Sign in to follow this  
halfhalfhalf

Weight class changes coming

16 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Rules revisions:

Weight classes and state has the choice of 12, 13 or 14 weights.

6 matches in a day not 5 anymore in the post season. 

Low cut socks rule gone

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/separate-weight-classes-for-girls-choice-of-weight-classes-established-in-high-school-wrestling/

I wish they would have a 100 pound weight-class.

I like more opportunity! I would like to see more weight classes. Bring back the 98 pound weight class! I would never vote to allow less wrestlers to wrestle. A wrestler close to me has only been heavy enough to compete in high school for two years..... 

The only reason I would like the 13 wt. classes is that it will reduce the chance of a tie in duals. Or at least make the 1st criteria in a tie most wt classes won which would determine most ties in duals. 

28 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

The only reason I would like the 13 wt. classes is that it will reduce the chance of a tie in duals. Or at least make the 1st criteria in a tie most wt classes won which would determine most ties in duals. 

I don’t agree with the tie thing. But I do agree that it makes the first criteria very simple to decide a winner. 

I say if they was going to change it why not have a light heavy somewhere in the middle of 215 & 285 or 300. Maybe do away with like 138 and make 245 or 250. Then you would still have a 134 you would still have lower weights about 6-8 pounds apart and more for the bigger guys.

I think that the idea is that there are many more high school kids that weigh in that core area 120-150 than there are bigger high school kids weighing over 200. 

That could be the case but I think its more like unless you are a freak athlete all the 235-255 kids quit because they either cant or wont cut to 222 or not 217 or don't want to give up 30 to 50 pounds.  Yes I get it others do but most have limited success when given up weight like that.

OK I looked it up. This is their last weigh in before post season.

1 Smith (Martin Co) 239.4

2. Pottle (Ohio Co)  268.8

3.  Kelly (Christ Co)  259.0

4.  Hughes (Simon Ken) 245.9

5.  Marshall (Ryle) 247.6

6.  Martin (Fern Cr) 263.0

7.  May (Pike Co Cen) 282.0

8.  Williams (Trinity) 272.4

That is an average of 259.7

Again those are the great Athletes I spoke of but there are hundreds of them in mid 240-250 that just aren't great athletes. If we only care about the top 8 then it really don't matter what the weight classes are but if its about more kids then we shouldn't have 70 pounds between the possible kids weights. My hwt cut to 279 from 307 to start the season.

What I was trying to point out is that there are not that many wrestlers actually 270 and up. (Most who are this wt and above are probably not healthy) I worked with two 300+ this last season one made 285 the other has now reached it after the season.  Both are now much more healthy than before. 

I understand what you are talking about.

That is why the classes have changed from 12 in the 80's to 14 now.  Problem is where do we cut it off?  I have seen the problem of to many wrestlers in the upper weights before, but I believe that most teams don't have that problem.  Most have problems with a multitude of middle weight wresters.  I have always thought that there should be a 170,185, 200, 230, and Hwt class, and whatever you want for the other 9.  that still maintains 5 upper wt classes but separated differently. 

I think if you went much higher that a 230 wt class there would be very few in the HWT class.

I don't really have the numbers, this is just from observation. 

Yeah same thoughts mine wold look more like this but they don't care about what we want someone has there own plans or they would have left it up to each state to make their own 12/13 or 14 weights

106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 215, 240,  HWT