pin4thewin

Rankings 21-22

If anyone was wanting to do Rankings, Next Saturdays event at Great Crossings would be one to attend for sure. Some hammers will be there. Below is all the schools attending. 

Legacy, Ryle, Johnson Central, Union Co., Carr Academy, Harrison Co., Walton Verona,  Tornado, Campbell Co., Taylor Co., Central Hardin, Shamrock, Oldham Co.c Colts, Holmes, Somerset, Elkhorn, McNabb, Anderson Co., Boyle Co.

In my opinion, Middle school (youth) rankings aren’t that important. I feel it’s more important for the parents (guilty as charged) than the kids. Especially as it pertains to clout. When my kid was ranked as a 4th grader he literally could have cared less. He didn’t brag to his friends at recess about being ranked. He played football at recess like he was playing in the Super Bowl LOL. But me, I told everyone about the ranking. Did it end up mattering in the long run? No. Was there any outcome of middle school rankings that helped performance? No. My then 4th grader went 0-2 at middle school state and 15 minutes after his last match, he was playing bottle flip with kids from a different team.

My point is this…let the kids be kids. Looking back, I see my mistake in putting the slightest attention to middle school rankings. Rankings do not matter until High School.

Just my two Pennies.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:44 AM, BeastMode23 said:

Agree 

Then let’s problem solve folks: How about you two get together and create middle school rankings for Kentucky.

Again, I don’t see any significance to middle school rankings, but to each, their own.

If you want to find some good matches, then start practicing at better wrestling clubs, because the wrestler is only as good as their practice partner……..in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

Then let’s problem solve folks: How about you two get together and create middle school rankings for Kentucky.

Again, I don’t see any significance to middle school rankings, but to each, their own.

If you want to find some good matches, then start practicing at better wrestling clubs, because the wrestler is only as good as their practice partner……..in my opinion.

My son wrestle on the high school team so it’s impossible for me I don’t even get to see ms kids until we go to state. So how about you hunt them down buddy 

Yes sir they do. I understand what he said but that don’t mean everyone feels the same way or is doing there kid the same way. That’s why I never replied to his first comment an if I had better knowledge on the MS kids I would love to help someone but I don’t see many MS kids until state 

13 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Yes sir they do. I understand what he said but that don’t mean everyone feels the same way or is doing there kid the same way. That’s why I never replied to his first comment an if I had better knowledge on the MS kids I would love to help someone but I don’t see many MS kids until state 

I’d put some together, but don’t see any results for Johnson central. The rankings would basically be region 1-4. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

This shows that coaches, kids, and parents do care about rankings. 

97A81AB1-73F0-4AA9-927B-B5B9A4BBDAC3.jpeg

That’s high school. If you go back to my original post, I said that only high school rankings matter. Again, if you want middle school rankings, then grab the bull by the horns and create them. Me personally, I don’t see a purpose in middle school rankings in Kentucky…in my opinion.

1 minute ago, DrBaker said:

I’d put some together, but don’t see any results for Johnson central. The rankings would basically be region 1-4. 

I understand yeah I’m not sure really we have not be with the middle school much this season 

18 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Here’s another suggestion for the pro-rankers: Contact the governing body of Kentucky Middle School wrestling and see if their officers are willing to put in the effort to make rankings. After all, the problem appears to be lack of “finding information” on performances. Right? Well, our governing body would be a place to start. 

6 minutes ago, Coach Livingston said:

Here’s another suggestion for the pro-rankers: Contact the governing body of Kentucky Middle School wrestling and see if their officers are willing to put in the effort to make rankings. After all, the problem appears to be lack of “finding information” on performances. Right? Well, our governing body would be a place to start. 

Thanks for the info I just went from being a father to asking about rankings to being a pro ranker who knows maybe I can go for pro coach next season again thanks for the info 

It's really hard to post rankings without getting any results. In high school, you can look at the season and see all the results from every single tournament or dual meet.

The lack of middle school events and therefore information available on Trackwrestling make doing rankings at this level at best, extremely difficult. You could maybe get some info off the kids that are wrestling a lot at the high school level, but that would be far from comprehensive. In years past there were always nice sized tournaments throughout the state every weekend that featured big matchups. Those events just aren't happening now. I think MS rankings are fun, but I just don't see how anyone could put together anything this year.

9 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Thanks for the info I just went from being a father to asking about rankings to being a pro ranker who knows maybe I can go for pro coach next season again thanks for the info 

You’re welcome! I’m all about efficiency & problem solving. For example: It was easier to write “pro-ranker” than it was to write “person(s) who are in favor of a level of measurement that shows which wrestler is better than the other wrestler based on their previous wins and losses.”…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

The lack of middle school events and therefore information available on Trackwrestling make doing rankings at this level at best, extremely difficult. You could maybe get some info off the kids that are wrestling a lot at the high school level, but that would be far from comprehensive. In years past there were always nice sized tournaments throughout the state every weekend that featured big matchups. Those events just aren't happening now. I think MS rankings are fun, but I just don't see how anyone could put together anything this year.

Agreed. Fun for sure, especially bragging on our kids to coworkers, family, etc. Maybe at the next Kentucky Folkstyle Wrestling Committee meeting someone could make a motion that there be a mandatory database where all youth wrestling results our housed? Just thinking out loud here…

Battle of the Brave and Bluegrass Nationals are the next couple weeks - both on track. 

Here's a list of tournaments you can currently find on track:

3 River Rumble

Ryle Raider Rumble

Henderson County

Harrison County Middle School tournament

Battle of Georgetown Duals

Boyle County MS tournament 

While the data points are smaller compared to pre-COVID, there's enough to have an idea what kids are having good years.  Maybe that's how the "rankings" should be.  Rank the top 6 kids alphabetically. I just don't care enough to do all that leg work.