Sign in to follow this  
Tbagnky

Semi State coming back for the foreseeable future?

1 hour ago, Chris Duke said:

No way.  This is terrible if true.

I took it from the Kentucky Wrestling Report page on Facebook. I thought, maybe, one of the coaches on here would confirm or deny this, so we can plan accordingly for another 5 sub-par post-seasons for our sport.

58 minutes ago, Tbagnky said:

I took it from the Kentucky Wrestling Report page on Facebook. I thought, maybe, one of the coaches on here would confirm or deny this, so we can plan accordingly for another 5 sub-par post-seasons for our sport.

It was not discussed during the BOC meeting. The schedule was posted with no heads up or anything. It is Unacceptable that we did not get realignment nor any guidance on what the plan is.

From an event hosting standpoint, I can understand why they want to continue with semi state.  It allows for way more venue hosting options, (which was a huge issue with the single state format, one that many just brush aside as "find another venue" and its just not that easy, trust me.)  I'm sure this is also a financial decision as well, as a semi-state format allows for some of the schools to host (like GRC last year) which saves huge $$$ from renting the horse park as example. 

From a wrestling stand point, I agree that the single state format was great, and if venue wasn't an issue, there would be no reason to change the format.  However, if the format is to be changed, then some of the front end of the tournament needs changed.  Go to 16 districts - 8 region format in which regions are on a rotation plan as to what four pair up in the semi state each year, allow 2 kids per weight class from a team in districts, and some other things. 

From a communication standpoint with the KHSAA and BOC.  Wrestling is not the only sport that has the issues they are having, its most all the sports.  Just from past experience, all these surveys, polls and stuff that's being done are great, but they go upon deaf ears and frankly, it always seems that the KHSAA and BOC do the exact opposite of what those survey and poll data shows.  Whether that's intentfull or not is up for your guys perception.  What I can say is, because this is school based, and KDE runs the show, wrestling like the other sports has to just do what they are told for that moment as far as school season goes.  However wrestling has the ability to also do what they want to do, they have a great organization that helps back them as soon as the school season is over, and that needs to be used more.  Run your own separate state tournament, as soon as the school season is over, format it the way you want, find your venues and run a great event.  Show the KHSAA and BOC the way you want it run, and that you as group can do it.  

• Like 2

Perhaps the most difficult thing for some to stomach is the notion that wrestlers that would otherwise be on the podium will be replaced by lesser wrestlers - skill wise. As a purist, I’d like to see the best vs the best and figure out who comes out on top at that particular moment in time. I’m good with semi-state (I think…), but to help mitigate the issue of lesser skilled wrestlers from replacing higher skilled on the podium, I’d like to see the top 4 from semi state go to state - making it a 16 man bracket. I’m not in favor of having a cheap state tournament or participation trophies once you get there. Finishing a season 0-4, in ANY sport, should never get you a state placement. 

Had a very positive meeting with khsaa Commissioner Tackett this morning. I will go over everything in coaches association zoom meeting tomorrow night at 7, then post meeting mins on Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Scotty Teater

On 7/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, coachteater said:

Had a very positive meeting with khsaa Commissioner Tackett this morning. I will go over everything in coaches association zoom meeting tomorrow night at 7, then post meeting mins on Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Scotty Teater

thanks!