Sign in to follow this  
VisionQuest

Venue for next year..

Haha.  Flexible, like not having a post season plan until the 11th hour, not one that any of the coaches or participants desired.  That kind of flexible or the kind at the beginning of the school year says regionals will be on this date and states on this date for venue eligibility.

Pretty sure we can work our schedules.

30 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Avoiding overlapping post season for what reason?  Why does it matter if our state event happens during the basketball region or even state event?

From what I understand, there's a few reasons, none of which really make me say it shouldn't happen. One is KHSAA personnel availability and resources. Multiple events mean spreading the team thinner. They've never been a big presence at our event, so not a big deal. Another is for fans/parents who might want to attend two concurrent events, especially if you are someone who has a kid, sibling, relative, etc in both events. There are also athletes who participate in multiple sports, and in theory might have to choose. I don't think this happens much in the winter....not exactly any basketball players wrestling (and vice versa) in their spare time. This does happen in the spring and fall though.

So to answer your question, it really shouldn't matter. 

Valid point on kids that are involved in multiple sports, especially at the smallest schools. Would be interesting to see how many kids this would impact in a typical year. While it should be a concern, it should not govern the masses. 
Would also like to know the personnel overlap. And I don’t mean those just want to “work” the sweet 16 so they can watch the games. 

9 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Valid point on kids that are involved in multiple sports, especially at the smallest schools. Would be interesting to see how many kids this would impact in a typical year. While it should be a concern, it should not govern the masses. 
Would also like to know the personnel overlap. And I don’t mean those just want to “work” the sweet 16 so they can watch the games. 

I don't think it's many, especially in winter, although in 2019-20 we did have a wrestler that was also on the diving team. I know many football teams share a kicker with the soccer team, and I've seen some track athletes play a second sport in the spring. I think archery has some that play other sports at the same time because their season is so long. Can't comment on the other point, although I know it's not just an issue for the Sweet 16. I'm sure most that work for the KHSAA have a favorite event they'd rather attend. 

I believe most programs showed their "flexibility" this season. With teams canceling events due to covid restrictions, the almost universally maligned post season format shoved down our throats and getting matches 1 day in advance to get the kids mat time, the coaches deserve an "atta boy" for their flexibility. I think it can be done at the bigger venues, in spite of D1 basketball being played there. Like the sport itself, it's all about effort. Do we take the easy way out and say, "Thank you, sir. May I have another?" Or, do we work together to make it work? 

7 minutes ago, Tbagnky said:

I believe most programs showed their "flexibility" this season. With teams canceling events due to covid restrictions, the almost universally maligned post season format shoved down our throats and getting matches 1 day in advance to get the kids mat time, the coaches deserve an "atta boy" for their flexibility. I think it can be done at the bigger venues, in spite of D1 basketball being played there. Like the sport itself, it's all about effort. Do we take the easy way out and say, "Thank you, sir. May I have another?" Or, do we work together to make it work? 

Never said it couldn't be done. It's just that it's going to take some help and willingness from the colleges/facilities mentioned. Securing that is the hard part, especially for those colleges that don't have wrestling and may not see any benefit. Obviously the wrestling community has the desire. 

So, then it it is possible. Who do we contact? Who is our voice? What do the possible facilities need? How do we go about doing these things? How do we make our championship something that makes other athletes want to wrestle? These are the questions that need to be asked and answered, then acted upon. We can bicker back and forth all day long on this forum, but until someone makes the moves/calls/emails that need to be made, nothing is going to change. I wish that I had the pull or contacts to do these things. I'm just a parent that absolutely loves the sport and what it has done for my boys, and I respect anyone who has influenced them, or any other kid that has put on the headgear. 

42 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Never said it couldn't be done. It's just that it's going to take some help and willingness from the colleges/facilities mentioned. Securing that is the hard part, especially for those colleges that don't have wrestling and may not see any benefit. Obviously the wrestling community has the desire. 

Those colleges that don't have wrestling, maybe this is a way to show them the benefits of having a program.  Get some inroads to the D1 schools to pick up wrestling.  What better way then to have the state tourney at your facility to help spark interest. 

1 hour ago, Tbagnky said:

So, then it it is possible. Who do we contact? Who is our voice? What do the possible facilities need? How do we go about doing these things? How do we make our championship something that makes other athletes want to wrestle? These are the questions that need to be asked and answered, then acted upon. We can bicker back and forth all day long on this forum, but until someone makes the moves/calls/emails that need to be made, nothing is going to change. I wish that I had the pull or contacts to do these things. I'm just a parent that absolutely loves the sport and what it has done for my boys, and I respect anyone who has influenced them, or any other kid that has put on the headgear. 

According to a quick google, Lu Young is the chair of the Kentucky Department of Education. 

If Tackett and Barren really report up to her, maybe that is a start. 

Her email address is lu.young@education.ky.gov

One thing I always hate in these discussions is the notion that Lexington is the center of the state.  Geographically it is in Marion or Taylor county depending on what source you use.  Population it is in Washington County.  Both of those are roughly the same distance from Louisville as they are from Lexington.  

The one thing I know is it desperately needs to leave the Horse Park.  I think a suitable facility could be found but getting the KHSAA on board with anything not in their backyard might be the real issue.

I don't know this for sure but when you look at JUST the schools with wrestling I'd say the center becomes even further away from Lexington.  Might be a fun exercise to do one day.

16 minutes ago, DamonMBarnes said:

I don't know this for sure but when you look at JUST the schools with wrestling I'd say the center becomes even further away from Lexington.  Might be a fun exercise to do one day.

Based on this year's region entries and google maps:

Region 1, 10 teams (Ft. Campbell did not included)

Region 2, 19 teams (Ft. Knox did not included)

Region 3, 12 teams

Region 4, 9 teams (I included Moore)

Region 5, 11 teams total. 4 closer to Louisville, 7 closer to Horse Park(3 are <=15 minutes difference, Franklin Co, Western Hills, and Anderson Co) 

Region 6, 13 teams. All are <=15 minutes closer to the Horse Park  

Region 7, 18 teams

Region 8, 15 teams

Closer to Louisville Freedom Hall: Total teams 54 + 2(Ft. Knox & Ft. Campbell) 56

Closer to Horse Park: Total Teams 53

Student sections are always a great thing to have. Support from classmates is one of the best aspects of the state tournament. Just look at a photo from yesterday's sweet sixteen game.

Student section.jpg