Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Weight class survey

Coaches, your A.d. or Principal should have received this email about weight class changes and needs to fill out survey by Tuesday. If they have not contacted you and asked your opinion, you need to get with them asap, give them your imput, and have them vote by Tuesday.

Screenshot_20210429-081804_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Why are they voting 3 seasons out?  This does not take effect until 2023-2024.  Alot can change in those years.  The rule can change again.  Schools voting may not have teams.  Some teams may exist that don't right now.  Kentucky could have an influx of wrestlers or a major drop off.  This vote should happen the season prior each year so it is based off of a current landscape. 

Let's try working on something important, like fixing post season, securing a venue, making sure that the right kids are at the state tournament.  You know, all the things that were a debacle this year.  

38 minutes ago, J.W. said:

Why are they voting 3 seasons out?  This does not take effect until 2023-2024.  Alot can change in those years.  The rule can change again.  Schools voting may not have teams.  Some teams may exist that don't right now.  Kentucky could have an influx of wrestlers or a major drop off.  This vote should happen the season prior each year so it is based off of a current landscape. 

Let's try working on something important, like fixing post season, securing a venue, making sure that the right kids are at the state tournament.  You know, all the things that were a debacle this year.  

This is coming from NFHS, not just KHSAA or the Coaches association...

Was not required by the NFHS to vote on this yet.  They just had a board meeting and voted on weight classes for 3 seasons from now, but don't have information on if going back to normal post season, or top 2 from quad states, or top 4, or location.

That was low hanging fruit and easy.  Working with coaches association to get back to what the wrestling community wants for a post season is being dodged and neglected.  

But glad they chose 14!

As for post season my understanding all long was that it was a one year thing and we are going back to as normal next year. That is what they said in the board meetings when it was done. Now I get it they could still change and reverse it but if we go by what has been said then back to horse park (yuck) we go. Glad back to normal wish not horse park. What I don't understand is why did they even vote on girls wrestling when they haven't yet recognized it as a sanction sport. My school like many I am sure will not allow a girls event or team without being sanctioned first. So that's what I wish they would get done.

2 hours ago, panthers said:

. My school like many I am sure will not allow a girls event or team without being sanctioned first. So that's what I wish they would get done.

Having a girls team or event is not different than having an all freshman team or JV team.  My take is that KHSAA has now stipulated that when an all girl team is wrestling another all girl team they will use the wt. classes listed.  It is sanctioned under the wrestling team, not boy or girl specific. 

Not at my school. I tried that a few years ago to get a team together. My answer was simple we have one team. I also don't have a budget to do freshman or JV I one budget just for wrestling period. Hopefully when KHSAA approves it then they will allow for buses and separate matches.