Kylemckune

State Tournament Follow Up

4 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I don’t care what’s happening in Vermont. Who cares about Rhode Island or anywhere else a thousand miles away. Our border states went on with the show. And most importantly other sports in our own state during this season DID NOT follow the same protocols we were forced to follow that were supposedly for the safety of the participants and fans. It’s pretty simple. Those in charge chose to pick and choose the rules based on their convenience and not what is perceived to be best for everyone. 

Literally responding to a question that was asked. Relax

34 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Hey son here's an old pair of shoes with the sides blown out.  But dad these shoes are torn and dirty.  Hey son be happy you got these shoes the kids in Africa don't have shoes at all. 

Meanwhile with the other son.  Here ya go son sorry I could only get you these $250 pair of Jordan's, money was kind of tight this year. 

OHHH but be happy you got to wrestle this year. GEEZZ. 

By all means. Continue to cry on a message board. I can see some really impressive progress being made. 

36 minutes ago, Old wrestler said:

By all means. Continue to cry on a message board. I can see some really impressive progress being made. 

Then you have not looked very hard.  Many things have been accomplished by banding together in this site.  Middle school and Youth have made extreme strides by posting on here and getting input from others.  A few years back after gathering the troops (some of which were gathered on here) KHSAA put the finals on one mat instead of all the medals matches at one time. 

I'm sure there are other examples but those come to mind immediately. 

Plus venting is good for the soul. 

Some of this is not just venting but bringing awareness to the broader community. And as goo mentions there have been times where ideas were spawned from these discussions. 

In theory it doesn’t take coaches revolting to make mats being moved a standard practice. We would hope those with a voice and ability to affect change will make a real effort to bring about that change. This year we had way too much just be happy with what you got. That is not the wrestling mentality that I have learned and teach my kids. In fact quite the opposite. 

6 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Then you have not looked very hard.  Many things have been accomplished by banding together in this site.  Middle school and Youth have made extreme strides by posting on here and getting input from others.  A few years back after gathering the troops (some of which were gathered on here) KHSAA put the finals on one mat instead of all the medals matches at one time. 

I'm sure there are other examples but those come to mind immediately. 

Plus venting is good for the soul. 

This is the only site/opportunity that all who love Kentucky wresting can come together and work towards common goals for our sport. As Ranger and Goo has said, we came together to move mats, have youth and MS face offs, better awards, national level training with each other across the state and we can go on from there. Bottom line is that all our border states had their championships. We were told that this was for Covid protocol and safety then turn around the following week and do the complete opposite. Until we have leadership from the Coaches association and community leaders get through to the KHSAA regional Board members , we will never see change for the best. 

11 hours ago, gameface said:

This is the only site/opportunity that all who love Kentucky wresting can come together and work towards common goals for our sport. As Ranger and Goo has said, we came together to move mats, have youth and MS face offs, better awards, national level training with each other across the state and we can go on from there. Bottom line is that all our border states had their championships. We were told that this was for Covid protocol and safety then turn around the following week and do the complete opposite. Until we have leadership from the Coaches association and community leaders get through to the KHSAA regional Board members , we will never see change for the best. 

On behalf of the coaches association and a number of coaches on it, we spent countless hours trying to do everything we could to help make this year the best we could. I dont know what power you think the association has, but when dealing with khsaa it is minimal.  Sure youth and ms can be done however,  its not ran by the khsaa. If state was ran by the coaches association,  it would be much different.  So dont go throwing myself and our association members under the bus. You guys have no idea the time, effort, and battles we went through this year. I personally have done everything I can to help communication and to go to khsaa on behave wrestling. Coach Founder, Ashbrook, Dettwiller,  Ervin....they all were involved deeply and will tell you the same thing. If its a personal thing and you dont like me or the job I do, feel free to call me or talk to me in person. Not one person has come to me personally, only comments about "leadership " on here. As far as the kywca, everyone on there has worked their butt off to make wrestling better and did EVERYTHING they could this year, if you doubt that, you are simple misinformed or making assumptions. It was a frustrating year for everyone, but blaming the people who worked the hardest is disheartening.  

Scotty Teater 

859-797-2105 

Coachteater@yahoo.com 

8 hours ago, coachteater said:

On behalf of the coaches association and a number of coaches on it, we spent countless hours trying to do everything we could to help make this year the best we could. I dont know what power you think the association has, but when dealing with khsaa it is minimal.  Sure youth and ms can be done however,  its not ran by the khsaa. If state was ran by the coaches association,  it would be much different.  So dont go throwing myself and our association members under the bus. You guys have no idea the time, effort, and battles we went through this year. I personally have done everything I can to help communication and to go to khsaa on behave wrestling. Coach Founder, Ashbrook, Dettwiller,  Ervin....they all were involved deeply and will tell you the same thing. If its a personal thing and you dont like me or the job I do, feel free to call me or talk to me in person. Not one person has come to me personally, only comments about "leadership " on here. As far as the kywca, everyone on there has worked their butt off to make wrestling better and did EVERYTHING they could this year, if you doubt that, you are simple misinformed or making assumptions. It was a frustrating year for everyone, but blaming the people who worked the hardest is disheartening.  

Scotty Teater 

859-797-2105 

Coachteater@yahoo.com 

Scotty you need to read this in the context that it was written, from a friend and coach. Simply put, regardless of what efforts everyone in the wrestling community has put in the past or present  towards making Kentucky wrestling better, we will never get it accomplished until we get through to the members on the Board of Control and they make the changes for us. They don’t see it from the wrestling communities perspective. That’s all I meant from that statement. PS- I have your number on speed dial from the years past coaching together at FCA. 

17 hours ago, gameface said:

Until we have leadership from the Coaches association and community leaders get through to the KHSAA regional Board members , we will never see change for the best. 

I thought maybe Coach Teater may have read this wrong way. Maybe should have read.  "until the leaders of the Coaches association and the community are able to get through to the KHSAA regional board members............"

Just one of the problems with reading instead of being able to actually hear the response. 

12 minutes ago, gameface said:

Scotty you need to read this in the context that it was written, from a friend and coach. Simply put, regardless of what efforts everyone in the wrestling community has put in the past or present  towards making Kentucky wrestling better, we will never get it accomplished until we get through to the members on the Board of Control and they make the changes for us. They don’t see it from the wrestling communities perspective. That’s all I meant from that statement. PS- I have your number on speed dial from the years past coaching together at FCA. 

Thank you for responding,  i Apologize for missing your point which i totally agree the boc needs to listen to the association.  I should have not quoted your statement, it was just last one before i replied, i should have made mine on its own. I will say there are ones out there that seem to have the feeling myself or the association is not trying, this is totally untrue. Thanks for your support and I have nothing but respect for you and your team. 

1 minute ago, grappler-of-old said:

I thought maybe Coach Teater may have read this wrong way. Maybe should have read.  "until the leaders of the Coaches association and the community are able to get through to the KHSAA regional board members............"

Just one of the problems with reading instead of being able to actually hear the response. 

Correct, I will totally own I misread that comment. My apologies 

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

Thank you for responding,  i Apologize for missing your point which i totally agree the boc needs to listen to the association.  I should have not quoted your statement, it was just last one before i replied, i should have made mine on its own. I will say there are ones out there that seem to have the feeling myself or the association is not trying, this is totally untrue. Thanks for your support and I have nothing but respect for you and your team. 

It’s all good Scotty. Just wanted to make sure you knew that it was nothing about you or any coaches. Literally a deaf ear is just that. Unless they have a personal attachment to this sport (which none of their kids wrestle) they will never know who their poor decisions negatively affect. I will leave you with this, I LOVED the safety minds in charge of controlling the grouping together at the Day 2 Semi-State/Medal rounds.  (like the “podium chairs”) atleast 6 feet apart to help control Covid  after they forced all the wrestlers (minus the 106 lbs) into the small gym to warm up on one mat. 8 wrestlers on the  4 mats in the main gym and 108 wrestlers on the one mat in the small gym!! LMAO!!!

A9461590-3FBA-473A-BD74-4AAED3F86444.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Throw some dirt on the floor and that looks like the horse barn. I’ll never forget the year Mike Barren made made my good friend from St X clear the mats on main floor at Horse Park. From that year on , we were force to a one mat warmup. 
  So many examples!!! 

12 hours ago, coachteater said:

Scotty Teater 

859-797-2105 

Coachteater@yahoo.com 

Now that is a great perspective. 

Maybe not my place anymore but as someone who struggles to deal with the KHSAA in another sport let me say the following.  The BOC doesn't care about wrestling as a group.  There are two BOC members who may care a little, but it is just 2 and they will even admit any attempt by them to "make wrestling better" will just get shot down quickly. (sadly one of those members is on their last year on the BOC)   Wrestling is not a primary sport to the KHSAA or the BOC, and therefore in their minds, it should not be a focus or anything to put time into.  

My point in all this is efforts to change that perspective are just wasteful IMO.  The old "beating a dead horse" comes to mind.  What needs to happen is efforts from a different angle, like those I mentioned in another thread about having a separate state tournament that was 32 man and ran like it should have been in the post season.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

Maybe not my place anymore but as someone who struggles to deal with the KHSAA in another sport let me say the following.  The BOC doesn't care about wrestling as a group.  There are two BOC members who may care a little, but it is just 2 and they will even admit any attempt by them to "make wrestling better" will just get shot down quickly. (sadly one of those members is on their last year on the BOC)   Wrestling is not a primary sport to the KHSAA or the BOC, and therefore in their minds, it should not be a focus or anything to put time into.  

My point in all this is efforts to change that perspective are just wasteful IMO.  The old "beating a dead horse" comes to mind.  What needs to happen is efforts from a different angle, like those I mentioned in another thread about having a separate state tournament that was 32 man and ran like it should have been in the post season.  

Glad I’m not completely in left field on this one. If we think bombarding the KHSAA will get us traction, we are reacting off emotion. I think we need to identify 1-2 really big pain points and create alignment within the wrestling community. Right now we have so many grievances that we’ll get automatically shut down (it’s well known amongst most of us that the KHSAA couldn’t care less about appeasing the wresting community). The KHSAA are the gatekeepers. Pissing them off isn’t a sound strategy. 

Now to plantmanky1 point, creating an off season tournament designed to meet all of our asks may be more realistic. Our Freestyle/Greco ‘State’ tournament is laughable. Using our resources to make that more meaningful would go a long way, including better results at Fargo.