Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Congrats to all that placed at state.

2 hours ago, DrBaker said:

4 unranked kids made it through. 
6 ranked 20-25

9  ranked 15-19

15 top 5 didn’t make it. 

Michael Barren, Julian Tackett, thank you for being insouciant in your decisions this year towards the kids. You have made many enemies, I’d imagine everyone in the wrestling community besides Coach Matney. Your negligence in decision making has given the KHSAA a black eye that no words you can express will wipe away the stain. Hope to have a candid and concrete conversation with you next week at state. Congrats to the kids that qualified. They went through the rigors of a season dictated by the KHSAA, Tackett, and Barren, but many kids were left at home in order to check the box of “having” a wrestling state tournament. I hope the KHSAA and BOC sleeps well at night knowing audacity they had to ignore the recommendations from the Kentucky wrestling community. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrBaker said:

4 unranked kids made it through. 
6 ranked 20-25

9  ranked 15-19

15 top 5 didn’t make it. 

I am in not implying it was done the way it should have been but very curious, how many top 5 kids didn't place in the top 8 last year? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Whizzer(d) said:

I am in not implying it was done the way it should have been but very curious, how many top 5 kids didn't place in the top 8 last year? 

I don’t have the exact stats in front of me (sitting at a gymnastics state meet), but pretty sure the number of kids ranked below 16 who make the podium is usually really low. I would guess in the current track era (last couple years where we get decent result reporting) that number is less than 5 a year. 

3 hours ago, The Whizzer(d) said:

9 of the top 5 last year did not place last year.

Zero unranked.

4 ranked 20-25

6 ranked 15-19

Another interesting question would be the individual rankings in each weight class who are still wrestling?  The weight I looked at the 1,2,3,4,6,7, 11and 15 are in there.  So in the 'blood round' the 5th ranked was pinned by the 4 ranked and the 7th beat the 8th four to one to advance. Those kind of matchups do happen in the blood round.  

Last year in that weight the 1,2,3,4,6,10,11 and unranked were the top 8. 

1 hour ago, The Whizzer(d) said:

Another interesting question would be the individual rankings in each weight class who are still wrestling?  The weight I looked at the 1,2,3,4,6,7, 11and 15 are in there.  So in the 'blood round' the 5th ranked was pinned by the 4 ranked and the 7th beat the 8th four to one to advance. Those kind of matchups do happen in the blood round.  

Last year in that weight the 1,2,3,4,6,10,11 and unranked were the top 8. 

It’s really not that far off from an unseeded state when you look at it that way.