Sign in to follow this  
VisionQuest

Venue for next year..

There are so many colleges. Surely one could move a basketball game. Murray's racer arena would be so fun to have state in. What's the typical state attendance?

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

There are so many colleges. Surely one could move a basketball game. Murray's racer arena would be so fun to have state in. What's the typical state attendance?

Only problem with that is the KHSAA is going to want a centrally located venue.

3 hours ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Which translates to within a 25 minute drive of KHSAA HQ (Lexington)

To me I think the concern is more the format of the event.  If they stick to 8 man state, then it will never leave a high school.  Horse park is no longer under contract and for some reason I don’t see the KHSAA in a rush to find somewhere new.  I would take a guess and say they run the clock out and say - couldn’t find anything - let’s do region, semi, state again at a HS.  

6 hours ago, LCalum said:

Is there anything wrong with Freedom Hall?   Seems like the perfect venue, and typically available.  

Bellarmine plays their home basketball games at Freedom since moving to D1. 

14 hours ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Surely a wrestling school could handle it. Bellermine, Weslyan, Midway? 

18 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Surely a wrestling school could handle it. Bellermine, Weslyan, Midway? 

Don’t know about the other two, but Bellarmine’s  field house only seats about 2100, and likely couldn’t fit more than 3 mats. And they likely won’t give up Freedom during basketball season. 

How about Memorial Coliseum? I realize it's more than just saying, "let's have it here", but this is the most centrally located and it's close to the KHSAA offices. If it’s a question of money to procure a venue, can we as a wrestling community raise the money through sponsors or private donations? Going back to a high school gym or keeping the format of this year needs to be categorically squashed. We aren't on a level comparable to Indiana or Ohio, but if the goal is to grow the sport, we have to collectively work to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

KWC/Wesleyan doesn't have a place they play at the sports center and I don't believe its big enough nor is it anywhere near Lexington for the Central Location problem.

Is there a meeting of any kind to review the wrestling season that just finished?

do you think that by the beginning of next year a location for state and or format for post season will be in place?

26 minutes ago, panthers said:

KWC/Wesleyan doesn't have a place they play at the sports center and I don't believe its big enough nor is it anywhere near Lexington for the Central Location problem.

Just throwing out ideas. Western, Eastern, Morehead, K-State? 

Oh I agree, I do think if we could pull it off Western might be a good option. They have wrestling now at 4 Warren Co schools they are somewhat central located and the arena there is nice and girls state basketball has used it so it could be possible. Although I really don't think any of our thoughts matter it will be where KHSAA wants and for my money I would say Horse Park but if we are lucky maybe we can get another place in Lexington.

13 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Just throwing out ideas. Western, Eastern, Morehead, K-State? 

WKU, EKU, Morehead, NKU all have D1 basketball and likely wouldn't be willing to give up their arena for a few days during the stretch run of their basketball season. This goes back to schedule. If we want any of those places to be in play, we would likely need to shift our season back a couple of weeks, mirroring Ohio's season, with state taking place sometime in March. 

18 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

WKU, EKU, Morehead, NKU all have D1 basketball and likely wouldn't be willing to give up their arena for a few days during the stretch run of their basketball season. This goes back to schedule. If we want any of those places to be in play, we would likely need to shift our season back a couple of weeks, mirroring Ohio's season, with state taking place sometime in March. 

KHSAA does not want to overlapping post seasons. 

Girls state takes place 2nd weekend in March, Boys 3rd weekend in March.

At very latest it could be moved to 1st weekend in March, but I don't believe they would want to overlap with basketball Region or District. 

We have our state tourney on week 33 of calendar, which is the last regular season week for basketball.  

I post this somewhere else.... If NFHS moves to the 6 match rule from 5 (Which I voted for as a yes) I could totally see KHSAA moving to the format this yr but make it a 16 man bracket.

Doing so, they would lose $$ BUT..... With the girls boom in the state and I am very confident they will sanction it.... Khsaa has to have a venue to hold both tourneys.

Scratch HS gyms.

Someone said, they want to be close to KHSAA hQ. I could see them staying at horse barn for that simple fact seating, $$ they make/save AND they can sleep at home at night.

29 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

KHSAA does not want to overlapping post seasons. 

Girls state takes place 2nd weekend in March, Boys 3rd weekend in March.

At very latest it could be moved to 1st weekend in March, but I don't believe they would want to overlap with basketball Region or District. 

We have our state tourney on week 33 of calendar, which is the last regular season week for basketball.  

Yep. All good points, and hopefully, it helps everyone understand that it's not as simple as it sounds. No sport operates in a vacuum, and there's a lot of moving parts and decisions that are dependent on other decisions. It's a big puzzle, and with covid this year, I can only imagine how difficult it was to get all the pieces to fit.

2 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

How about Memorial Coliseum? I realize it's more than just saying, "let's have it here", but this is the most centrally located and it's close to the KHSAA offices. If it’s a question of money to procure a venue, can we as a wrestling community raise the money through sponsors or private donations? Going back to a high school gym or keeping the format of this year needs to be categorically squashed. We aren't on a level comparable to Indiana or Ohio, but if the goal is to grow the sport, we have to collectively work to make it happen. 

Again, Memorial is the home arena for UK's girls basketball team, so anything in February is probably a no go.

22 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Again, Memorial is the home arena for UK's girls basketball team, so anything in February is probably a no go.

Instead of naysaying every single option people come up with, what are your suggestions?  Every positive response has been met with a negative one.  It gets old.  There are solutions for everything. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Instead of naysaying every single option people come up with, what are your suggestions?  Every positive response has been met with a negative one.  It gets old.  There are solutions for everything. 

Not naysaying. Just being realistic. Is none of what I've mentioned worth considering? We are asking D1 college basketball teams to give up their building for our benefit, without getting much of anything in return, and getting mad about it. For what it's worth I love the idea of hosting at one of the bigger colleges--Western, Morehead, NKU, wherever. The reality is, due to the commitments and requirements needed for their basketball teams, they simply aren't an option in February. No college is going to bump their basketball teams from their home for high school wrestling (or any other sport). And there's no amount of money, effort, want or need on the wrestling communities part that's going to change that. The smaller wrestling colleges in KY aren't an option either due to venues that are too small. Again, nothing we can do to change that. Going to one of those small venues would be a step back. I offered my solution. We need to look at changing our post season dates if we want to get into one of those better, larger venues. But as GOO mentioned, overlapping post seasons is something the KHSAA tries to avoid regardless of sport. But hey, if you want to keep talking about how those larger facilities would be great, without considering the realities I've brought up, by all means go right ahead. 

My point throughout all of this has been trying to get folks to understand that there's a lot that goes on in these decisions. And that while an idea may seem like the perfect solution, there are circumstances (that we have no control over) that make these solutions possibly unworkable, many of which are beyond the KHSAA's or the wrestling community's control. There are certainly many possible solutions. However, all of them will require some sort of compromise on everybody's part.

For the sake of argument or open discussion:

Bellarmine was home on February 6, away Feb 12 and 13, off on the 20th, and home agin on the 27th.  Guessing their schedule is published in advance of our season beginning, being flexible with a week plus or minus 1 week, and schedules will normally flow the same for home and away, would not take much to figure that out each year.  

3 minutes ago, J.W. said:

For the sake of argument or open discussion:

Bellarmine was home on February 6, away Feb 12 and 13, off on the 20th, and home agin on the 27th.  Guessing their schedule is published in advance of our season beginning, being flexible with a week plus or minus 1 week, and schedules will normally flow the same for home and away, would not take much to figure that out each year.  

It would certainly be pretty easy to figure out the scheduling from year to year. It would be tough to have a long term commitment though, because you won't know beyond the current year, plus you'd also be looking at the possibility of the Championship date changing from year to year, which would affect in season events and scheduling from year to year. Definitely doable, just would require compromise and flexibility on the wrestling community/KHSAA's part.

26 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

It would certainly be pretty easy to figure out the scheduling from year to year. It would be tough to have a long term commitment though, because you won't know beyond the current year, plus you'd also be looking at the possibility of the Championship date changing from year to year, which would affect in season events and scheduling from year to year. Definitely doable, just would require compromise and flexibility on the wrestling community/KHSAA's part.

lol. Championship dates are set in a 4 yr scheduling matrix based off of the NFHS calendar. So a long term commitment is easily doable.