Sign in to follow this  
Lowsingle

No podium or awards

Then the Coaches association should get together and have the weight classes meet outside on a separate podium and hand out the awards and bracket boards for parents to take pictures. Parents should be able to do what they want once they leave the gym and the KHSAA has no liability of what happens with the athletes. If a podium needs built, I’m sure we have people on here willing to chip in. I’ll build one and bring it down or we borrow the one from the middle school association. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Some of these kids have set goals and dreams all for the reward of standing on a podium to receive their medal. It’s not like kids are going to get Covid in the 2 minutes it takes to get up there after wrestling all over each other. After all the season has thrown us, the KHSAA can’t even get this part right? I forgot. We just better be thankful we got a season.  These wrestlers deserve better. Let’s bring our own podium. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

Didnt KHSAA throw the last podium in the dumpster a few years  back?

I believe you are correct. Then a few coaches got together to have a new one built. At least that’s what I recall. 

13 minutes ago, JonWoo said:

Hmmm... middle school managed to have a full tournament, with podium, without issue... high school should take note. 

You are correct.  MS didn’t miss a beat.  Full brackets, no attendance restrictions, parade of champions, and nice podium (albeit in the back room).  Damien said in the coaches meeting that we needed to show the KHSAA it could be done, I think the MS succeeded in that.  That being said, I feel bad for all of the high school kids who deserve that same treatment, many of them who may have finally reached that podium in their last year.  

11 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

And have to give a big high five to Brandon Cornett and John Roth on the fabulous job they did when they built that podium for the MS. 

Agreed!!! The whole MS experience has been top notch for years!! Heck Oh-Way just had 10 mats, podiums faceoffs and fans too!! Who wants to place a wager that the team trophy will be on the floor with the winning team celebrating at Rupp Arena for the Boys and Girls basketball. So   Wrestling coaches, what are we going to do? Scotty Teater what can be done on behalf of the association?

5 minutes ago, gameface said:

Agreed!!! The whole MS experience has been top notch for years!! Heck Oh-Way just had 10 mats, podiums faceoffs and fans too!! Who wants to place a wager that the team trophy will be on the floor with the winning team celebrating at Rupp Arena for the Boys and Girls basketball. So   Wrestling coaches, what are we going to do? Scotty Teater what can be done on behalf of the association?

Have to fight back. No other choice. I was told by a former coach in the wrestling hall of fame that “It’s time for the coaches to grow a pair and step up and challenge the KHSAA”. 

• Upvote 5

Let me see if I got this right. We started the season at the peak of COVID. We have been on a downward trend with COVID infections since the beginning of the season. Our tournaments have increased in size and in frequency during that time. CDC says 3ft is okay, now. We have vaccines. But, the KHSAA is going to err on the side of caution and eliminate any form of tradition(s) the wrestling postseason may have. Those kids who wrestle each other can’t stand next to each other. Good time for KYWCA to step in. 

6 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Let me see if I got this right. We started the season at the peak of COVID. We have been on a downward trend with COVID infections since the beginning of the season. Our tournaments have increased in size and in frequency during that time. CDC says 3ft is okay, now. We have vaccines. But, the KHSAA is going to err on the side of caution and eliminate any form of tradition(s) the wrestling postseason may have. Those kids who wrestle each other can’t stand next to each other. Good time for KYWCA to step in. 

And don’t forget it will be said by some that “they have done this across the board with all the other sports”. Never mind that maybe that sport occurred months ago during the peak of the pandemic or prior to vaccines or numbers down where counties are in the yellow. I keep forgetting to just be thankful for the bread crumbs offered up. We have the ability to fix this just like the year a thoughtful coach and father went out and purchased all the bracket boards and handed them out to the state champions. Or when a group of leaders provided plaques for the wrestlers that put so much in to their craft. So what can we do for these wrestlers? 

• Upvote 1

How about something very simple I’d like to see the KYWCA grow a pair and push back on. 
Weigh in 8:30  Wrestling 9:00

Really. Less than 30 minutes to get though weigh ins, get some food and drink in your body, get suited up, warm up, and be ready for one of the biggest matches of the entire year. 

They are always in such a hurry to get this event over that we never give the kids appropriate warm up time, but this year is worse than ever. What are we in such a big hurry about?

8 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

How about something very simple I’d like to see the KYWCA grow a pair and push back on. 
Weigh in 8:30  Wrestling 9:00

Really. Less than 30 minutes to get though weigh ins, get some food and drink in your body, get suited up, warm up, and be ready for one of the biggest matches of the entire year. 

They are always in such a hurry to get this event over that we never give the kids appropriate warm up time, but this year is worse than ever. What are we in such a big hurry about?

This is first Ive seen or heard anyone bring the issue up. An email was sent this morning and they promptly responded. They feel that the wrestler will have the appropriate amount of time to weigh in and warm up before match.

Several people on KYWCA including myself,  Philip Dettwiller,  Josh Ashbrook,  and Che Founder have been in contact with KHSAA over all these issues.  Here is the issue,  its their event and we do not have the power everyone thinks we do. We can't just say do this and expect them to do it. We talk to them about issues, give them plans we feel will work, communicate the frustration of wrestlers/coaches/parents, and try as hard as we can to get the best for our kids, but at the end of the day its their decision.  

Have “we” ever been able to get anything we wanted or suggested?  Aside from going against their wishes to move mats or provide extra awards, providing recommendations appears to be a waste of time and energy and only increases the frustrations. 

53 minutes ago, coachteater said:

This is first Ive seen or heard anyone bring the issue up. An email was sent this morning and they promptly responded. They feel that the wrestler will have the appropriate amount of time to weigh in and warm up before match.

Several people on KYWCA including myself,  Philip Dettwiller,  Josh Ashbrook,  and Che Founder have been in contact with KHSAA over all these issues.  Here is the issue,  its their event and we do not have the power everyone thinks we do. We can't just say do this and expect them to do it. We talk to them about issues, give them plans we feel will work, communicate the frustration of wrestlers/coaches/parents, and try as hard as we can to get the best for our kids, but at the end of the day its their decision.  

It's the first you've seen or heard anyone bring it up because most tournaments give at least an hour between weigh in and competition.  What frustrations were communicated from KYWCA to the KHSAA?  What plans were proposed?  What issues have been brought up?  

19 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Have “we” ever been able to get anything we wanted or suggested?  Aside from going against their wishes to move mats or provide extra awards, providing recommendations appears to be a waste of time and energy and only increases the frustrations. 

Yes, the supplemental medals and bracket boards are one thing we got allowed by khsaa, they did not want this for a long time. Also moving a round to Friday night was a suggestion that got done. 

90% of the time we get nothing, but there have been a few things. But its not from a lack of trying. 

My understanding it was less allowed and more the leadership at that time just made those awards happen. 

The time has always been an issue. They won’t let kids on the mats prior to weigh ins and rush them off to get the parade started as quickly as possible. And now the time is significantly reduced to a point where there is almost no prep time. 30 minutes?  Really? 30 minutes to get weighed in with skin check, eat, get your shoes on, warm up, and get focused on the biggest match of the season. Total nonsense. If I’m a 106 how can I get a really good warm up in and really blow my lungs out when I will have to step right back on the mat for that first match immediately?

4 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

My understanding it was less allowed and more the leadership at that time just made those awards happen. 

The time has always been an issue. They won’t let kids on the mats prior to weigh ins and rush them off to get the parade started as quickly as possible. And now the time is significantly reduced to a point where there is almost no prep time. 30 minutes?  Really? 30 minutes to get weighed in with skin check, eat, get your shoes on, warm up, and get focused on the biggest match of the season. Total nonsense. If I’m a 106 how can I get a really good warm up in and really blow my lungs out when I will have to step right back on the mat for that first match immediately?

It was definitely something they got approved,  and after the first year it had to be modified to khsaa's liking by doing plaques.  

I 1000% agree with warm ups and thats why as soon as I seen the post, I emailed khsaa at 6:30am. Apparently I wasn't the first to call either. I expressed the same feelings, asked about possibly starting weigh in earlier or pushing wrestling back. They disagree and thats were we are. 

I know they are the government presiding over our sport and we should just fall in line and follow all their rules( input sarcasm) but I have to believe somewhere that rules apply to what is and isn’t allowed to happen. So I share a small piece of something that I found within a ultimate ride out  timeframe!! Now during that time I can tell you it seems like eternity, but for people being paid and sitting up in the KHSAA Ivory tower creating these random rules as they go, wouldn’t something like this be helpful?  

• Like 1