Sign in to follow this  
Lowsingle

No podium or awards

16 minutes ago, coachteater said:

Also its my understanding that medals will be given out onsite, but no podium. 

What about the awards from the coaches association? Will they also be able to be given out? Are they doing the bracket boards for all the champions?

“Congrats on your state championship. You can pick up your medal on your way out the door.”

And they want us to believe they treat every sport with the same respect? 

If we aren’t getting what’s needed from the KHSAA, when do we go to the state school board or whoever they report to?  

• Upvote 1

The last time I checked there are 112 student athletes, their coaches and 448 family members participating in a high school gym. There are 2 maybe 3 KHSAA people administrating the tournament. This tournament is not the military or made of some construct that the participants and coaches cannot dictate what may or will happen. The coaches that will be at the state tournament have enough prowess and pride to make the appropriate changes regardless of what the KHSAA says this time. Our sport has a tremendous group of coaches and I have no doubt if they work together a great many things will be accomplished.   

12 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

“Congrats on your state championship. You can pick up your medal on your way out the door.”

And they want us to believe they treat every sport with the same respect? 

If we aren’t getting what’s needed from the KHSAA, when do we go to the state school board or whoever they report to?  

Totally agree on going over the heads of KHSAA. Everyone has a boss. Noise needs to be heard at a higher level because KHSAA isn’t hearing it. After all they are the ones that kept us in A “Barn full of Dirt“  for almost a decade. 

27 minutes ago, NO-OX 1 said:

Totally agree on going over the heads of KHSAA. Everyone has a boss. Noise needs to be heard at a higher level because KHSAA isn’t hearing it. After all they are the ones that kept us in A “Barn full of Dirt“  for almost a decade. 

Imagine if they told the KY basketball community they were gonna play the sweet 16 in a horse park on a dirt floor lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bestmistake33 said:

Imagine if they told the KY basketball community they were gonna play the sweet 16 in a horse park on a dirt floor lol

And the winners can pick up their trophy on the way out the door in a cardboard box 

1 hour ago, NO-OX 1 said:

Total disregard for the health of the competitors, coaches, and fans. 

4 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Total disregard for the health of the competitors, coaches, and fans. 

You mean the group in charge that rescinded legislation of a health and safety rule because they were tired of taking calls about it and being asked to enforce it?  Never would have guessed. 

CONTINUOUS Total Disregard!!!!

Its exact same with weighs in and start times. Disregard for the health of competitors. 
Ignorance or Arrogance, no excuse for either. If I ran my company this way , I would be out of business 

I can’t believe what I just read.....30 minutes to weigh in, skin check, eat/hydrate, warm up, and then wrestle? Is KHSAA really that ignorant? As a resident/former wrestler in Ohio with a nephew wrestling in the KY state tournament; this is completely insane! Ohio ran a fairly normal Sectional, District, and State tournament this year without incident. I realize that KY is lagging behind surrounding states when it comes to wrestling, but I also know many programs in KY are working their butts off to close that gap. KHSAA is either clearly disconnected or intentionally working against these programs and athletes. It’s a real shame. The aesthetics of the podium and standing on it to be recognized is one thing, but creating a situation where an athlete could be potentially not performing at their highest level due to lack of time for proper food digestion and warm up? That’s absurd! 

• Upvote 2

So watching the nky news last night, they showed a regional basketball game in which St. Henry beat Cov Cath, the seats were packed almost full to capacity from what I could tell. And we as parents/coaches are being limited to watch these athletes from home if we’re lucky. Players and some fans stormed the floor, it looked exciting, as if we were back in time. But I guess those COVID rules don’t apply like most have said here. Good luck young men this weekend. And God bless you coaches for putting up with this insanity

• Upvote 3

So heres where we are at. 

Awards will be given at the school, but not totally sure the process. Likely handed out at as you leave. There will be same awards as usual. 

We can not put a podium on school grounds, but we can have an offsite location and we are currently trying to secure that.

Weigh in will go very fast, 8 scales and officials.  This will allow kids time to warm up before start, and I believe the time between entry and weigh in, they can get on mats to start stretching as well 8-830.

9 is official start time they must set, but we could/likely will start a little later. Thats not guaranteed,  but depending on how things go. 

Kywca and khsaa are in constant communication and Mr. Barren is working with us with in the limits he has. 

Just know we are trying and are voices are being heard. Best of luck to all and I will give updates as soon as I know any

We can not put a podium on school grounds, but we can have an offsite location and we are currently trying to secure that.

The perfect location is 2280 Executive Drive, Lexington, KY - 40505

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So we won the lottery and get to be on the mat before weigh ins. So now kids just have to quickly get their shoes on to stretch and warm up PRIOR to weigh ins. Take note officials. If this is weight manipulation, it is KHSAA sanctioned. 

So let’s be optimistic. Kid gets through temp, skin, and weight check in 5 minutes. Runs to the stands to shove some food in his face because unlike those in charge he didn’t get a catered breakfast brought to him.  Another 5 minutes. Quickly puts his wrestling shoes back on and hits the mat for a real warm up for say maybe 10 minutes because you know they will clear the mats by 8:50 to mop and be ready to start on time. And what about the big guys. No way they are in the stands to grab food and get shoes on before 8:40. 
Please explain to me how 9:00 is the time that “they must set”?  Absolutely no reason in the world that time isn’t 9:30. 

52 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

So we won the lottery and get to be on the mat before weigh ins. So now kids just have to quickly get their shoes on to stretch and warm up PRIOR to weigh ins. Take note officials. If this is weight manipulation, it is KHSAA sanctioned. 

So let’s be optimistic. Kid gets through temp, skin, and weight check in 5 minutes. Runs to the stands to shove some food in his face because unlike those in charge he didn’t get a catered breakfast brought to him.  Another 5 minutes. Quickly puts his wrestling shoes back on and hits the mat for a real warm up for say maybe 10 minutes because you know they will clear the mats by 8:50 to mop and be ready to start on time. And what about the big guys. No way they are in the stands to grab food and get shoes on before 8:40. 
Please explain to me how 9:00 is the time that “they must set”?  Absolutely no reason in the world that time isn’t 9:30. 

I see projectile pancakes in your future again, lol.

A few years ago they weren’t allowed to roll up mats before finals.  Coaches did it anyway.   Because they worked together and didn’t take no as an answer.   The kids deserve proper time to warm up and prepare for matches.  It’s the bare minimum that we can give them.  They aren’t going to double forfeit every kid in the tournament.  Coaches need to stick together and dictate that the kids have the time needed to properly warm up.  No one leaves the mat until the kids are ready.  KHSAA continues to prove time and again that they don’t care about the sport, the experience, coaches, and most importantly the kids.   

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately there will not be as many coaches there this year.  Hope that those who are/can attending can get something done.  

I for one am kind of glad I am not going to be there to see all the poorly planned/run tournament unravel. I have seen much in my many years in KY wrestling but never have I seen a poorly run administration as this.  Mr. Barren seems to have very little time for the wrestling coaches/parents/ and lest of all wrestlers.  Is there a way to petition for a new administrator to our sport? Someone who will actually learn a little about the sport, someone who cares about the advancement of the sport.  And someone who actually cares about the kids who put their blood sweat tears and their families dollars into the sport.

KHSAA wants change? Well lets change it from the top down. The loudest voice we have are from the MaMa's and PaPa's, coaches will only be set aside and told to talk to their AD or principal. Moms and Dads have the real power, coaches only volunteer their time (most put the little money they make back into their program), and will be told they can be easily replaced.  

There will always be champions in our sport. Be it on the mat winning a state title or off the mat getting these kids to put forth the effort to win.  The question is how are we going to congratulate these champions? How are we going to celebrate their victories large and small.  The parade of champions is a start, but we need more. We need to make sure this time in their lives will always be remembered happily, not with a plastic bag while they leave. 

-----stepping down from my soapbox-----

These are the opinion of GOO you can take them or leave them.  In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. 

I have given this a lot of thought and I was told not to post anymore. After dying twice and fully recovering (which led to me stepping down as head coach) and now volunteering, I just want to put my opinion out there and spread some truth. Let the beating commence but I hope you listen to a little of what I have to say. Mike Barren truly does a passion to build wrestling. So does Julian Tackett as well. You have to remember that they answer to the BOC (Board of Control) and the Kentucky Department of Education. As someone who worked closely with the KHSAA, I understand your frustrations but there is more to it than many of you know or pretend to know. It's very easy to hide behind a keyboard and say what you want. Like they say, "What does not kill you makes you stronger." I can take the beating I am about to get. I just hope you will step back and realize it is not black and white. There are several gray areas....especially during a pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, cmccoy said:

I have given this a lot of thought and I was told not to post anymore. After dying twice and fully recovering (which led to me stepping down as head coach) and now volunteering, I just want to put my opinion out there and spread some truth. Let the beating commence but I hope you listen to a little of what I have to say. Mike Barren truly does a passion to build wrestling. So does Julian Tackett as well. You have to remember that they answer to the BOC (Board of Control) and the Kentucky Department of Education. As someone who worked closely with the KHSAA, I understand your frustrations but there is more to it than many of you know or pretend to know. It's very easy to hide behind a keyboard and say what you want. Like they say, "What does not kill you makes you stronger." I can take the beating I am about to get. I just hope you will step back and realize it is not black and white. There are several gray areas....especially during a pandemic. 

Ok Chris. Nice to have you back. But explain to me how starting at 9:00 vs say 9:30 is black and white on the KHSAA side?  And if it is gray why can that not be compromised?

7 minutes ago, cmccoy said:

I think a lot of the issues stem from a lack of open mindedness from the BOC/KHSAA and a lack of communication. I don’t think collaboration is a bad thing. In fact, this was the perfect year for the BOC/KHSAA to collaborate with those of us who have been involved in the sport for 20+ years and travel in the offseason. They're spread so thin with all the other sports, it’s impossible to be an expert at all of them. It would have been a great opportunity to mend fences and come up with solutions together to strengthen a working relationship with KHSAA and coaches. Instead, out of the 5+ proposals that were suggested by those of us heavily invested in the sport, they went their own way without any regard to parents, coaches and athletes. Julian Tackett, himself, said “we don’t need to get input from coaches. We can just tell them what we are going to do.”  (I believe that quote was in the February BOC meeting.)  I don’t discount the difficulty they must have during a crazy year, but self awareness is an honorable quality. There’s no crime in being ignorant of the sport of wrestling as it is a complex sport to understand. However, it is a great disservice to those of us involved when those who admittedly know little about the sport try to regulate it while remaining in that state of ignorance.