Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2021-22 Rankings - January 12

While there are still a few lineups that make my brain hurt, the vast majority of teams are solidifying and we are getting a much clearer picture as we head into the home stretch of the season.  For the most part I have moved guys to weights they have recently competed at (considering out of state competition with different weight classes) and removed everyone not tested and ready to roll.  This weekend I will remove anyone without match results in track.

A huge development this week is Johnson Central has made a couple weight adjustments and entered the team title race.  I effectively have a 3 way tie between Johnson, Union, and Ryle.  This is shaping up to be a really exciting battle.  Johnson and Ryle will face each other a week early at semi-state, but Union has to deal with the gauntlet that is Region 1 that includes #4 Paducah Tilghman, #5 Caldwell County, and #15 Christian County.  Similarly, I have these 3 teams in a virtual dead heat dual-wise as well.  It will be interesting to see if any team has enough depth to be able to move their lineup around and find an edge in the dual format.

Looking at some interesting matchups this week with the annual Bryce Sheffer duals (Union county, Ryle, and Trinity) and the Warhawk Classic at Great Crossing (Paducah Tilghman, Larue County, Walton Verona, and Woodford County).  These events could include 29 of the 42 kids ranked in the top 3 of each weight.

Rankings_21_22_0112.pdf

15 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

While there are still a few lineups that make my brain hurt, the vast majority of teams are solidifying and we are getting a much clearer picture as we head into the home stretch of the season.  For the most part I have moved guys to weights they have recently competed at (considering out of state competition with different weight classes) and removed everyone not tested and ready to roll.  This weekend I will remove anyone without match results in track.

A huge development this week is Johnson Central has made a couple weight adjustments and entered the team title race.  I effectively have a 3 way tie between Johnson, Union, and Ryle.  This is shaping up to be a really exciting battle.  Johnson and Ryle will face each other a week early at semi-state, but Union has to deal with the gauntlet that is Region 1 that includes #4 Paducah Tilghman, #5 Caldwell County, and #15 Christian County.  Similarly, I have these 3 teams in a virtual dead heat dual-wise as well.  It will be interesting to see if any team has enough depth to be able to move their lineup around and find an edge in the dual format.

Looking at some interesting matchups this week with the annual Bryce Sheffer duals (Union county, Ryle, and Trinity) and the Warhawk Classic at Great Crossing (Paducah Tilghman, Larue County, Walton Verona, and Woodford County).  These events could include 29 of the 42 kids ranked in the top 3 of each weight.

Rankings_21_22_0112.pdf

How does Jacobie White (currently undefeated) from Harrison County who was ranked 16 before these new rankings came out, only move up 2 spots after pinning the #7 kid, Luke Hyden, at 190 but Luke was moved down 7 spots? I’m not saying put him in the top 3 but come on. You’re gonna have to explain this one to me, Ranger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

How does Jacobie White (currently undefeated) from Harrison County who was ranked 16 before these new rankings came out, only move up 2 spots after pinning the #7 kid, Luke Hyden, at 190 but Luke was moved down 7 spots? I’m not saying put him in the top 3 but come on. You’re gonna have to explain this one to me, Ranger.

Has he beat anyone ranked above him?  Or does he have any common opponents?  

15 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

Has he beat anyone ranked above him?  Or does he have any common opponents?  

Because I have way to much time on my hands.  He is 20-0 with 9 of those being FF's.  He beat #22 in his weight class and beat 1 kid at 190.  Looks cut and dry to me.  Great job Ranger.  Keep grinding

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

Because I have way to much time on my hands.  He is 20-0 with 9 of those being FF's.  He beat #22 in his weight class and beat 1 kid at 190.  Looks cut and dry to me.  Great job Ranger.  Keep grinding

I’m not complaining. I just wanna see the kids who win move up in the rankings. For some kids, being ranked high is the highlight for them. It’s okay, the same thing happened to me when i wrestled. Nobody wanted to rank me highly so I beat everyone that Ranger ranked ahead of me but that’s a part of wrestling. You’ll remember his name before it’s all said and done 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

18 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

I’m not complaining. I just wanna see the kids who win move up in the rankings. For some kids, being ranked high is the highlight for them. It’s okay, the same thing happened to me when i wrestled. Nobody wanted to rank me highly so I beat everyone that Ranger ranked ahead of me but that’s a part of wrestling. You’ll remember his name before it’s all said and done 

I mean no disrespect I just put the facts out there.  

21 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

Don't beat around the bush, just say it.  I hate Harrison County.  I know, always have always will.  And pretty sure you didn't beat everyone I ranked ahead of you.

Duke explained it pretty well.  Tell me his wins.  One ranked win at the weight (someone below him).  Maybe if he beat Stephen Little it would carry more weight, but to a great extent that doesn't mean a lot at 190 unless it becomes a common opponent win.  Believe it or not this is a process and not an easy one at that.  Since you have taken it personally, I invite you to get off the couch and do a better job. Nah, it's easier to complain about it.  I'll shoot Jacobie's nice "tear drop" from Saturday right back at you both.

8 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Don't beat around the bush, just say it.  I hate Harrison County.  I know, always have always will.  And pretty sure you didn't beat everyone I ranked ahead of you.

Duke explained it pretty well.  Tell me his wins.  One ranked win at the weight (someone below him).  Maybe if he beat Stephen Little it would carry more weight, but to a great extent that doesn't mean a lot at 190 unless it becomes a common opponent win.  Believe it or not this is a process and not an easy one at that.  Since you have taken it personally, I invite you to get off the couch and do a better job. Nah, it's easier to complain about it.  I'll shoot Jacobie's nice "tear drop" from Saturday right back at you both.

I never took it personally. Like I said, I’m not complaining. I just like to see kids with big wins get ranked highly every now and then. I also never said you hated Harrison County. Hate is a very strong word but hey, you said that, not me. And you’re right, I didn’t beat everyone but the majority and I have other obligations but I promise you, I could do what you do. Could I do it better? Probably not, but I certainly can do exactly what you do on here and I wouldn’t miss a beat

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

37 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

I mean no disrespect I just put the facts out there.  

Never said there was disrespect either. You said what you said and I’m okay with that. That’s the problem in these forums and just in general. People don’t have thick skin and think because someone has a different opinion that’s disrespectful. That’s not what that is. Good luck to Noah the rest of the year!

1 minute ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

I never took it personally. Like I said, I’m not complaining. I just like to see kids with big wins get ranked highly every now and then. I also never said you hated Harrison County. Hate is a very strong word but hey, you said that, not me. And you’re right, I didn’t beat everyone but the majority and I have other obligations but I promise you, I could do what you do. Could I do it better? Probably not, but I certainly can do exactly what you do on here and I wouldn’t miss a beat

Ha Ha.  Speaking of strong words, wouldn't miss a beat.  Take your shot.  And I believe "it's the same thing that happened to me" comment is EXACTLY taking it personally. 

Just for reference I took a gander back to 2018-19.  You were actually ranked #1 early in the season AND LOST.  So not seeing the parallel.

3 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

Never said there was disrespect either. You said what you said and I’m okay with that. That’s the problem in these forums and just in general. People don’t have thick skin and think because someone has a different opinion that’s disrespectful. That’s not what that is. Good luck to Noah the rest of the year!

Having a different opinion is not disrespect.  But the way you present it can be.  I get multiple questions and disagreements every day on this forum.  The vast majority not public because most folks want to show some tact.

2 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Ha Ha.  Speaking of strong words, wouldn't miss a beat.  Take your shot.  And I believe "it's the same thing that happened to me" comment is EXACTLY taking it personally. 

Just for reference I took a gander back to 2018-19.  You were actually ranked #1 early in the season AND LOST.  So not seeing the parallel.

No I actually didn’t take it personally and thinking you have the wrong guy on this one. Like I said, I only wanna see the kids who win against highly ranked wrestlers ranked highly. That’s just how I like to see things

2 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

No I actually didn’t take it personally and thinking you have the wrong guy on this one. Like I said, I only wanna see the kids who win against highly ranked wrestlers ranked highly. That’s just how I like to see things

CB it ain't that simple.  If it were anyone could do it.

8 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

CB it ain't that simple.  If it were anyone could do it.

CB? Ranger, I didn’t even go to Harrison County. So if that clears up whoever you think I am then you’re welcome. I could say the same thing for your kid for that matter too. I’m not sure why Luke dropped as far as he did after just 1 loss. I’m not taking shots at either side here. I’m just saying what I like to see and I can still say making the rankings is hard, no doubt but I do believe I could do it just like you

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

CB? Ranger, I didn’t even go to Harrison County. So if that clears up whoever you think I am then you’re welcome. I could say the same thing for your kid for that matter too. I’m not sure why Luke dropped as far as he did after just 1 loss. I’m not taking shots at either side here. I’m just saying what I like to see and I can still say making the rankings is hard, no doubt but I do believe I could do it just like you

Interesting profile information for someone not who I think you are. Maybe you are using someone else’s account. Who knows. 

Rankings are about more then just the last day on the mat. FYI Luke has some history that has bolstered his ranking despite missing some time. The kid made the blood round at state at 160 as a young 7th grader. At some point recent results override that history and this week was that point for Luke. No biggie. It happens whether it’s my guy or not. 

It seems as though this argument comes up every season, at least 2 to 300 times. Someone is upset over where someone is "ranked". This is a very comprehensive list of 350 wrestlers, who's record is on Trackwrestling. I, for one, do not have the time or energy to do what Ranger does on, basically, a week to week basis. 

Again, this is not an official ranking. If you don't like these rankings, pay for a track membership, and put all the kids in KY in a seeded tournament. Or buy a rankwrestlers.com membership. When the tournaments are seeded, more often than not, they are seeded by Track. But, this gives us as parents and fans a chance to discuss and debate where certain kids should be ranked. I personally feel like my son is one the best 2 in the state at his weight. He hasn't performed like that, so he's ranked lower. If you have a legitimate argument, I've seen Ranger listen and even explain why he put one kid higher than another. Name calling or claiming bias just makes you look petty, and is never a good way to win an argument. 

In my opinion there are 6 or 7 weight classes where there are clear favorites to win it all. The rest are up for grabs. Thank you, Ranger for doing this, even though you have plenty of College wrestling to follow. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

20-0 isn’t always what it seems. It appears he has only actually wrestled 11 matches and at least three of those appear to be against what would be at best considered JV guys. 9 forfeits don’t count towards rankings. I know nothing about the kid, never laid eyes on him but him being ranked where he is with record he has against the competition he’s wrestled seems more than fair.

Lol!!! It just cracks me up how regularly people want to gripe at a man that doesn’t have to do these rankings, but chooses to. Without ever appreciating the value that it adds to KY wrestling as it continues to make huge strides catching  up to the neighboring states as far starting to produce some really high level wrestlers.

If someone is upset at the rank their kid, grandchild, or friend has…..then use the energy you waste complaining on this forum to motivate that kid to get better! Bottom line. Because at the end of the season the only rank that’s going to be remembered is the one they walk away from the state tournament with

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

.  I hate Harrison County.  I know, always have always will.  

Ranger I don't think many will find the irony in this statement. LOL :ph34r: 

Probably only those old farts like me LOL. 

1 minute ago, grappler-of-old said:

Ranger I don't think many will find the irony in this statement. LOL :ph34r: 

Probably only those old farts like me LOL. 

Ha Ha!   Right.  I'm only an alumnus who has been heavily recruited to move back and coach by who knows how many alumni, parents, and administrators.  Not to mention the close family and friends I still have involved and participating with the program.  And I've also spent time training a couple kids in the starting lineup.

59 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Ha Ha!   Right.  I'm only an alumnus who has been heavily recruited to move back and coach by who knows how many alumni, parents, and administrators.  Not to mention the close family and friends I still have involved and participating with the program.  And I've also spent time training a couple kids in the starting lineup.

It's ok we all know you hate Harrison Co ;) 

This is the best forum chatter in quite some time.

• Upvote 2

The great thing about Ranger he doesn’t let his feeling dictate how he handles himself.  With him if it isn’t on paper it didn’t happen.  

one question who wins, scale or bye?