JimmyCrackedCorn

Bellarmine Hires Assistant

They hired an amazing Club All American.  

Brendan Murphy

No D1 Experience

No D2 experience

A club level wrestler now coaching at a D1 program

Meanwhile other programs are hiring assistants with D1 experience.

A majority of the athletes are not happy.  Poor coaching, Poor training, Poor weightlifting, Poor conditioning.  

I would expect they will be about as good as a hill of beans

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

Shuck’s reputation is solid. Probably trust him until he gives you empirical evidence to not trust him. Bellarmine could be in a lot worse hands.

I am just relaying from my neighbor's son.  Talked to him last night.  Shuck has done nothing at the D1 level.  Didn't start a match for Iowa.  Not even on senior night.  His assistant he hired wrestled club in college.  What makes you think either one of them have the ability to coach at a d1 level?  If you cant even start a match in college then you dont have a skill set to teach.  That's a lot of the teams mindset

2 hours ago, GooglyMoogly said:

You are a clown

MAMA always said when you have to call names you have no argument.  

You see my neighbors kid tells me stuff.  Do you have someone inside telling you something different?  That's how an adult discussion is had.  If not I would assume you are the clown, or maybe you like to give well never mind I have an argument so I don't need to name call or deflect from the conversation

22 hours ago, JimmyCrackedCorn said:

I am just relaying from my neighbor's son.  Talked to him last night.  Shuck has done nothing at the D1 level.  Didn't start a match for Iowa.  Not even on senior night.  His assistant he hired wrestled club in college.  What makes you think either one of them have the ability to coach at a d1 level?  If you cant even start a match in college then you dont have a skill set to teach.  That's a lot of the teams mindset

Bellarmine has struggled in the past, but none of their past struggles have been at the hands of Shuck. I’d at least give the guy a chance. If you think Iowa would start him just because it’s senior night, then I think the proverbial “you” don’t understand the standards and principles of Iowa wrestling. Shuck has had multiple seasons with winning dual records - something I’m sure Bellarmine would like 1 of. 

• Upvote 1

Been wanting to do some research on Coach Murphy’s wreslting career. So here is what I found after a quick google search.

He wrestled at SIUE when they were moving or transitioning to D1 like Bellarmine is doing now.

2009-10 at 133lbs 30-18 with 12 falls. They had duals against Iowa, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, South Dakota st, Northwestern, Northern Illinois and a few open tournaments which I’m sure he ran into D1 competition.

2010-2011 redshirt 

2011-2012 133lbs 25-4 falls 8 majors 2. Duals against Indiana, Northern Illinois, Campbell, Northwestern, Purdue, Gardner Webb, South Dakota St, Buffalo, and a few open tournaments which I’m sure he ran into D1 competition.

2012-13 transferred to McKendree D2 school

2013-14 was a D2 AA 133lbs

Yes he did win a few NCWA or if you would like to say club National championship also.

He has been the assistant coach at McKendree a D2 school since 2014 until he took the job at Bellarmine.

Just in case anyone wanted a little more info on his wreslting career.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, JimmyCrackedCorn said:

They hired an amazing Club All American.  

Brendan Murphy

No D1 Experience

No D2 experience

A club level wrestler now coaching at a D1 program

Meanwhile other programs are hiring assistants with D1 experience.

A majority of the athletes are not happy.  Poor coaching, Poor training, Poor weightlifting, Poor conditioning.  

I would expect they will be about as good as a hill of beans

I am going to try to be as respectful as possible here. So you make this post in early October, condemning a coach before the season even starts and you didn't even bother to fact check yourself on the assistant coaches credentials? You seem to be passionate about the sport and care for your "neighbors" kid, so I'll just say this: Kentucky now has a d1 wrestling program. I am not a Kentucky wrestling historian but I'm guessing this is for the first time since 1983 when UK dropped their program. Instead of spreading negative rumors about the program, why not support it and wish the best for all involved? Maybe let them finish out this transitional period and let them actually wrestle in a post season before you start passing judgement? If you have some concerns about the program, I suggest emailing coach Shuck personally rather than spreading rumors on a forum. Best of luck to your neighbors son this season.

• Upvote 3

On 10/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, JimmyCrackedCorn said:

MAMA always said when you have to call names you have no argument.  

You see my neighbors kid tells me stuff.  Do you have someone inside telling you something different?  That's how an adult discussion is had.  If not I would assume you are the clown, or maybe you like to give well never mind I have an argument so I don't need to name call or deflect from the conversation

I do have someone inside telling me the exact opposite. Kids love Coach Shuck and the changes quickly taking place in the program. 

As Gentlebeard says just relax and give the guy a chance. Take a few days and just hang out on the beach and let the kids and Shuck do their thing. Maybe even invite your neighbor along. 

I have to agree with Ranger123 on this.  What I have seen and am being told is that mostly all of the guys really like Coach Shuck and Coach Murphy.....but probably more importantly, the team respects them!!  I would wonder if some of the one's that may be struggling with them may be struggling more with the fact that he is working them much harder than before, and it sounds to me that you will definitely have to earn your way into the lineup with him.  And, for what it is worth, my information comes directly from a number of folks in the room.

As far as him not wrestling a match while at Iowa, I'm not sure how this will affect his qualities as a Coach.  Obviously, he was an elite wrestler, or he would have never made it on to the squad at Iowa....even if he never wrestled a match.  I would think he chose this environment, when he could have gone to lesser programs and been in the lineup.  That shows that he sets high goals for himself!  His experience has taught him what it takes to be successful at the highest of levels.  Looking at his coaching record so far, it has been impressive.  Very successful at the smaller schools, and highly regarded as an assistant at Army.  Based on what I've read, he is a top 25 recruiter as well.

Regarding Coach Murphy, I believe Rolmc cleared that up.  He was a very successful wrestler at the college level, and has had a great impact in the room so far.

I, for one, am very excited about the direction Bellarmine wrestling is heading.  When moving to D1, there is a transition time for a reason.  It takes time to build a top caliber program, and I think fans should look for those incremental improvements year to year as a great sign of progress.  From what I hear, there is great energy in the room this year, a lot of guys competing, many guys growing up, and we may not win a bunch of meets this year, but guys are going to fight, they are going to compete, and they are going to get a lot better.  When this happens, recruiting improves, facilities improve, and expectations improve.....all part of the process.

Just hope everyone gets out and supports the Knights this year and beyond.  D1 wresting in Ky is long overdue, and what a better place to start than Bellarmine.  Good Luck to Coach Shuck, Coach Murphy and all the Boys this year.  Gonna be a fun year!!  Go Knights!!!

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, JimmyCrackedCorn said:

Just out of Curiosity where did you wrestle in college ? I know for a fact there are a whole lot of kids that would love to be in Iowa’s wrestling room.       I myself have been in a lot of practice rooms over the years, and learned a lot of stuff including from Rangers room… YOU think Shuck didn’t learn anything being in a room like Iowa has ? My friend l think you need to relax, give these guys a chance and maybe not listen to The neighborhood kid quite so much. They are a Young D1 Program and I for one would be happy as could be if my son made it to that level. 
Best of luck this year Bellarmine !!  
GO KNIGHTS !!

On 10/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, JimmyCrackedCorn said:

My guess is that these statements were made long before they entered the wrestling room.  This kind of thinking would be natural for someone who has not experienced what the coach is capable of.  This statement was probably nothing more than recliner chair coaching.  I would ask this young fellow again what his opinion is of his coach, after he has had some time to experience the coaches technique and coaching ability.  Everyone has a pre-judgment of someone before they actually find out what they can do. 

Just my 2 cents on the subject.