Kylemckune

State Tournament Follow Up

While most of the commentary leading up to the state was negative (for good reason), I must say I really enjoyed the product we received. The smaller number of wrestlers and mats made it possible to see all the great matches that took place. Alot of those same matches in the horsepark get over looked. 

If the sectional would wrestle back for true second and send top four then I would prefer this format. I think that would help identify the 8 best wrestlers in the state for the most part. 

Biggest problem of course was the amount of potential placers who never had a chance. 

I feel like at this point in KY, this product would draw more casual fans who don't have a kid as opposed to the previous format. Ultimately it would help grow the popularity of wrestling in our state. 

Wonder what everyone else thinks?

• Upvote 1

I think it depends on what the goals are. Those need to be clearly communicated, first. 

Personally, I think a 16 man bracket is optimal. Regionals one week as normal. Semi state  (Region 1-4 and 5-8) the next week. The top 8 from each semi state qualify for the state tournament. It provides some kids an opportunity to upset some higher seeds while maintaining the integrity of high level wrestling. 

Are we wanting a 2 day tournament or single day? If it’s a single day, then use Indiana as a template. If it’s a 2 day tournament, I think true second should be strongly encouraged. 

I didn’t think the product yesterday was necessarily bad, but it felt more like a strong midsession tournament, not a culminating event. 

• Like 1

Go back to districts, regions, then state. Top four from districts go to regions and top four from regions go to states. Do real seeding by a seeding meeting for the state tournament.

• Upvote 4

The product we received wasn’t bad if you ignore the fact that several high quality wrestlers were missing. And also the fact that the khsaa boys basketball tournament will be held at Rupp while we were in a high school gymnasium. Change won’t happen for us as a community if we continue to be easily impressed and “thankful” for the scraps we get. These kids work too hard and for what? To not get a chance? Being from region 6 I strongly favor the 32 man bracket because wrestling in our state isn’t in an advanced enough state to cut out opportunities for kids because they are in a tougher region than others.

My guess is that regions 3,4,7,and 8 would be ok with the idea of district, region, state.  But just ask Woodford how they liked only taking 2 instead of the 10 they would have taken if not mixed into region 6. 

Or ask Larue who only took 4 instead of the 10 or Meade who had no qualifiers instead of the 11 they would have had if not mixed into region 1. 

I don't in any way believe that the spectators would rise if less were at the tourney.  I also believe that it would hurt many programs if the number of qualifiers were reduced. 

I have mentioned this numerous times.  I was not a fan of the 32 man bracket when they started it.  I am now convinced that it worked.  We have increased the teams by 20-30.  The only way you get spectators when little Johnny is not there is by families who have had wrestlers for generations, which we don't have much of yet. 

My takeaways:

great quality wrestling

pretty good officiating

sad that the event was in a HS gym with little to no theatrics behind the finals

the hammers who we thought would have tough finals matches, HAMMERED (Moore, Duke, Thomas, TKC, Smith).  

the awards ceremony was a joke

i really hope they don’t keep to an 8-man “final round” - because if they do, it will forever be in a high school

Old district -> regional -> 16 man state seems like the way to go, but we can go back to that until numbers return to pre covid

Excited for next season!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

My guess is that regions 3,4,7,and 8 would be ok with the idea of district, region, state.  But just ask Woodford how they liked only taking 2 instead of the 10 they would have taken if not mixed into region 6. 

Or ask Larue who only took 4 instead of the 10 or Meade who had no qualifiers instead of the 11 they would have had if not mixed into region 1. 

I don't in any way believe that the spectators would rise if less were at the tourney.  I also believe that it would hurt many programs if the number of qualifiers were reduced. 

I have mentioned this numerous times.  I was not a fan of the 32 man bracket when they started it.  I am now convinced that it worked.  We have increased the teams by 20-30.  The only way you get spectators when little Johnny is not there is by families who have had wrestlers for generations, which we don't have much of yet. 

Did they do an MOW award? If so who won it.

24 minutes ago, kentuckywrestling said:

No MOW’s and the team championship trophies were in a box and told to grab at the door and head outside. No team pictures allowed on the mat or floor!!

I hope they fix the final results. When you click the "2021 awards and honors". The placements are all messed up Walton Verona, West Carter and other teams are showing up twice on the list of team points. 

1 hour ago, kentuckywrestling said:

I heard they sent a link out to coaches to vote.  Then award will be mailed. 

By eliminating the parade of champions takes away the pomp and circumstance of why we were there. It creates atmosphere and not having ceremony is, in part, why it felt like a regular meet vs STATE MEET.

While I appreciated most of the quality wrestling there was with 8 man brackets , it kept way too many quality wrestlers at home and dooms the State Wrestling Tournament to a HS venue forever. More wrestlers = more $$$       But KHSAA doesn’t want to pay for a venue. 
*Too many potential placers were left at home while other regions had a cake walk to State. 

I don’t know what the issue was, but parents begging at the gate because they didn’t have a ticket should never happen. If state continues at a HS it is bound to happen again. There will always be limited seating. I don’t know the capacity limits but it was pretty full, imo. 

No podium allowed for the finalists, but they could have chairs 6 ft apart for the “awards ceremony”. Did anyone else notice how the finalists had to be 6 ft apart to get a medal but the referees didn’t have masks on and their chairs for finals were right next to each other? I should have taken a picture to show the KHSAA what they thought of that. 

KHSAA better be handing Basketball trophies out in boxes and not letting the team take pictures on the floor if a wrestling team can’t take a picture with their trophy. 

If Basketball gets Rupp arena, wrestling better never have to wrestle in the dirt again at the Horse Park. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wrestling123 said:

By eliminating the parade of champions takes away the pomp and circumstance of why we were there. It creates atmosphere and not having ceremony is, in part, why it felt like a regular meet vs STATE MEET.

While I appreciated most of the quality wrestling there was with 8 man brackets , it kept way too many quality wrestlers at home and dooms the State Wrestling Tournament to a HS venue forever. More wrestlers = more $$$       But KHSAA doesn’t want to pay for a venue. 
*Too many potential placers were left at home while other regions had a cake walk to State. 

I don’t know what the issue was, but parents begging at the gate because they didn’t have a ticket should never happen. If state continues at a HS it is bound to happen again. There will always be limited seating. I don’t know the capacity limits but it was pretty full, imo. 

No podium allowed for the finalists, but they could have chairs 6 ft apart for the “awards ceremony”. Did anyone else notice how the finalists had to be 6 ft apart to get a medal but the referees didn’t have masks on and their chairs for finals were right next to each other? I should have taken a picture to show the KHSAA what they thought of that. 

KHSAA better be handing Basketball trophies out in boxes and not letting the team take pictures on the floor if a wrestling team can’t take a picture with their trophy. 

If Basketball gets Rupp arena, wrestling better never have to wrestle in the dirt again at the Horse Park. 

20210327_184853.jpg

9 hours ago, Wrestling123 said:

I was thinking the same thing about a high school hosting the tournament in future years. If we have little to no Covid restrictions next year we will definitely have a shortage of tickets.

State will not be at a high school next yr. I am VERY confident they are sanctioning girls next yr. 

under the SAME Regions/sub-state/state format 16 man brackets and girls KHSAA will still make $$$. 

I personally think it is silly, but if NFHS does pass the 6th match rule, I wouldn't rule this year's model out but adding top 4 qualify. I personally bought the "oh this is a 1 yr deal" at first. But seeing it done (yes it wasnt a perfect system) I think it may get revisited to go too. 

If this does occur, realignment needs to happen desperately!

14 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Fully agree GOO on all your points.

If you continue to limit the opportunities for newer programs to achieve, how many programs are going to continue? How many new programs will start? How many will go away? Some of the newer programs are struggling with numbers for a multitude of reasons, why on earth would you put a roadblock in their way?  A lot of new programs have increased their numbers because of 1, 2 or 3 kids just advancing to the state tournament. To the legacy programs it doesn't seem like a big deal, but for a new team, 1 kid making it through region to the state tournament can be a huge momentum swing for the future.

If you look at the 36 teams represented at the Final Round, the newest programs there would be Bullitt East, Taylor County or Walton-Verona, all of which have programs that are very stable. The other 33 teams are programs that have been around for quite a while. If you want schools to drop a sport, make it as difficult as possible to win a title and make the title venue a less than desirable place.

Pick a venue that will hold the masses!! Union County, Johnson County, Ryle, Trinity and the other blue blood programs will fill the place up and still have room for the new guys. The venue/destination is part of the appeal to any sport. Talk to the coaches and Ads about a format for the post season, similar to the survey that is being sent out to all the coaches for football. The wrestling community is extremely loyal to the sport and should not be forced to settle for less. Being "happy for scraps" or "it was a really well run" are comments that need to be banned. No matter where a tournament is held, as long as track is running properly, the wrestlers/coaches are informed when and where they wrestle, and the officials are on top of things the wrestling aspect is extremely easy to manage.  

A lot of people know what it was like to wrestle state in a high school gym or the civic center or the dirt floor horse park. The atmosphere is something that cannot and should not be ignored. Our sport has outgrown Atherton High School(or any other high school) and the Civic Center. The Horse Park was large enough, but was not conducive for wrestling, being too cold, dirty, and no way to make the finals an intimate experience. Give the people what they want. The best venue possible and the sport will flourish. Freedom Hall or Rupp Arena. Make it happen! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigBossMan said:

Fully agree GOO on all your points.

If you continue to limit the opportunities for newer programs to achieve, how many programs are going to continue? How many new programs will start? How many will go away? Some of the newer programs are struggling with numbers for a multitude of reasons, why on earth would you put a roadblock in their way?  A lot of new programs have increased their numbers because of 1, 2 or 3 kids just advancing to the state tournament. To the legacy programs it doesn't seem like a big deal, but for a new team, 1 kid making it through region to the state tournament can be a huge momentum swing for the future.

If you look at the 36 teams represented at the Final Round, the newest programs there would be Bullitt East, Taylor County or Walton-Verona, all of which have programs that are very stable. The other 33 teams are programs that have been around for quite a while. If you want schools to drop a sport, make it as difficult as possible to win a title and make the title venue a less than desirable place.

Pick a venue that will hold the masses!! Union County, Johnson County, Ryle, Trinity and the other blue blood programs will fill the place up and still have room for the new guys. The venue/destination is part of the appeal to any sport. Talk to the coaches and Ads about a format for the post season, similar to the survey that is being sent out to all the coaches for football. The wrestling community is extremely loyal to the sport and should not be forced to settle for less. Being "happy for scraps" or "it was a really well run" are comments that need to be banned. No matter where a tournament is held, as long as track is running properly, the wrestlers/coaches are informed when and where they wrestle, and the officials are on top of things the wrestling aspect is extremely easy to manage.  

A lot of people know what it was like to wrestle state in a high school gym or the civic center or the dirt floor horse park. The atmosphere is something that cannot and should not be ignored. Our sport has outgrown Atherton High School(or any other high school) and the Civic Center. The Horse Park was large enough, but was not conducive for wrestling, being too cold, dirty, and no way to make the finals an intimate experience. Give the people what they want. The best venue possible and the sport will flourish. Freedom Hall or Rupp Arena. Make it happen! 

Unless you change the timing of the State Tournament, it will never be held in Rupp or any other basketball arena . Mid February is the home stretch of the college basketball season, and no way will UK or UL give up their digs for a few days for wrestling or any other high school sport. And Freedom is out also, because Bellarmine plays their home basketball games there. It works for the Sweet 16 since college basketball is well into the NCAA tourney by the time HS basketball is running their event. I'm also not sure wrestling could fill a big arena. The horsepark holds about 5500, and I'm not sure that it's ever sold out. Rupp is 4x larger, and even if we doubled attendance, it still might not be half full, which I think would hurt the atmosphere more than holding it in Rupp (or any other large arena) would help it, especially if you think Alltech wasn't "intimate" enough.

Broadbent might be a possibility, as it is about 20% larger than Alltech in terms of capacity, even though it feels smaller. I seem to remember though, they always host something during the time period the KHSAA traditionally holds the state wrestling tourney. If that's the case, it's back to schedule. Perhaps pushing the season back a little woud help in not only securing a different venue, but also in attracting more football players since there's less of an overlap.

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Unless you change the timing of the State Tournament, it will never be held in Rupp or any other basketball arena . Mid February is the home stretch of the college basketball season, and no way will UK or UL give up their digs for a few days for wrestling or any other high school sport. And Freedom is out also, because Bellarmine plays their home basketball games there. It works for the Sweet 16 since college basketball is well into the NCAA tourney by the time HS basketball is running their event. I'm also not sure wrestling could fill a big arena. The horsepark holds about 5500, and I'm not sure that it's ever sold out. Rupp is 4x larger, and even if we doubled attendance, it still might not be half full, which I think would hurt the atmosphere more than holding it in Rupp (or any other large arena) would help it, especially if you think Alltech wasn't "intimate" enough.

Broadbent might be a possibility, as it is about 20% larger than Alltech in terms of capacity, even though it feels smaller. I seem to remember though, they always host something during the time period the KHSAA traditionally holds the state wrestling tourney. If that's the case, it's back to schedule. Perhaps pushing the season back a little woud help in not only securing a different venue, but also in attracting more football players since there's less of an overlap.

broadbent isnt going to happen with them charging you each time you are in and out.

1 minute ago, halfhalfhalf said:

broadbent isnt going to happen with them charging you each time you are in and out.

I don't know all the particulars related to each venue. If Broadbent is not an option, what other centrally located, non college basketball arenas are there? I know Pikeville has been floated, and capacity wise it works. It's just so far away from much of the state. Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as saying "let's hold it here". 

14 hours ago, Wrestling123 said:

To be fair 90% of people in the building were not wearing their masks correctly. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't know all the particulars related to each venue. If Broadbent is not an option, what other centrally located, non college basketball arenas are there? I know Pikeville has been floated, and capacity wise it works. It's just so far away from much of the state. Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as saying "let's hold it here". 

Owensboro convention center, WKU, E-town I think has a place that can hold a tourney that size.

I dont think you will see it leave horse palace. KHSAA doesnt want to pay for the state championships anyways. Sooooo..... we aren't leaving anytime soon.

15 hours ago, Wrestling123 said:

i agree on the podium, you’re 100 percent right on every one of us officials having their mask down. ( my mask was on in that picture ) but i can assure you that our A** were ripped for not having our mask pulled up throughout the tournament. but having said that i looked in the crowd countless of many times and seen if not more that half the people in there without a mask on.  if you’re going to attack at the officials for not being 6ft apart in the chairs were y’all 6ft apart in the stands? the KHSAA overlooked a lot of things for this state tournament. be happy everyone was their and the kids were allowed to wrestle that’s the best thing! remember at the beginning of the season we were all happy to be there. 

25 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

This is perfect discussion. An option is given. Pros and cons are presented. Let's work through them to get to the desired outcome.

Wrestling, is at the mercy of high school basketball?? Sounds discriminatory if you ask me. Let's work on a timeline. Find the venue and the dates. Previously, Freedom Hall and Broadbent were out because of the Farm Machinery show. Rupp is only used for games and other non state events. Other dates are available, I'm sure we can find one. Basketball made sure to find one for both the boys and girls well in advance this year. January 19th to be exact. There is almost 11 months between now and next post season. If this season has shown us anything, fluidity in scheduling is key.  

Filling a big arena. I don't believe any sport has an increased expense per person, only per rental. So, if we have 50 or 5000 the rent is the same. Make it affordable and enjoyable, not cold and dirty and more people will be there in my opinion. Give it the gallantry and showmanship it deserves and people will be there. Does Rupp sell out for every high school basketball game??

Intimate finals atmosphere. Freedom Hall and Rupp have floor seating that in minutes can be made available to give a much more intimate feel along with lighting capabilities that can match or out do what the Civic Center had.

Wrestling does have a tremendous overlap in athletes with cross country and football. Pushing the start of the season back is not the worst option. I don't know that limiting the season is the best idea, but if that gets the post season venue of choice, so be it.

The next thing to figure out is the budget. How much money does the KHSAA need to profit? Wrestling revenue in 2018-2019 was in the $30-$35K range. I would suspect that number was the same this year unless the semi state and final round sites took a significant chunk of the gate. So next year we need to be in the $35K range or more, I would think. So not counting sponsors, the gate for 3000 spectators at an average of $25(based on 1 day or 2 day passes). $75,000. If that's not enough gate money to offset expenses adjustments will need to be made, obviously. This year there were roughly 448 spectators allowed per venue for the semi state round plus 448 for the final round. That's 2240 spectators at $20 per person = $44,800.

Let's work together to make it happen.       

• Like 1

I could care less if a referee even brought a mask to the venue.  Was not a cut on the officials.  And I agree people in the stands were not able to distant.  You stated KHSAA looked the other way or overlooked alot of things, but for what reason.

Bottom line is no decision made by the KHSAA was for health reasons, only for reducing day, time, and labor.  

There was more room last year for distancing with 32 man brackets at a larger venue, with unlimited ticket sales than there was Saturday.  

The decisions made were under the name of covid, but not for safety reasons.

Here is a picture of Saturday Morning last year, no restrictions, full brackets, unlimited ticket sales.  Look at all the empty seats and ability to social distance.  There was no ability at the high school gym.

Now tell me how this past weekend prevented anything except less kids getting an opportunity, and a shorter weekend for the governing body.

Basketball kept Rupp Arena under the name of tradition.  That is fine but wrestling deserves the tradition of 32 man brackets, top 4 from each region competing for a shot at a state medal.  Not reduced down to limit work.  

If it is too much work for the governing body, then allow the coach's association to run the tournament and give the money to the khsaa.

To say people in the stands, they were not wearing KHSAA logos on their chest or being paid by the KHSAA that day.  They were just stuffed into a high school gym because they were told this would be safer than last year.

Hopefully next year is a better year for Kentucky Wrestling!

Screenshot_20210329-144641_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1