Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Who’s the first to request a repeat year?

I know a kid who placed high (let’s say anywhere from 1-5) that said he’s going to take advantage of his supplemental year. Well the kid and his father both said a couple weeks ago if the bill past he was going to take advantage of it. I think we’ll see more than some people think who take advantage of it, especially in my neck of the woods. 

3 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Can they only wrestle in Kentucky? I would think Indiana, Tenn, Ohio, and West Virginia would throw a fit. 

Ohio does it all the time.  They just do it earlier.  As long as they are under the age requirements they should be fine.  

On 3/28/2021 at 1:09 AM, DrBaker said:

I’m hearing rumors of a few. This could make for a very interesting year all over again. 

So far how many school districts have approved this?

Any news? I'm hearing lots of rumors. It makes sense for any kid that's playing football or wrestling in college. Another year of lifting weights, training, mowing some yards(saving money). 

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

It makes sense for any kid that's playing football or wrestling in college. Another year of lifting weights, training, mowing some yards(saving money). 

I don't think any kid would fit this. I think only 3 groups fit this.

1.  Kids who have low grades. If I am not mistaken you have to take the same classes you had this year. If you already had good grades then that will be a waste of time.  

2.  Kids who are younger already, there are several with late birthdays that graduate when they are 17. This would fit those kids. 

3.  Fringe players.  Kids who are on the fringe of getting a scholly to play. Or those on the fringe of moving up to division 1.  Anyone else will already be able to get a red shirt therefore get 5 years in college.  

In that order.

My only concern is for the fall sports.  Some seniors (who already have the credits to graduate) will return to play another year.  When the season is over then leave the school.  This takes away from younger kids who would have gotten more time to shine. (I truly hope this is extremely rare, and does not happen very much)

Kids have to have their paperwork in by May 1st and the school board has until June 1st to decide.  So right now it is just that rumors.  

• Like 1

I also wonder is it possible for guys to take another year of high school and then take free classes via a community college because I know some counties allow that. Seems pretty effective to just get more credits out of the way without paying tuition and room and board

This taken from KDE (link below)

Graduated Students Pursuant to KRS 158.140(2), students who meet all state and local graduation requirements are entitled to receive a high school diploma from the school district. Once the diploma is issued, the student’s final GPA should be calculated and should not be altered at a later date to reflect additional or updated coursework as part of the final GPA or credits toward graduation. High school transcripts must contain an accurate account of the student’s final academic standing at the time the diploma is issued.

SB 128 provides that graduated students returning for a supplemental year “shall not receive any additional credits or certifications as a result of coursework unless the student completes the course and remains enrolled in the program until the completion of such course.” Any credit awarded to an already graduated student, however, cannot be used toward high school graduation or be included in the student’s final GPA, as the student graduated and was awarded a diploma prior to completion of the supplemental course. However, the supplemental coursework and grades may be included in the student’s transcript for informational purposes. All students in the Supplemental School Year Program, including graduated students, are considered secondary students. However, pursuant to guidance from the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE), graduated seniors who return and wish to take postsecondary coursework during the 2021-2022 year must pursue dual enrollment (defined within KRS 164.002), rather than dual credit coursework. Furthermore, and pursuant to guidance from the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA), it should be noted that students who graduate from high school during the 2020-2021 year are no longer considered high school students for scholarship purposes and, therefore, are not eligible for Dual Credit or Work Ready Dual Credit scholarships during the 2021-2022 year. As such, tuition for courses taken by graduated students will be determined by the postsecondary institution. High school graduates who desire to use their KEES awards for postsecondary expenses must be enrolled at the postsecondary level as regular postsecondary students who are subject to full tuition rates. Please also be advised that this credit cannot be used toward high school graduation requirements and GPA for graduated students.

The Supplemental School Year Program was established for students to “retake or supplement courses or grades the student has already taken.” That is, courses taken during the supplemental year must be those the student previously was enrolled in or bear a reasonable connection to previous courses to be supplementary in nature. Students may not retake or supplement courses from any school year prior to the 2020-2021 school year. The Supplemental School Year Program also was not established for students to explore coursework they otherwise didn’t have the opportunity to take. Which courses satisfy a reasonable connection to previous courses and are supplementary in nature will be determined by the local district. For graduated seniors, local school districts may establish policies on grades, schedules, classifications, graduation ceremonies and other operational issues in offering the supplemental school year.

It is recommended that before students and parents make a decision about whether or not a graduated senior will request 2021-2022 as a supplemental year, they consult guidance provided by the KHEAA, the CPE and the Kentucky High School Athletic Association.

https://education.ky.gov/districts/Documents/SB 128 Guidance.pdf

Boone County School’s sent the confirmation letters out today.  Even though the kids have until June 30th to change their minds I officially have a sophomore and a junior.   Projected weight classes 170&182.