Sign in to follow this  
Lowsingle

No podium or awards

I won't argue about the start time. I do know the BOC contributes to that. But I will say, I have to watch what I say based on my district. It's not just that simple. Remember the biggest school district in the state voted to cancel athletics. 

I'm just a has been that has disagreed with some of the desicions made in the past. But I also know that the powers that be do not always have the say. I'll give you an example, Dr. Polio made a recommendation for return to school and our school board almost shot it down. Same works for the KHSAA. Tackett and Barren can believe what they want but the BOC and KDE ultimately make the decision.

Not buying that the BOC or BOE are making calls on some of these things. Not buying it. No way they have a clue about timing between weigh ins and wrestling start time. 

Did the BOC have a problem with moving the mats?  Did the BOE demand that I stand directly behind my wrestler waiting to get on the podium last year or I would be removed from the floor?  Who gives security orders to threaten coaches who step across the line in the literal dirt on the floor?  Did some other organization require “someone” to cuss at me when I asked about mats to be used for the youth state when it was held the day after HS?  

4 minutes ago, cmccoy said:

I knew the beatings were coming. It's all good. C. McCoy is out.

No beatings. Just help me understand where I am wrong. I’m a Christian man so I’m all about forgiveness and second chances, but at some point you have to come to the realization that the situation is what it is. As much as you may want to put lipstick on the pig it’s still a pig and stinks really bad. 

All of the transgressions, present and past, need to be brought to light. It doesn’t have to be on this forum, but it needs to be vocalized. Tell your head coach, tell another coach, tell your AD, tell your region rep. Don’t be afraid to speak out. People are listening. And the time will come when the incidents that Ranger experienced and the incidents others have experienced will come to light and those involved/supervising/administrating are going to have the spotlight on them. 
The media loves a good story, and don’t we have stories to tell!

6 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

We can not put a podium on school grounds, but we can have an offsite location and we are currently trying to secure that.

The perfect location is 2280 Executive Drive, Lexington, KY - 40505

BOC and BOE do not have a clue for the most part. I’ve watched almost every BOC meeting until they powers that be for us pulled the plug. In one of the last meetings one BOC member stated they didn’t have a clue how wrestling works because their school didn’t have a team... simply put I think it’s asinine that the timing wasn’t discussed nor was it sent out to kywca to give input on prior to the release. That’s not anyone’s fault but the Khsaa offices.

Our areas BOC who’s school does NOT have wrestling nor do I think they will ever get a team due to politics and ignorance never returned emails to me with questions earlier this yr when I asked specific questions and would’ve liked to provide feedback to him about our sport. 

what this crap has taught us is, Khsaa needed to consider coaches in the planning process more than what they have. They also need to swallow their pride in it as well. As each year passes our quality of wrestling in Ky is getting better and the state continues to hold us back. 

Until we get wrestling folks in the state office and/or on the BOC it will continue to be the talking point yearly imo. Coaches association is doing all they can do For it imo. The BOC lack of knowledge has hurt our sport all yr with out a doubt. 

I just want to recognize 3 guys that deserve it, because they too will not get their recognition in person at state. Every year we honor our Hall of Fame class before the finals. This year we inducted Coach Joe Carr Sr., Coach Chris McCoy, and Coach Tim Ruschell. These men have given much of their life to wrestling and to developing kids into adults. While I know they are all humble beyond words and it doesn't bother them, I hate they miss be honored in front of everyone like our Hall of Fame members of the past. Thank you again for all you contributions to Kentucky Wrestling. 

2 hours ago, coachteater said:

I just want to recognize 3 guys that deserve it, because they too will not get their recognition in person at state. Every year we honor our Hall of Fame class before the finals. This year we inducted Coach Joe Carr Sr., Coach Chris McCoy, and Coach Tim Ruschell. These men have given much of their life to wrestling and to developing kids into adults. While I know they are all humble beyond words and it doesn't bother them, I hate they miss be honored in front of everyone like our Hall of Fame members of the past. Thank you again for all you contributions to Kentucky Wrestling. 

Congrats to you all and thanks for all your hard work and devoted service to your communities and kids as well as our sport.

14 hours ago, cmccoy said:

I have given this a lot of thought and I was told not to post anymore. After dying twice and fully recovering (which led to me stepping down as head coach) and now volunteering, I just want to put my opinion out there and spread some truth. Let the beating commence but I hope you listen to a little of what I have to say. Mike Barren truly does a passion to build wrestling. So does Julian Tackett as well. You have to remember that they answer to the BOC (Board of Control) and the Kentucky Department of Education. As someone who worked closely with the KHSAA, I understand your frustrations but there is more to it than many of you know or pretend to know. It's very easy to hide behind a keyboard and say what you want. Like they say, "What does not kill you makes you stronger." I can take the beating I am about to get. I just hope you will step back and realize it is not black and white. There are several gray areas....especially during a pandemic. 

Chris out of high respect to you personally I will take your word on Mr. Barren's sincerity to building wrestling.  I have always believed Mr. Tackett has been pulling for us, this goes way back to the numerous talks I have had with him when he was our direct administrator. I also understand that the BOC controls them on the larger issues.  I don't however believe that the BOC micromanages the whole sport.  My guess is that GRC has a policy in place which will not allow a podium.  If that be true. 1.  Why don't they tell us that 2. Why hold it there in the 1st place. (They do not offer wrestling and possibly have more strict COVID rules)

My biggest complaint is the no true second at Semi-state.   I find it hard to believe that the BOC would micro-manage this much. It is the small things that have me questioning sincerity. 

I hope you are doing well and staying as healthy as possible.  We need people like you around for a long time. 

I would agree with goo that Tackett was very supportive when he was focused on wrestling. I recall sitting in face to face rules clinics with him and he definitely wanted to collaborate with the coaches. 

On 3/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, grappler-of-old said:

Chris out of high respect to you personally I will take your word on Mr. Barren's sincerity to building wrestling.  I have always believed Mr. Tackett has been pulling for us, this goes way back to the numerous talks I have had with him when he was our direct administrator. I also understand that the BOC controls them on the larger issues.  I don't however believe that the BOC micromanages the whole sport.  My guess is that GRC has a policy in place which will not allow a podium.  If that be true. 1.  Why don't they tell us that 2. Why hold it there in the 1st place. (They do not offer wrestling and possibly have more strict COVID rules)

My biggest complaint is the no true second at Semi-state.   I find it hard to believe that the BOC would micro-manage this much. It is the small things that have me questioning sincerity. 

I hope you are doing well and staying as healthy as possible.  We need people like you around for a long time. 

Let's see what happens at GRC after the Girls Region basketball tournament. I would venture to say they will cut down the nets, have a all Region team presentation, and a trophy presentation