all said and done 

“For some kids, being ranked high is the highlight for them” LOL! No it’s for parents living through their kids that care about rankings and Harrison County does have plenty of them. If your so disrespected about your sons ranking then have them win state which is the only ranking that matters! Also start scheduling tougher competition throughout the year instead of wrestling JV matches and then expect your son to be recognized throughout the state! Champions could careless where they are ranked, winning a championship is all that matters 

4 minutes ago, Mercury said:

“For some kids, being ranked high is the highlight for them” LOL! No it’s for parents living through their kids that care about rankings and Harrison County does have plenty of them. If your so disrespected about your sons ranking then have them win state which is the only ranking that matters! Also start scheduling tougher competition throughout the year instead of wrestling JV matches and then expect your son to be recognized throughout the state! Champions could careless where they are ranked, winning a championship is all that matters 

As does every other wrestling program in the USA. 

Seems to me that many are really missing the meaning of these rankings.

1.  It is to get people interested in wrestling

2.  So spectators can see when 2 great kids are going to wrestle and attend that event to watch.

3.  So wrestlers can gauge where they are compared to the rest of the top kids.

It is not to nit pick if someone should be ranked 4th or 8th.  Just know that if you are in that range your are poised for a possible placement at state.  

When I look at the rankings I look at the top 4 or 5 and think these are the kids who have a shot at winning the whole thing and 6-15 have a shot at placing top 8 at state.  These are the kids you should be comparing yourself or your team to, To see if you are competitive enough to compete for a top spot.  

I have always been one of those who hopped GOO Jr. was NOT ranked.  Not only would it give him a sense of accomplishment (Which is not an accomplishment in my eyes), but it put a bullseye on his back.  I also don't wish to see the kids on the team I support ranked for the same reason.  Being the underdog should make you work harder to achieve your goal.