Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Semi state

47 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

As for the state tournament. 

If you want a parade of champions and a stand alone finals you can't finish it in one day. 

Heck even back in the stone age when I wrestled a 16 man bracket at Atherton High School it was 2 days. 

Yes. Make the finals an event. Run a couple rounds on Friday. Have faceoffs and one finals mat under the lights. Not so needed at regionals and semi. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, grappler-of-old said:

As for the state tournament. 

If you want a parade of champions and a stand alone finals you can't finish it in one day. 

Heck even back in the stone age when I wrestled a 16 man bracket at Atherton High School it was 2 days

Middle school does a 20 man bracket with a parade of champions in one day.  

4 hours ago, wrestleref said:

I seem to recall a post in the wrestling section of the KHSAA website saying they were accepting applications for hosts now. So I’m guessing not yet. 

Correct. They emailed all head coaches asking for them to apply if they would like to host.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, halfhalfhalf said:

Is there any rumors circulating on who's hosting semi-state??? This is kinda ridiculous we do not have anything and we are a month from it. 

Union is hosting the western Semi-State. Just saw it posted. Great Crossing is hosting the other semi state. Next years hosts are Louisville Central and Ryle. 

16 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

. Next years hosts are Louisville Central and Ryle. 

This is depressing.  Next year another semi-state. Looks like we are never getting back to normal, and Ky wrestling will take a step backwards in hosting the state tournament at a high school.  1995 we finally moved out of Atherton High school gym, was hoping for a 2 year oddity because of COVID.   Seems like its not an oddity but an excuse to return our state tournament to a high school venue.  For the 1st time in many years I am embarrassed of Ky wrestling. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

This is depressing.  Next year another semi-state. Looks like we are never getting back to normal, and Ky wrestling will take a step backwards in hosting the state tournament at a high school.  1995 we finally moved out of Atherton High school gym, was hoping for a 2 year oddity because of COVID.   Seems like its not an oddity but an excuse to return our state tournament to a high school venue.  For the 1st time in many years I am embarrassed of Ky wrestling. 

Wrestling is just a money grab for KHSAA. Get as much money as possible with the least amount of work possible. 

My son’s buddy that wrestles for Ryle said they hosted a dual in the auditorium this week.  Stage, lights, announcers, cool atmosphere.  Sad that is the closest grand pageantry that those kids will get is at a night dual vs a state tournament championship.  

5 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

96 was the first year in Frankfort, and that venue was awesome.  But we are in a bit of a tight spot right now.  We outgrew the Frankfort Civic Center but aren't really big enough for most centralized venues in Kentucky.    Let's be honest, the Horse Park was an awful venue.  I disliked it as a coach and a spectator.  We are stuck in a high school right now due to the size of our sport and the fact that the KHSAA is broke.  I don't think that it has to be a long-term situation, even though the KHSAA makes it seem that way.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the KHSAA, but I understand the position that they are in.  Cancelling the Sweet-Sixteen last year really did a number on their finances.  Maybe, during this time, we can grow enough to justify using some of the arenas we are too small to fill right now.

35 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

Awesome atmosphere last night. 

68C4EED7-253B-471C-9E1B-F729FE766D92.jpeg

That is awesome. My nephews are wrestling tonight against Union for their senior night and it will most likely be in the tiny middle school gymnasium where wrestling gets allocated to. Wrestling plays third fiddle to the big money makers, from the KHSAA all the way down to most (not all) district athletic departments.