Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com PreSeason 2021-22 Rankings - October 15

The 2021-22 season is here. Hopefully we are able to get back to a normal season this year with safe and healthy competition. 

There are a lot of unknowns coming into this season. We have some feedback on kids using the free year, but I’m sure there are some I missed. There has been a decent amount of off season events, but with the weight class changes there are even more questions than usual. As always, feedback is appreciated. 

Preseason notes:

- Ryle is looking really tough to beat going into the season

- Johnson Central has a very good lineup and with the tragic loss of legendary Coach Matney they will have some extra motivation 

- we could add another 4-timer to the list this year if Cole Thomas can run the gauntlet one more time

Rankings_21_22_1015.pdf

Looks like you put in a lot of work as always so thanks. These teams are now region 1

Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic, Daviess County, Apollo & Whitesville Trinity and Ohio Co was moved to Region 2 just so you have that info. Again thanks for your timeless efforts for all these kids to see themselves getting some credit for the work done.

33 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Sleeping on Jayden Raney like Jordyn last year. 

These are rankings, not projections.  Is Jayden going to win 106? Almost certainly, but he has to have some high schools results to justify a higher ranking first. I am not speaking for Ranger, but I imagine this is his reasoning. It is the same with freshman in college that we all know will finish way higher than where they start out.

1 hour ago, panthers said:

Looks like you put in a lot of work as always so thanks. These teams are now region 1

Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic, Daviess County, Apollo & Whitesville Trinity and Ohio Co was moved to Region 2 just so you have that info. Again thanks for your timeless efforts for all these kids to see themselves getting some credit for the work done.

Good catch. I forgot to check the new region alignment in my master file. Thanks for the notification. 

Great job and thank you for your work. I will be surprised if any of the top 6 106 are back at 106.  They are all pretty big right now. Also do you think Thornton will go 132. I believe he is signed up at 126 for super 32. Just an FYI both Ramey’s are ranked in the top 10 in the nation for middle school. Jayden just beat the number 4 kid in the country and super 32 champ. And I’m not debating or disagreeing with the rankings. I’m just creating some discussion as I’m bored waiting on the season to start and most places up here wrapping up their off season practices 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WVhighlander said:

Great job and thank you for your work. I will be surprised if any of the top 6 106 are back at 106.  They are all pretty big right now. Also do you think Thornton will go 132. I believe he is signed up at 126 for super 32. Just an FYI both Ramey’s are ranked in the top 10 in the nation for middle school. Jayden just beat the number 4 kid in the country and super 32 champ. And I’m not debating or disagreeing with the rankings. I’m just creating some discussion as I’m bored waiting on the season to start and most places up here wrapping up their off season practices 

Agree on the little guys. But I try to avoid making guesses on growth. The vast majority of kids who I have moved to a new weight are based on results I have seen recently. Obviously once we start to see some body fat tests go in over the next 6-8 weeks a LOT will change. 

As for Thornton I see him pretty regularly and feel pretty solid about that weight projection. A lot of kids cut a little more weight for Super32 than they want to for an entire season. 

Yes the Raney boys are very good. But as has been pointed out I like to sleep on them. Probably quite uncomfortable for them as I am a bit heavier than I used to be, but they likely don’t care. The problem with ranking Jayden is I just don’t have results slot him as high as a lot of people expect him to finish. 

As a charter member of the Raney fan club, both have proven themselves to be number 1. They have been super busy at the National level, not only against middle school, but also high school kids. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

You sleep?  Wow, when? 

Well soccer season did finish up for us. So there is that. But now I do have 2 college seasons to attempt to follow.

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

As a charter member of the Raney fan club, both have proven themselves to be number 1. They have been super busy at the National level, not only against middle school, but also high school kids. 

Jordyn obviously. But what results PROVE Jayden should be #1?  I just did some extra digging into older history and yes he should probably be at least a spot higher, but please show me the proof for number 1. 

For the record, folks are welcome to go back and check how previous studs with limited HS matches were ranked (Mark Hall, David Carr, Lawsons, etc). Yes they were studs and quickly moved up the rankings, but I never just assume they are better than kids who have proved HS results. 

43 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

For the record, folks are welcome to go back and check how previous studs with limited HS matches were ranked (Mark Hall, David Carr, Lawsons, etc). Yes they were studs and quickly moved up the rankings, but I never just assume they are better than kids who have proved HS results. 

To be honest, I don’t have any evidence to back my statement up. But if I had to bet my horse farm on Jayden being the top 106lb wrestler,  I wouldn’t blink an eye. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Jordyn obviously. But what results PROVE Jayden should be #1?  I just did some extra digging into older history and yes he should probably be at least a spot higher, but please show me the proof for number 1. 

He has pinned Morris and McDonald. Beaten Vega in state finals twice. He wrestles live matches with his brother and keeps it within a point. He’s every bit as good as his brother, just 5 lbs smaller. He’s beaten Bruno Cassioppi. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DrBaker said:

He has pinned Morris and McDonald. Beaten Vega in state finals twice. He wrestles live matches with his brother and keeps it within a point. He’s every bit as good as his brother, just 5 lbs smaller. He’s beaten Bruno Cassioppi. 

Are you really using practice room goes as your argument? Come on man. That’s nonsense. And Bruno Cassioppi is a nice name, but virtually useless in translating to Ky HS rankings. 

Yes, the Vega win from 2020 is valid even though it was MS, but I haven’t seen any results with Morris or McDonald. 

3 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

To be honest, I don’t have any evidence to back my statement up. But if I had to bet my horse farm on Jayden being the top 106lb wrestler,  I wouldn’t blink an eye. 

That’s fine. I wouldn’t bet against him unless my kid was in there. But come on. Think outside union county. The “pros” that do this stuff do exactly the same thing. Even though they knew Gable Stevenson was a monster he started off ranked low or Unranked by some outlets. There is a process based on real results. 

3 hours ago, DrBaker said:

He may be the stud you think he is but::::

Wrestling your brother is no comparison.  He knows him like the back of his hand.  Much like an old guy like me wrestling my son.  He will never beat me because I know what he is going to do before he does, even now that he is in his 20's. 

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Are you really using practice room goes as your argument? Come on man. That’s nonsense. And Bruno Cassioppi is a nice name, but virtually useless in translating to Ky HS rankings. 

Yes, the Vega win from 2020 is valid even though it was MS, but I haven’t seen any results with Morris or McDonald. 

My go to was a pin over Morris. It was at state duals. Listed as Jordyn. 
Everyone knows that National ms wins translate into high school wins. 
It’s no big deal. He’s got a season to prove it. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DrBaker said:

My go to was a pin over Morris. It was at state duals. Listed as Jordyn. 
Everyone knows that National ms wins translate into high school wins. 
It’s no big deal. He’s got a season to prove it. 

Ok. So me not reading minds and changing names probably shouldn’t be put in the sleeping on him category. And on top of the hours of time I dig into results I refuse to dissect incorrect names in ms events. 

Yes elite MS wins will translate into HS success, but that has little to do with ranking in relation to a Ky HS wrestler. A sophomore doesn’t have the option to get that win so how do you compare them?  It’s madness. 

He absolutely does have the season to prove it. Plus it is very likely half (or more) of the kids ranked above him won’t even be at 106 so it will become a moot point by mid November.