Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2021-22 Rankings - December 22

Rankings were used to help seed this. They really helped out a lot. A Few upsets and a few we’re spot on. Then some wild cards out there like Matney (JC) , Johnson (Caldwell co), and Ball (larue) that have made some big Improvements. 

On a side note I hate to make a complaint but the refs were really trying hard to dictate every match with the stall calls. I’ve never seen anything like it. Not all of them. Really two refs were throwing stall calls around like crazy. And I know refs have a hard job. Hate to even say anything but the inconsistency is too much. 

11 hours ago, Cardinalcountry said:

I’m pretty sure you won’t find a kid in that lineup who’s the age they’re supposed be. I won’t dispute that they’re good but it’s not fair brag about them being in 7th or 8th grade doing good in high school when they actually wrestling kids their own age. I think if they’re doing so well in high school, they should compete there and leave middle school to true middle school age kids. That’s why so many tournaments are turning to 14U to keep these Covid year kids out. 

Why don’t you just cry a little more pal. You can cry all you want but the facts are if they turn 19 after the start of their senior year they’re eligible. That’s the rule and many teams across the state take advantage of that. Maybe if your team spent more time getting better, instead of making excuses why other teams are better than you, you wouldn’t be so bad. Which team do you root for?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, The Deputy said:

Why don’t you just cry a little more pal. You can cry all you want but the facts are if they turn 19 after the start of their senior year they’re eligible. That’s the rule and many teams across the state take advantage of that. Maybe if your team spent more time getting better, instead of making excuses why other teams are better than you, you wouldn’t be so bad. Which team do you root for?

I think he referring more kids that are 15 and half in middle school. The rule that a 15 year old is allowed wrestle in middle school is a stupid rule. There is zero legitimate reason for a kid to be in middle school at 15 and half and wrestling middle school kids. The physical differences between a 13 year old (the most kids are in 8th grade) and 15  year old for most people are stark.  If your middle school team full of high school age kids and wins a championship it’s not much to be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Deputy said:

I assure you pal, I’m not crying, just stated facts. I don’t agree with holding back kids to give them a better advantage in sports and I don’t agree with kids getting ready to drive competing against kids that just hit their teen years. Of course they’re going to win. I’m also not saying these younger kids can’t beat these hold backs, the Rainey’s are proof of that but kids like that are few and far between. The only people that get iffy by facts are the people that are doing the holding back Deputy. So before you attack my team and their hard work, ask yourself why my post bothered YOU so much? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Alf said:

I think he referring more kids that are 15 and half in middle school. The rule that a 15 year old is allowed wrestle in middle school is a stupid rule. There is zero legitimate reason for a kid to be in middle school at 15 and half and wrestling middle school kids. The physical differences between a 13 year old (the most kids are in 8th grade) and 15  year old for most people are stark.  If your middle school team full of high school age kids and wins a championship it’s not much to be proud of.

Exactly! Not anything to brag about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cardinalcountry said:

Exactly! Not anything to brag about. 

Show me the post where anyone was bragging. Your just butt hurt because your team has been irrelevant for a long time and you’re looking for any excuse in the world to make up for that. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, The Deputy said:

Show me the post where anyone was bragging. Your just butt hurt because your team has been irrelevant for a long time and you’re looking for any excuse in the world to make up for that. 

You don’t even know my team man! You think you know because of my screen name? I could just be a baseball fan… Just get over yourself. You’re  probably the ones that’s butthurt with a second time senior that didn’t win state last year and trying again hoping and praying that winning kid moved on. Just like you, I’m free to state my opinions and state facts. This is a forum, that’s what they’re for. You’re the one upset because I’ve hit a little too close to home. And just for the record, the team my sons are on has won state probably more than the team you support and my oldest kid is listed on those rankings and is a TRUE sophomore at 15.  No my 14 year old Freshman isn’t on that list but he will be soon. So there’s no upset here, just someone who states facts and their own opinion you don’t agree with. I’m an adult, when we encounter people who we don’t agree with, we move on bud, let your blood pressure cool and have a good day! 

2 hours ago, Cardinalcountry said:

I assure you pal, I’m not crying, just stated facts. I don’t agree with holding back kids to give them a better advantage in sports and I don’t agree with kids getting ready to drive competing against kids that just hit their teen years. Of course they’re going to win. I’m also not saying these younger kids can’t beat these hold backs, the Rainey’s are proof of that but kids like that are few and far between. The only people that get iffy by facts are the people that are doing the holding back Deputy. So before you attack my team and their hard work, ask yourself why my post bothered YOU so much? 

The Rainey’s are proof of what?  

38 minutes ago, El cucuy said:

That younger kids can beat older ones. He literally said it In the sentence before 

No he didn’t. He said the Rainey’s are proof the younger kids can beat the hold backs. Now the Rainey’s are great kids and great wrestlers. But won’t they be 15 in 8th grade?  Isn’t that what he’s complaining about?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WVhighlander said:

No he didn’t. He said the Rainey’s are proof the younger kids can beat the hold backs. Now the Rainey’s are great kids and great wrestlers. But won’t they be 15 in 8th grade?  Isn’t that what he’s complaining about?

It is but he’s looking for any excuse to justify why his team is no longer relevant. 

3 hours ago, WVhighlander said:

I have never understood why anyone would want to be so old while they are still in school. I think what Spencer Moore did was awesome. Instead of trying to make it easier by wrestling younger kids, he took it as a challenge to wrestle kids older than him.

6 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

I have never understood why anyone would want to be so old while they are still in school. I think what Spencer Moore did was awesome. Instead of trying to make it easier by wrestling younger kids, he took it as a challenge to wrestle kids older than him.

I won’t pretend to be an expert on this or know any kids situation but I do know I wish I would have been held back. Nothing to do with sports. I was 16 and turned 17 my senior year. My daughter is in the same boat. I would have liked to of had my drivers license for a little longer lol.  To each their own. 

Good thing about Ky is middle schoolers can wrestle high school. So most of them are wrestling high school kids anyways. 

12 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

I agree 100%

But at the same time these teams can do whatever they want. Within the rules. I want my kids wrestling the best competition. No matter the outcome. Iron sharpens iron 

• Upvote 1

1) the Raney’s are an exception and comparing anyone in the state to what they’ve accomplished thus far is unintentionally downgrading the rest of the kids who aren’t national contenders.

2) The rules are the rules. If you have an issue with it, then present your case to policy makers. Some schools don’t care about academic eligibility (previous school I was associated with is a prime example). Then, there are others who have draconian policies in order for kids to just be able to practice. I know of a school who’s like that and people petitioned the SBDM council to change policy - which is the appropriate response, and it worked.

3) Calling someone’s team irrelevant may be intended to bash a coach, but I think it’s wise to at least be aware of the collateral damage done to those who are actually competing. This is an open forum, where kids can see what’s being said as well.

4) There are late bloomers in this state who, at the age of 16, are looking for their first pit hair under the best lighting they can find. Maturity/physique and age aren’t always the same. There are some 9 year olds who possess more muscle per body weight than some 8th graders. Most 8th graders (and even 7th graders) who are more mature are wrestling high school and not wasting time with a lack of competition in middle school (e.g. Matney from JC)

5) Wrestling is the only sport that goes based on age and weight. Whining  about one kid being a year older than another doesn’t exactly help you arrive at the goal you’re trying to achieve. 

Then again, I’m probably just an ignorant fan. :-)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

1) the Raney’s are an exception and comparing anyone in the state to what they’ve accomplished thus far is unintentionally downgrading the rest of the kids who aren’t national contenders.

2) The rules are the rules. If you have an issue with it, then present your case to policy makers. Some schools don’t care about academic eligibility (previous school I was associated with is a prime example). Then, there are others who have draconian policies in order for kids to just be able to practice. I know of a school who’s like that and people petitioned the SBDM council to change policy - which is the appropriate response, and it worked.

3) Calling someone’s team irrelevant may be intended to bash a coach, but I think it’s wise to at least be aware of the collateral damage done to those who are actually competing. This is an open forum, where kids can see what’s being said as well.

4) There are late bloomers in this state who, at the age of 16, are looking for their first pit hair under the best lighting they can find. Maturity/physique and age aren’t always the same. There are some 9 year olds who possess more muscle per body weight than some 8th graders. Most 8th graders (and even 7th graders) who are more mature are wrestling high school and not wasting time with a lack of competition in middle school (e.g. Matney from JC)

5) Wrestling is the only sport that goes based on age and weight. Whining  about one kid being a year older than another doesn’t exactly help you arrive at the goal you’re trying to achieve. 

Then again, I’m probably just an ignorant fan. :-)

I’ll agree with most of what you’re saying. However I will add that Matney is wrestling both high school and middle school. I heard it straight from one of his coaches that he’s trying to cut weight for both and just as recently as a few days ago competed in middle school duals. My entire point was that these kids that have been held back and are the age of high school gets, competing in high high school wrestling should leave the middle school tournaments to middle school age kids. I get that they are still technically in middle school but the dad was making a point that his kid in 8th grade was beating some ranked kid, when they kid is 15. It’s not like he’s this phenom that is 12 or 13 beating up on 18 year old kids. He’s actually competing with kids at his age and level. Same with Matney. He’s an excellent wrestler no doubt but he’s also 15 competing with younger kids. He should dominate them. I think it’s just unfair to these kids that are the correct age for their grade. Like I said, my kids are out of middle school but I see these other middle school kids crushed at tournaments and I feel for them. 

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Cardinalcountry said:

I’ll agree with most of what you’re saying. However I will add that Matney is wrestling both high school and middle school. I heard it straight from one of his coaches that he’s trying to cut weight for both and just as recently as a few days ago competed in middle school duals. My entire point was that these kids that have been held back and are the age of high school gets, competing in high high school wrestling should leave the middle school tournaments to middle school age kids. I get that they are still technically in middle school but the dad was making a point that his kid in 8th grade was beating some ranked kid, when they kid is 15. It’s not like he’s this phenom that is 12 or 13 beating up on 18 year old kids. He’s actually competing with kids at his age and level. Same with Matney. He’s an excellent wrestler no doubt but he’s also 15 competing with younger kids. He should dominate them. I think it’s just unfair to these kids that are the correct age for their grade. Like I said, my kids are out of middle school but I see these other middle school kids crushed at tournaments and I feel for them. 

For middle school my kid wrestled up in weight. He walks around 115 to 116 an wrestle up to 130 the rank 3 kid for HS was a senior so he is 17 or 18 same as last season my son was 14 beat a senior at HS state he does not have a lot of years in this great sport as most do he started when he was 12  I’m proud of that sorry I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings or anyone else but I will tell you this after season is out I take him every where I can he always wrestled up in age an weight in off season I never cried they was older or bigger that makes them better to get beat by them they really see what’s out there an see how strong other kids are an they try harder 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cardinalcountry said:

Good grief you’re probably for participation trophies also. You act as if all this is a result of some back room shenanigans but no matter how much you cry and whine about it, it’s all in the rules. Just going by the fact that “you’ve heard it from one of the kids coaches” just proves my point of where you’re from and what team you’re a part of. I guess if you can’t beat Johnson Central on the mat, it’s much easier to get on a message board to discredit them and act as if they’re doing someone illegal. I’ll give you a little heads up though, life is unfair and you get out of it what you put into it. Life will always be unfair to some because of instead of working their butts off to get better, it’s easier for them to whine and cry and make excuses as to why they’re not as successful as others. 

BeastMode has every right to be proud of his kid and shouldn’t have to put up with someone down playing his sons accomplishments just simply because they don’t like the team he competes for because of their success. Jealousy is a terrible thing. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

Just for arguments sake try to consider this scenario from an entire cross section of the situation.

1) most of the time arguments like this are based on the assumption of a kid being what you would consider to old for the grade. Not fact.

2) for every kid that is winning matches in this scenario, there is at least 1 that isn't winning many matches at all even against what you would consider younger competitors.

3) some kids are just more athletic, more dedicated, better at learning and applying, more coordinated, better coached...the list goes on.

4) age doesn't directly translate to winning. Just the same as cutting weight or being ranked higher.

Something to keep in mind when arguing this is no arguments are going to change your team or individual success.

When my oldest son was a freshman high school, we were considering wrestling at college open tournaments starting in his sophomore year. After his freshman year, the NCAA banned competitors that were enrolled in high school or younger from competing in these open events. The reason for this is because a kid that was enrolled in the 8th grade won one of these open tournaments. That is fact. The moral to this story is that all wrestlers are NOT created equal. Some are just better. And age has less to do with it than you are comfortable admitting.

Be careful stabbing into the dark. You may not hit what you think you are stabbing at.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, CoachC said:

3) some kids are just more athletic, more dedicated, better at learning and applying, more coordinated, better coached...the list goes on.

No one is getting weaker, slower, and less coordinated as they age from 13 to 15.  Testosterone is a super drug, and it's flowing like a river at this age.  The same kid will always be better at 15 than he was at 13.  That's a fact.  To admit this isn't taking away from anyone's hard work and dedication.  But to deny it is silly.  

10 hours ago, CoachC said:

4) age doesn't directly translate to winning. Just the same as cutting weight or being ranked higher.

Yes, this is obviously true.  That's why we don't have age limits ands weight classes, because they totally don't matter.  

If you want numbers, count how many 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th graders place at middle school states each year.  

When you buy a coffee at McDonald's, it has a warning that the contents inside are hot.  They do this because some moron burned there mouth and then sued McDonalds, as though they didn't realize the coffee would be hot.  In a sane world, McDonalds wouldn't have to put this on their cups.  That's how I feel about the rule that you have to be 19 to participate in high school sports. In a sane world, this wouldn't have to be stated, it would be obviously understood. But alas, we have to put it in the rule book because teams would be rolling out 21 year olds and people on this forum would be saying "rules are rules, age doesn't matter, you're just a sore loser!"

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:59 PM, Cardinalcountry said:

What is the r"right age" for middle school?  It it what you thing the age should be or the limits set by KHSAA?  

• Downvote 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:35 PM, Cardinalcountry said:

Seems to me you just want to cry and complain.  The facts do not support you in any way.  Facts is KHSAA has August 1 before 19 year of age 15 years who turn 15 after August 1st are at the right age to be in middle school.  Sad that haters just push hate.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Alf said:

That an insane post.  If you win a state champinship it a always something to be proud of no matter the age or level.  To try to say any different seems to imply just pass out awards to evrey child who care which kids is the best on that give day.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1