Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Semi state

I believe this would help grow the sport in numbers but no matter what any of us think or how much data we have bottom line is it is never going to happen. KHSAA will always refuse this ideal due to the fact that regardless of numbers if they did let it split they would have opened up a can of worms. What I mean is outside of football the KHSAA doesn't do any division in any sports. All of the Big School/Small School or Class single A titles are all done by the Coaches Association of the sport in question. If Khsaa decided to do that for wrestling every sport in the state would want the same done for their sport and then the next sport and so on from there. If KHSAA  just keep it NO  then they don't have to hear it from any other sport. That's why we will stay one class regardless of numbers, because if numbers is all it took there would be more classes in basketball and baseball which is where the money would be. Just my thoughts 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

I glanced at WY just out of curiosity.  They accomplish this by allowing 2 participant per school per weight class. 

This in my opinion is one of the biggest growth inhibiters to KY HS wrestling.  Add districts and 2 per team weight classes. 

44 minutes ago, panthers said:

I believe this would help grow the sport in numbers but no matter what any of us think or how much data we have bottom line is it is never going to happen. KHSAA will always refuse this ideal due to the fact that regardless of numbers if they did let it split they would have opened up a can of worms. What I mean is outside of football the KHSAA doesn't do any division in any sports. All of the Big School/Small School or Class single A titles are all done by the Coaches Association of the sport in question. If Khsaa decided to do that for wrestling every sport in the state would want the same done for their sport and then the next sport and so on from there. If KHSAA  just keep it NO  then they don't have to hear it from any other sport. That's why we will stay one class regardless of numbers, because if numbers is all it took there would be more classes in basketball and baseball which is where the money would be. Just my thoughts 

The flip of this argument would be that they do have classes in Cross country, Track, all individual sports, so why not wrestling. 

5 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

This in my opinion is one of the biggest growth inhibiters to KY HS wrestling.  Add districts and 2 per team weight classes. 

If you did this without adding classes it would kill the smaller teams, not necessarily small schools, but they are often the smaller teams. 

6 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

The flip of this argument would be that they do have classes in Cross country, Track, all individual sports, so why not wrestling. 

Been that way in those sports forever. If you split wrestling now, it opens up splits to all sports. Thats the argument i was told. I call it poor management.  If wrestling needs it, do it. Then if others want it, say no. You just have to have reasons why to split wrestling and not others. 

One complaint I have about semi-state and the final round being scored as one tournament is that a wrestler who loses a match in the semi-state is still eligible to win the state championship. If both of these weekends are a part of the "state tournament" then how can a wrestler who loses a match be the champion? For example, a wrestler who loses in the finals in the semi-state can still win it all the next weekend. For this reason, I think the scoring needs to be split up.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:22 PM, plantmanky1 said:

So would both of the wrestlers be able to score team points or just one?

29 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

So would both of the wrestlers be able to score team points or just one?

Just one, Team picks their scored.  Same as what Middle School does. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BroOfCoach said:

One complaint I have about semi-state and the final round being scored as one tournament is that a wrestler who loses a match in the semi-state is still eligible to win the state championship. If both of these weekends are a part of the "state tournament" then how can a wrestler who loses a match be the champion? For example, a wrestler who loses in the finals in the semi-state can still win it all the next weekend. For this reason, I think the scoring needs to be split up.

Although this is definitely true and I agree with you, I still am very against last year's semi-state. I didn't like that it was a single-elimination tournament. It felt like if you lost before the finals, what did you have to wrestle for.

39 minutes ago, wrestling78 said:

Although this is definitely true and I agree with you, I still am very against last year's semi-state. I didn't like that it was a single-elimination tournament. It felt like if you lost before the finals, what did you have to wrestle for.

I thought last year's post season was terrible. They should have at least placed back to 4th and done a 16 man tournament. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, coachteater said:

Starting this season, 2021-22 , we will have 2 semi states. 

Regions 1-4

Region 5-8

Top 4 from region make 16 man semi state.

Top 8 from semi state form 16 man state final

Where will the state finals be held?

1 hour ago, BroOfCoach said:

I thought last year's post season was terrible. They should have at least placed back to 4th and done a 16 man tournament. 

good thing it isn't like last yr. :)

Last year was a bump in the road in a year that was unusual. 

The biggest complaint I have now is that we are back holding the state wrestling tournament at a high school.  Not only a high school but a school that is not a wrestling school they are starting a team this year.  This is reminiscent of the old days of Atherton high school who at times barely had a wrestling team.  

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Last year was a bump in the road in a year that was unusual. 

The biggest complaint I have now is that we are back holding the state wrestling tournament at a high school.  Not only a high school but a school that is not a wrestling school they are starting a team this year.  This is reminiscent of the old days of Atherton high school who at times barely had a wrestling team.  

I will say Julian told me there is a spot being built close to Lexington they are looking at, but will be couple years

On 10/1/2021 at 3:22 PM, plantmanky1 said:

I like it. Although I may not go totally 2 per weight. Maybe more of the NAIA idea of 12 total or a mix of the two. Maybe a team can enter up to X second wrestlers. I believe this would help with weight cutting as well. If I can be a backup to the state champ and wrestle a natural weight and still compete in the post season that may sound pretty good to some kids. 

10 hours ago, coachteater said:

Clark Co

That gym may get a bit tight with a 16 man state bracket. We were pretty packed this year with covid “limitations” and an 8 man bracket. 

10 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

That gym may get a bit tight with a 16 man state bracket. We were pretty packed this year with covid “limitations” and an 8 man bracket. 

I’m sure they have an auxiliary gym (last year’s warm up area) they’ll roll some bleachers in. I’m curious during which class period they’ll start the state tournament. The possibilities are exciting.

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

I’m sure they have an auxiliary gym (last year’s warm up area) they’ll roll some bleachers in. I’m curious during which class period they’ll start the state tournament. The possibilities are exciting.

I was under the impression that the tournament would be completed in one day (Saturday) with the new rule that you can wrestling 6 matches a day in the post season. 

3 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I was under the impression that the tournament would be completed in one day (Saturday) with the new rule that you can wrestling 6 matches a day in the post season. 

That would make sense....

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Nope, both semi state and state will be 2 day events.