Sign in to follow this  
VisionQuest

Region 8 and Semi-State 4

I would like to give thanks to Martin County for the well run tournaments.  The tournaments were both very well ran by their coaches, staff, and parents.  Special thanks to the ladies who provided the hospitality room from this old coach.

Edited by VisionQuest
Word omitted
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VisionQuest said:

I would like to give thanks to Martin County for the well run tournaments.  The tournaments were both very well by their coaches, staff, and parents.  Special thanks to the ladies who provided the hospitality room from this old coach.

You got a hospitality room? Lucky...

To anyone that was there yesterday and saw how bad the officiating was inform who ever is in charge of the officials. You Do not want the same ones doing actual state!!

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mc85 said:

To anyone that was there yesterday and saw how bad the officiating was inform who ever is in charge of the officials. You Do not want the same ones doing actual state!!

Three of the officials worked the state tournament last year and all three done a fantastic job. Geez quit crying and get better. Which team were you pulling for?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad you thought that the officiating was good and the tournament was ran well. But, when there are several missed calls and several bad calls, that does not look good for the officials. And when you get done at 9pm at night with 8 man brackets, the tournament was not ran well. There was way too much down time with empty mats. 

• Upvote 1

One of the problems we are having in KY is getting new officials.  I don't think we have had many new officials here in NKy in the last 10 years. We have had some officials from Ohio come over but they are still in short order. 

I believe that SS3 (r5,6) was over at about 6. 

7 hours ago, Jegators22 said:

I'm glad you thought that the officiating was good and the tournament was ran well. But, when there are several missed calls and several bad calls, that does not look good for the officials. And when you get done at 9pm at night with 8 man brackets, the tournament was not ran well. There was way too much down time with empty mats. 

Officials miss calls in every tournament.  Weigh-ins at 10:00 and wrestling starting at 11:00 had a lot to do with later finish.  The only breaks in wrestling were necessary.  Cleaning mats between rounds.  There was a little longer break between the blood round and placement matches but unless the rule has changed and I am unaware of the change wrestlers have a required time between bouts.  I say very well ran by Martin County.

• Upvote 1

Wrestlers required to have a 45 minute break in between matches. When running a tourney thru track there is no way around that time scheme. Once results are put in for a bout the time adjusts and will put a time stamp on the next time the wrestlers are able to go. It sucks but it is very efficient. When it is a smaller tourney, it is almost inevitable that you will have to slow down the tourney.

Martin County was a great host for the tournament, always helpful and friendly. I appreciated the cleaning of the mats and the reminders in between to wear masks. I loved that they had cleaning personnel working all day to keep everything clean, including bathroom. 
They did start pretty late in the morning, but for people who had to travel, they had an option to leave in the morning instead of having to stay the night. It ended late no doubt, but well run. 

8 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

One of the problems we are having in KY is getting new officials.  I don't think we have had many new officials here in NKy in the last 10 years. We have had some officials from Ohio come over but they are still in short order. 

I believe that SS3 (r5,6) was over at about 6. 

And one of the reasons we don't get or keep officials is from the constant harping about how bad they are.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

And one of the reasons we don't get or keep officials is from the constant harping about how bad they are.

Oh I agree 100% To many people argue judgment calls.   You can't argue if someone was out of bounds or pinned.  There is no way people can see that from the stands.  If it is a technical call that is called incorrectly then the coach should be able to point that out and it get changed.  

Otherwise leave these guys alone on social media.  They have a huge job to try and get correct.  Coaches should and most do, talk to the your referee's after the event, about what they saw may need improvement and question calls after the fact in a calm manner. This helps the young guys get better. Not badgering them on social media and trying to get them banned from officiating.

29 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Oh I agree 100% To many people argue judgment calls.   You can't argue if someone was out of bounds or pinned.  There is no way people can see that from the stands.  If it is a technical call that is called incorrectly then the coach should be able to point that out and it get changed.  

Otherwise leave these guys alone on social media.  They have a huge job to try and get correct.  Coaches should and most do, talk to the your referee's after the event, about what they saw may need improvement and question calls after the fact in a calm manner. This helps the young guys get better. Not badgering them on social media and trying to get them banned from officiating.

I agree big shortage of officials and it makes some new people who don't know wrestling at all start just to earn money. At regions we had a guy that didn't know what a Peterson was and awarded 2 near fall for the other guy and no reversal or any points for the kid that hit it. When explaining this to the ref he just said nope. Now it didn't cost the kid the match but could have. I know we need new guys but we have got to find a way to get them trained some before doing post season and even high school matches period. I get it we all have to be patient and I am thankful we have enough to at least wrestle but we have to find a way to start training them better.

14 minutes ago, panthers said:

I agree big shortage of officials and it makes some new people who don't know wrestling at all start just to earn money. At regions we had a guy that didn't know what a Peterson was and awarded 2 near fall for the other guy and no reversal or any points for the kid that hit it. When explaining this to the ref he just said nope. Now it didn't cost the kid the match but could have. I know we need new guys but we have got to find a way to get them trained some before doing post season and even high school matches period. I get it we all have to be patient and I am thankful we have enough to at least wrestle but we have to find a way to start training them better.

I personally think our officiating Saturday in Semi-state #1 was solid ;)

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, panthers said:

100% agree. And region/semi-state should NOT be training time. 

20 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

I personally think our officiating Saturday in Semi-state #1 was solid ;)

This weekend wasn't my Regionals it was last week and yes I had no problems this week. But more importantly I am just saying in general this should never be a problem we have if training was required.

3 minutes ago, panthers said:

This weekend wasn't my Regionals it was last week and yes I had no problems this week. But more importantly I am just saying in general this should never be a problem we have if training was required.

I know it wasn't.. I had the convo with you about the call Saturday. Good to see you this weekend as well

20 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

I know it wasn't.. I had the convo with you about the call Saturday. Good to see you this weekend as well

As you old friend wish you guys well and a quick return to the mats. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, VisionQuest said:

Excellent one.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:09 AM, VisionQuest said:

I would like to give thanks to Martin County for the well run tournaments.  The tournaments were both very well ran by their coaches, staff, and parents.  Special thanks to the ladies who provided the hospitality room from this old coach.

What is this mysterious thing you speak of “hospitality room “ ?

1 hour ago, possumdaddy said:

What is this mysterious thing you speak of “hospitality room “ ?

My thought exactly. SS3 had no hospitality room no concession no way to get food or drink.  Coaches show up at 8 and leave at 6 on a bus with no way to hydrate or eat. 

27 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

My thought exactly. SS3 had no hospitality room no concession no way to get food or drink.  Coaches show up at 8 and leave at 6 on a bus with no way to hydrate or eat. 

You should have sent the honeymooner out for a food run.