Sign in to follow this  
StrubN

New Weight Classes

Given the options. Why would anyone go less than 14? Talking boys.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/April/20/NFHS-release-new-weight-classes-for-girls-and-boys-with-options

Depends on your point of view.

A large school or a large program the 14 weight classes would be optimal because of the number of wrestlers in the program.  More weight classes more opportunity.

A small school or developing program having less than 14 weight classes allows them the possibility to fill a full team, and compete with the larger programs, this will help stimulate the growth of smaller schools/programs. 

The biggest problem is going to a dual and seeing 4-5 forfeits.  

It seems odd for many to reduce the number of varsity players on a team.  However only about 35 years ago there were only 12 weight classes. 

From 1964-1987 there were 12 wt. classes

from 1988-1995 there were 13 wt. classes. 

For states divided by school size it may be a good idea to have large schools 14 and small schools have 12 for post season. 

I suppose my main issue is with how weight classes are distributed. I've seen forfeit studies and have a concern with how overall participation may be impacted because of which weight classes are being changed. Looks like all 3 options have 182 and 195 being merged. It seems that opportunities are being lost there, especially for the upperclassmen.

Ok. I just reread the article. Looks like the 14 weight option is going to add another middle weight so things should even out there.

I say stay with 14 weight classes. A dual with 14 really competitive matches isn't that long of an evening. Comparing to some other sports. More likely, there are going to be forfeits or short matches with a dual being over in less than an hour.

A way to remedy forfeits without reducing weight classes is setting a limit to how many individual matches count towards team scoring.

Example: 14 weight classes but only 12 could go towards team scoring. Coaches can get together before a meet and decide which 12 of those would be. The other 2 individual matches can be contested for record keeping but would be excluded from team scoring. Up to 2 forfeits would be automatically excluded. This would limit the effect that forfeits can have without having to reduce weight classes.

1 hour ago, StrubN said:

I say stay with 14 weight classes. A dual with 14 really competitive matches isn't that long of an evening. Comparing to some other sports. More likely, there are going to be forfeits or short matches with a dual being over in less than an hour.

This is true but how many events have you been to where there is only one dual for the day?  I can honestly say that in the 40 years I have been involved in wrestling I have not been involved with a one dual night. And what I mean by one dual is only 2 teams involved.  I know you could have a varsity, JV, Freshman, middle school and youth event between 2 teams but how many ky teams can actually accomplish this many teams? 

17 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

This is true but how many events have you been to where there is only one dual for the day?  I can honestly say that in the 40 years I have been involved in wrestling I have not been involved with a one dual night. And what I mean by one dual is only 2 teams involved.  I know you could have a varsity, JV, Freshman, middle school and youth event between 2 teams but how many ky teams can actually accomplish this many teams? 

In Lexington we do Wed night dual just between 2 teams all the time. Thats actually a majority of our duals between each other. We do it a lot in region 7. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:14 PM, grappler-of-old said:

I stand corrected, in nky it is a rare event. 

If you can't get at least 3 teams it is considered a wasted event. 

Where I’m from back in my time,  most of your matches came in 2 team duals. You’d have two a week (tuesdays and Fridays) and then wrestle in a few weekend individual tourneys. The duals were typically very well attended and the top teams often got together which were really big events. 

I do think that has changed some as like in many places, numbers are down and these are more often tris or quads.