Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Brackets are out

7 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Whoa. Hate to hear that. Are they going to roll up seeds?

Looks like they did. Weird we didn’t do that last week. 

Giannone has been a kid I really enjoyed watching and working with the last couple years. Hate to see his season end like this but I’m sure he will be back and better next year. 

17 minutes ago, JStrayRN said:

What does this mean for the rest of Semi-state 4.  We were told our kids (Lafayette), were exposed at the tournament.

Let the kids wrestle. But also, isn’t there a mandatory quarantine? Sticky situation. 

10 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Looks like they did. Weird we didn’t do that last week. 

Giannone has been a kid I really enjoyed watching and working with the last couple years. Hate to see his season end like this but I’m sure he will be back and better next year. 

Yeah the fact they didn't do that last week and did do it this week makes absolutely no sense. It should have been done at both tournaments. SMH

Yesterday the Lafayette kids were dropped from the bracket and seeds were rolled up.

This morning, looks like they were added back and put in at the 8 seed.

Does that make sense to anyone?

2 minutes ago, WrasslinCoach said:

Yesterday the Lafayette kids were dropped from the bracket and seeds were rolled up.

This morning, looks like they were added back and put in at the 8 seed.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Since they already made the decision of NO ALTERNATIVES no matter what.  Then it makes sense that they did it. (it becomes a forfeit and they are definitely not going to win a match so 8th seed)   What does not make sense is that they didn't do it last week. 

Can anyone clarify if a forfeit can be awarded to a wrestler if his opponent doesn't show up and weigh in for the tournament. I thought that would be a bye. I was under the impression that a forfeit can only happen if the wrestler shows up and weighs in. 

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

Now pin points are added in like it’s a forfeit. Wow. 

In most matches I would think the 1 seed would get bonus points over the 8 seed.  The teams with 1 seeds should not be at a disadvantage because the KHSAA has FUBAR'd this post season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

In most matches I would think the 1 seed would get bonus points over the 8 seed.  The teams with 1 seeds should not be at a disadvantage because the KHSAA has FUBAR'd this post season.

The KHSAA framework of the post season structured that if a wrestler doesn’t weigh in, weigh’s in and doesn’t wrestle or any other reason, the forfeit is scored like a pin and advancement points for the 1 seed. As you said, there’s a likely chance the 1 seed is going to get bonus points for their team in that match if the wrestler showed up and wrestled. Sad to see this happen to 2 great kids. I wonder what happens to others in that bracket that wrestled them that day if they did get contact tracing at the Semi State 4 event. 

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

Now pin points are added in like it’s a forfeit. Wow. 

Pins and forfeits are both 2 points in tournaments. At 170, Ryle received 2 championship advancement points, 2 bonus for the forfeit and 3 points for winning the quarterfinal round. 

Good Lord! I pray that this madness is over with as we roll into next year's season. This all feels like a bad dream. I, for one, am looking forward to off-season tournaments that do not have the restrictions or "oversight" of the KHSAA or the BOE looming in the background. The kids are the ones that suffer the most in all of this, and they deserve our (adults) best effort to ease that suffering. Too many athletes are missing that once in a lifetime experience of high school "glory." For some, it may be that State Championship, while others may want to qualify for the tournament or just compete week to week. Maybe one day we'll look back at this year and laugh at the craziness and it will be a footnote in one of GOO's lists. I hope that's the case, but some of these young men will have a bitter taste from it all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lowsingle said:

Can anyone clarify if a forfeit can be awarded to a wrestler if his opponent doesn't show up and weigh in for the tournament. I thought that would be a bye. I was under the impression that a forfeit can only happen if the wrestler shows up and weighs in. 

Well considering they said last week was round 1 of the state tournament, carry over of team points, giving an extra pound as this is day 2, the wrestler actually weighed in last week to be in the tournament.  Same as not making weight on day 2.  Turns to a forfeit.  Do I like it, no, but I can follow the logic of it.  Kids name has to remain in bracket by their rules because he will still be a stat placeras the 8th place medalist.

1 hour ago, Tbagnky said:

. Maybe one day we'll look back at this year and laugh at the craziness and it will be a footnote in one of GOO's lists. I hope that's the case, but some of these young men will have a bitter taste from it all.

OH man don't make me put an asterisk in this years qualifiers and placers LOL. :D

* The year of COVID

5 hours ago, Chris Duke said:

Good point. I feel for the 8th seeds that get the pleasure of seeing Nance and Duke first. 

6 hours ago, bestmistake33 said:

Any big upsets so far?

Brooksbank over Virzi and Moore

Messerly over Lehman

Simpson over Rodriguez 

Villums over Andreoni 

Slayton got ejected 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, possumdaddy said:

Why was he ejected 

It was a close match and he got pinned in the third then threw his headgear and walked off without shaking hands. It wasn't terribly egregious but the officials looked justified to me. Unfortunate for Seth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 385 said:

It was a close match and he got pinned in the third then threw his headgear and walked off without shaking hands. It wasn't terribly egregious but the officials looked justified to me. Unfortunate for Seth.

I think what got him the second time was he took his singlet off while still on the mat